Roll Cage Sources Post em Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emre View Post
    One thing I've never understood about the VSR rollbar is why the backstays have that funny s-curve:

Why not just make them straight?
    I'd guess they're bent to clear the rear seat in a street car. Please be aware that most HPDE/Track Day sanctioning bodies require unbent bars for the rear hoop braces. Consult your rulebook before purchasing.

On the wiring issue, I pull wires out of the way whenever possible. However, sometimes a lengthly rewire would be in order. I will not simply do that on my dime. It can take hours to properly reroute a factory wiring harness if it's even allowed by the class rules. I know for a fact that there's not enough wire in an E30 rear wiring harness to simply pull it around to the "inside" of the cage, especially on a node like McMahon/rollcageguy.com built (McMahon is definitely the best builder on the east side of the Midwest ;) ) Anyone here willing to spend another $300+ on top of the cost of the cage to rewire? I've had about 2 in the last 50 or so cages. Most choose to do it themselves later, and most don't end up doing it at all.

The wiring in the E30's rocker is fairly well protected and I wouldn't worry about it too much
    Scott Rhea
    It's not WHAT you build, it's HOW you build it
    Izzy's Custom Cages

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
      Get real. I don't write rules. I just applie them. And if the rule book specifies that no wiring shall be caught between sheetmetal and cage, then be it. Maybe some people here who don't believe in passive safety should also suggest that helmets and Nomex are not really needed. Shhh...
      Lee, what groups have this rule? I'm hoping to have a pretty easy time swapping between SCCA/NASA/BMWCCA later on, and if it's an issue with any, I'd like to know. I can't find any mention of this in the NASA CCR or Spec E30 rules.
      '89 325i track sloot
      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Guys.

I just happened to be perusing the internet and came upon this thread . . . I don't often visit R3V .. . and post rarely . . just too busy with life . .;-(

The VSR bar as pictured here and on the website was originally built this way to create rear seat room for a street track car. That said, these images are 7-8 years old, and we no longer build the roll bar this way. The rear legs are completely straight now to meet SCCA GCR requirements, and the center x brace can be oredered welded in place vs the removable section

It is still built from .095 DOM tube with base plates 3/16" thick steel plate.

Mario L.

VSR1 | Bedford | BMW Repair | BMW Service |

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
          Lee, what groups have this rule? I'm hoping to have a pretty easy time swapping between SCCA/NASA/BMWCCA later on, and if it's an issue with any, I'd like to know. I can't find any mention of this in the NASA CCR or Spec E30 rules.
          BMWCCA requires wires not be sandwiched between sheel and cage. I don't know about NASA. And it more has to do with being safe than just following th rules.
          Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I can't finad any mention of this in NASA, BMWCCA (US if it matters), or SCCA rollcage rules for 2009, or even back to 2004 for SCCA. I must be missing something. Would you care to point it out, specifically? I just can't find it in the rulebooks.
            '89 325i track sloot
            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
              I can't finad any mention of this in NASA, BMWCCA (US if it matters), or SCCA rollcage rules for 2009, or even back to 2004 for SCCA. I must be missing something. Would you care to point it out, specifically? I just can't find it in the rulebooks.
              Why don't you ask BMWCCA's national technical steward directly? It might save you time. I guess it is also common sense that you don't want to crush wires and risk electrical fire after an impact.

Because many cage builders didn't really care before, doesn't make it okay now. That problem was highlighted by some technical scrutineers when I was helping them at BMWCCA races, and recommendations were made to every single racer, which was already a couple of years ago. But what can be done when the cage is already built?

Lee
              Last edited by Massive Lee; 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

I e-mailed Bruce Smith. I can understand your point, and I don't argue the validity; I just want to clairify the rules, since a lot of cars run with cages that would otherwise meet the given rules. Isn't the electrical kill switch used to prevent electrical fires after an incident?
                '89 325i track sloot
                '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

It was actually Bruce Smith, and his then mentor Clement Schmidt, who highlighted the "situation". Maybe if I have time, I should find any note in FIA's papers.

Let's say you have a crash and the A pillar gets hit, to the point that it is crushed against the cage, you will not have time to hit the kill switch. Fire hazards scare me, especially when there's fuel nearby. After a big hit, you might even be unconscious for a few minutes.

Just my 02 cents. Put all the chances on your side.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

What Lee is preaching is just good common sense. Any good cage builder is going to discuss wiring with the client prior to welding the cage in. If something can't be re-routed around the cage then the client needs to be informed and decisions made accordingly. It's obvious that Simon's car was not finished in those photos and the offending wiring could easily be (and probably was) moved.

Another vote here for McMahon cages if you are local to them. Their cages are well thought out and their build quality is superb. If you are looking for a bolt in Bar (not cage), the VSR Roll Bar and it is a nice quality piece. I had one before I started building cages.

Comment

Ive got the VSR bar in my car but I welded the whole thing solid.

Fits pretty nice. I had to bend the floor plates to get it to fit the body better.
                      Underside.

Ive since seamsealed and latex undercoated over the plates.
                      No rust for me.
                      I hate the bent bar behind the driver though. I think it looks cheesy, one day i'llchop it out and change it.

Hunter
                      We're out there in here.

Comment

Never dealt with these guys in St. Louis, but Izzy's Custom Cages (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com) has a VERY good reputation locally.

Feff
                        MVP Track Time :mrgreen:

Comment

E30 cab roll bar

does anybody know a company that makes bars for E30 cab? i have been searching and everybody says the same thing, "We dont make them for convertibles."

Comment

GromaFab Duarte,CA Ed or Mano nice work but custom..
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                            X