E30 weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 weight loss

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

good read.....

There are a few things i'm thinking about for this summer's autocrossing.
    The jack and spare are already out, and i'm thinking about going No A/C.
    If i only used A/C twice in three years, do i really need it? Is it worth 50lbs?

Also, can the sound deadening be removed from the cabin, and carpet, headliner, etc put back. How much of an effect would this have on ride comfort and the like?

Sample:
    Losing Weight For Fun and Profit
    I. Hood
    A. Fiberglass Ireland Engineering Race Hood (-32lbs)
    I. Trunklid: Up high, affects cg.
    A. F/g Ireland Engineering Race (-12lbs)
    I. Air Conditioning System
    A. Removal of compressor and brackets (-45lbs)
    B. Removal of associated lines and wires (-5lbs)
    II. Fan
    A.Replacement with electric aftermarket (-5lbs)
    II. Headers
    A. Ireland Engineering Ceramic Coated Shorty (-7lbs)
    III. Exhaust
    A. Custom 2.75” headers back, no cat (-20lbs)
    I. Seats
    A. Sparco Evos (-58lbs for both)
    B. Back seat removal (-26lbs)
    E. Carpeting Removal (-15lbs)
    III. Ducting
    A. Leftover A/C ducting removal (-3lbs)
    IV. Sound Deadening
    A. Removal of sound deadening in cabin and trunk (-55lbs)

II. Trunk Stuff
    A. Removal of jack, trim, etc (-12lbs)
    B. Removal of spare and replacement with space saver spare
    (-15lbs)

Now, to add a little weight: 6pt roll cage and triangulated
    strut tower braces (+110lbs)

What you have been waiting for: Total Weight Lost, '89-'91- 332 lbs, '84-'88- 364.5lbs
    On a 318iS with no sunroof, that equals (going by 2600lb curb weight) 2282lbs, fully fueled.
    On a 1990 325i, that equals (going by BMW published 2811lbs curb weight) roughly 2454lbs

Don't forget to note Charlie's comments. You do most of those things in that list and you're in SM, which you might as well bend over and lube up for.

I would keep the jack and spare. The spare is what, 30 lbs? Well worth the peace of mind. And the jack can't possibly weigh more than 5lbs. You might as well take a shit before you get in the car.

Comment

I wish my car weighed 2400lbs!

Before you remove the padding from under the carpet consider that the floor under there isn't flat, it's got all kinds of dips and plateaus just like the floor of the trunk. This could be annoying to some people; I've heard complaints before.

I agree with you on the AC, I just removed mine last week; But I agree with Bill on the jack and spare; not worth the peace of mind.
      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

'91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

95' M3.
                90' 325i Turboed.
                87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

how much does the '84 318i weigh stock? i've heard that it weighs about 2300lbs, but i don't know if that's true or not.

Comment

did you ever consider the effect removing all that weight from the rear has on the weight balance of the car? E30s are already a bit front heavy; removing another 50 lbs from the rear can't be good for balance. plus what happens if you get a flat? :)

I say ditch the A/C if you don't use it. I consider it from time to time, but my car is fairly unmolested so I'm hesitant to go that far. sometimes it is nice to have, extra weight be damned.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Since someone bumped this thread from beyond, I might as well update.

My parents were really critical of me wanting to take out the A/C. They told me I couldn't, but it wasn't until I realized I could remain in Class B in Windy City Auto-X without it did I agree to keep it. (Same with the 35+ lbs of sound deadening in the trunk)

So I guess A/C stays, at least through college, when it will be my daily driver. I can take it out next year, if I so choose, say my parents. Have to see where I am on mods and class statis at that time. If I ever do the MAF coversion, or 4.10 LSD, I'd be bumped anyway.

For now, I'll drive with A/C I don't use, and spare tire/jack just out of why the hell not.

Comment

When you remove a/c with all the lines, you also remove fan, and a/c radiator which will drop little more weight, and with out a/c it isn't that bad, you turn switch to cold, turn it up and air still blows and feels like eletric fan blowing air.

5 years in U.S. and my English still sucks!

:)
                        95' M3.
                        90' 325i Turboed.
                        87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kavkazia
                          hahaha, don't worry bro I understood you. Fack it, who needs doors.......there's a nice weight reduction

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

anyone know just how much paint and primer goes onto the cars? i mean there's gotta be like 20lbs or more right there. who needs paint anyways/

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH!
                              Originally posted by Kavkazia
                              hahaha, don't worry bro I understood you. Fack it, who needs doors.......there's a nice weight reduction
                              hahaha, you're crazy man, btw when are you coming down to the shop? Turbo is on already, you have to see it man!
                              95' M3.
                              90' 325i Turboed.
                              87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X