Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the BMWCCA/NASA event @ PIR....

...I now have a new problem.

Now how do I fix it? Thicker front swaybar I guess? :)

Here's a link to more pics from the event: http://hancocks.smugmug.com/gallery/...3_dX6gR#P-1-15

Front sway bar suggestion is sarcastic, right?

I'm not sure it's a problem that really needs a solution. If you want to keep that down, try more rear spring rate or more rear bar, if you're running one.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      Front sway bar suggestion is sarcastic, right?

I'm not sure it's a problem that really needs a solution. If you want to keep that down, try more rear spring rate or more rear bar, if you're running one.
      More rear bar? Hmm...I took out the stock one to help the grip in the rear, which it did.

I was thinking thicker front/rear sway bars to cut down some more on the lean. Seems to be a significant amount personally...

And I thought this would help keep the front tire planted since there'd be less weight transfer. I guess I'm wrong?

Comment

Pandashow brethen!

Comment

Think about what a sway bar actually does... As you apply more "up" load to the outside wheel, the sway bar basically moves that "up" force to the other wheel... bigger sway bar = tire farther off ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            Pandashow brethen!

Originally posted by matt View Post
            Think about what a sway bar actually does... As you apply more "up" load to the outside wheel, the sway bar basically moves that "up" force to the other wheel... bigger sway bar = tire farther off ground.
            I see. That makes sense. Thanks

Comment

I know a couple of track car E30 owners who removed the rear sway bar - both agreed it made for an improvement in grip. What about different spring rates in back to better control body lean/roll? What are you currently running now? Are you running in a class which limits your options?

Jon
              Rides...
              1991 325i - sold :(
              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                I know a couple of track car E30 owners who removed the rear sway bar - both agreed it made for an improvement in grip. What about different spring rates in back to better control body lean/roll? What are you currently running now? Are you running in a class which limits your options?

Jon
                I currently run 450/750.

I was just thinking about getting some aftermarket swaybars front and rear and using the adjustability to hone the handling.

Comment

Isn't the solution simple?

Don't drive as fast.

You're too fast Richard.

Slow down.

;)
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Don't lose track of suspension basics. Most of what a sway bar does is keep the camber of the outside tire correct (meaning no worse then neutrally vertical) when the car rolls. But it does it at the expense of putting additional weight on the outside tire and lifting the inside tire. The weight transfer issue is significant because your inside tire will lose more traction then the outside tire will gain.

Springs, camber settings and swaybars are a "system", and you have to treat them as such. So all 3 need to be considered as a group. And also the balance of front vs. rear needs to be considered. A car has a "roll center" and a "center of roll resistance" which is a significant issue for sway bar balance.

And finally: Traction is good. Lifting a tire less so.
                    www.Gress.org

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. -E. Burke

NASA SpecE30 #6, BMWCCA #161
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X