Rear coilovers on e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why deal with E36 stuff?

Just call Vorshlag and they will set you up with an AST true rear coilover. You can go single, double, or triple adjustable.

Springs will have to be 2" dia. for clearance issues on the E30 chassis.

Comment

Going from the stock rear spring/shock setup to rear coil-over is going to change the spring to wheel rates, but it's not going to change much anything else in terms of rear suspension geometry though . I don't see many benefits to this at all It's not going to be multi-link or have a different camber changes...
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
        There is nothing McPherson about the rear suspension in e30s.
        Well, this is a Modified MacPherson pictured below. I didn't know that the fact that our lower arms are "trailing" made it different.

Comment

Originally posted by mazur View Post
          Well, this is a Modified MacPherson pictured below. I didn't know that the fact that our lower arms are "trailing" made it different.

We are talking about E30's right? That picture is not an E30, nor does it bear any resemblance to an E30 rear suspension.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Going from the stock rear spring/shock setup to rear coil-over is going to change the spring to wheel rates, but it's not going to change much anything else in terms of rear suspension geometry though . I don't see many benefits to this at all It's not going to be multi-link or have a different camber changes...
              yeah, why do this?

Comment

Sorry, was just posted that pic to show what I meant to the guy I quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by lance_entities View Post
                  yeah, why do this?
                  fuhraze bragging rights.

Comment

Sorry, was just posted that pic to show what I meant to the guy I quoted.
                    It's a big difference.

Comment

if you really want to get technical, theres no such thing as a rear Macpherson strut- its termed a Chapman strut after Colin Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter View Post
                        if you really want to get technical, theres no such thing as a rear Macpherson strut- its termed a Chapman strut after Colin Chapman.
                        Assuming this is a diagram for a rear drive car, it is indeed a MacPherson strut. It has no provision for driving the wheels but does show connection points for steering input. Another clue is that the sway bar is labeled “Front”.

FWIW, the setup was named for Earl S. MacPherson who developed it for Ford in the 1940’s. It was actually invented by a guy named Fornaca working for FIAT in the 1920’s. As you correctly point out, Colin Chapman applied it to the rear suspension so it’s referred to as a Chapman strut in that location.

Comment

I Can't be the only one here who has long since ran my own rear coilover setup...

It uses an aluminum threaded body Bilstein shock that was custom valved etc etc.

Comment

Trent, what dia. spring is that? Shock length? Any rubbing issues on the gas filler line?

Comment

thats a beefy looking mount trent. why is it soo hard to believe that no1 else has made their own setup though?
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

does anyone else think that having wider rubber might outweigh the rear coilover idea? or is that just me??

Comment

Working...
                                X