California BAR S52 Swap E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California BAR S52 Swap E30

I am looking to BAR my 1989 E30 with an S52 engine and would like to hear peoples stories and personal experience, the more recent the better.

Particular things about my S52 is that it is OBD1 converted. I am not trying to pass it off as an S52 but likely an M50 or S50 and I know this could lead to complications but I have seen and heard of people doing this so I think I am willing to take the risk. I have a brand new CAT that is meant for this swap that I am waiting to get welded in before I go get it BARd. There is a few more things I need that I need to finish like my EVAP problem before I for sure pass a sniffer test. The engine itself was refreshed and stock before I put it in. I more so am wondering what questions will they ask and what other information will they need from me? What will they be checking for? I am running a red label 413 ECU but it being OBD1 I don't think that should be a problem, but if you know anything about that input is appreciated. As far as visually it looks just like an M50 with the intake manifold and the oil cap being in the back. First time using this forum bit I believe I attached a photo. Thank you guys :)

What’s the exhaust setup?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      What’s the exhaust setup?
      S52 Exhaust manifolds, kept double piping all the way through cats and stock 325i muffler, planning on changing it after this whole BAR thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hectorop View Post
        I am looking to BAR my 1989 E30 with an S52 engine and would like to hear peoples stories and personal experience, the more recent the better.

Particular things about my S52 is that it is OBD1 converted. I am not trying to pass it off as an S52 but likely an M50 or S50 and I know this could lead to complications but I have seen and heard of people doing this so I think I am willing to take the risk. I have a brand new CAT that is meant for this swap that I am waiting to get welded in before I go get it BARd. There is a few more things I need that I need to finish like my EVAP problem before I for sure pass a sniffer test. The engine itself was refreshed and stock before I put it in. I more so am wondering what questions will they ask and what other information will they need from me? What will they be checking for? I am running a red label 413 ECU but it being OBD1 I don't think that should be a problem, but if you know anything about that input is appreciated. As far as visually it looks just like an M50 with the intake manifold and the oil cap being in the back. First time using this forum bit I believe I attached a photo. Thank you guys :)
        I just did the smog referee last week . Message me and I can explain what I had and what they looked for

Comment

I started this, but never made it to BAR inspection (yet).
          They said they wanted the VIN of the S50 donor car.

Will message prisonerofdoom8 too.

Comment

I'm S50 swapped and wanted to hear a little more info on this matter in lame man's terms.

Here's my set up:

TRM tune
            24lb injectors
            No canister
            Stock manifold to Y pipe
            Single 3" to resonator and muffler

​​​​​​​What am I missing here?
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I'm S50 swapped and wanted to hear a little more info on this matter in lame man's terms.

Here's my set up:

TRM tune
              24lb injectors
              No canister
              Stock manifold to Y pipe
              Single 3" to resonator and muffler

​​​​​​​What am I missing here?
              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Working...
              X