Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New paint needed in the Bay Area and Hello :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New paint needed in the Bay Area and Hello :-)

Hello dear All,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the e30. I have a delightful street driving '89 cabrio - much loved but infrequently driven since the COVID began. Well, I drive it maybe once a week these days. Maybe once a month on Highway 101.

I do hope this is not a loaded question - as my first post.

I think my car needs new paint. The original '89 paint is wearing off. The primer is showing through the trunk lid in a couple spots.

What should I expect to pay for this service in very general terms? I've heard $4000. I've heard $10,000. I want the work performed in a reputable and established shop.

I'll start with saying that I do not want a very inexpensive paint job. I'll also say that my car is not a $250,000 race car either. It is the beloved car of a 50 year old woman who wants to roll with it as long as she can. It makes me happy.

If you share your thoughts about $ in your area, pls let me know your approximate location. Prices do vary regionally. I'm looking for your thoughts on costs, and shop recommendations are welcomed as well.

Thanks, Kelly :-)

Hi there! I've had three cars painted in Sunnyvale, but unfortunately the guy that did them is no longer in the business, so I can't refer him. For all of them, I paid $3-4k, but I brought completely stripped shells to the shop for them to work on, which saved a lot on labor. If you're looking for a more end-to-end process, expect to pay more around 5-6k. Of course, this also goes up if there's additional bodywork, or if any trim needs to be replaced with new items.

An additional complication is that many shops these days refuse to work on older vehicles and prefer insurance jobs. I haven't been there personally, but I have been referred to Tiger's Auto Body in Brisbane as a shop that will work on more interesting stuff like our cars. I'm also having some work done on an E30 at Silver Star Auto Body in San Carlos, and can post back in a few weeks with an update once it's done.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the forum!

It depends on how much detailed work is required.
      Good bodywork takes time, more so if they are doing metal work in lieu of slapping on bondo/filler.

A good bodyshop will find dents that you didn't even know were there.

Are you wanting to change the colour? That starts adding up especially if you want to match the door jambs, engine bay, etc.

Comment

Hi Kronus and Panici,

Thanks for the great replies.

Well, I want the black color to remain black. So this is easier. :-)

There are a couple minor dings from other car doors hitting my car in a parking lot.

There are also minor paint chips from road gravel hitting the car while it is moving.

Happily the body is very clean because it has not been in an accident.

Thanks, Kelly :-)

Comment

Working...
        X