• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
    I heard it was a JDM b17 swap.
    not even a k series motor?

Comment

Fix head gasket, send the head out for a refresh/decking, get a cam. Go 5speed and be happy. The is wayyyyyy easier to work on and they sound better :)

Comment

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
        To do a M20 headgasket RIGHT it will cost you about $400 if you do it yourself. This includes a complete HG set, head bolts, and having the head cleaned, pressure tested, and resurfaced.

Doing a 24v swap RIGHT will cost you a LOT more.

PS: I do M20 headgaskets. ;)
        how long does it take to get the head cleaned pressure tested and resurfaced? one day turn around or next day? I may be facing this dilemma myself...

Comment

Originally posted by mcr_driver View Post
          how long does it take to get the head cleaned pressure tested and resurfaced? one day turn around or next day? I may be facing this dilemma myself...
          Matt, it was one day for my head. It got a valve grind, valve adjustment, new valve seals, bead blasted hot tanked, decked , pressure/crack tested. Everything taken apart and put put back ready tobe installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert23 View Post
            $1000, from top to bottom. Including harness. I keep starter, exhaust & flywheel back.
            M50 w/ s50 cams and a chip
            Holy cow, you've got some huevos to ask that kind of money! How does justin feel about that?
            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
              If you're set on 24v anyway, I say just do a new hg and bolts. It'll run you less than $50 and hold you over till summer. The 'do-it-right-ers' might disagree, but that's what I'd do in your situation considering money/time/circumstance.
              True... that would be the ghetto way, but my 2nd cylinder has had low compression for a while now, and I'm guessing that's part of the problem.

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
              Fix head gasket, send the head out for a refresh/decking, get a cam. Go 5speed and be happy. The is wayyyyyy easier to work on and they sound better :)
              How much did that cost for the head to get repaired? And a 5-speed would be in the budget on both options.

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                Holy cow, you've got some huevos to ask that kind of money! How does justin feel about that?
                Thasss what I said.
                My buddy who you took home with the m50 turbo sold his arp/mls prepped m50 with ZF for $500.

Granted it's not swap friendly since no e34 pan, I still think he was around a good asking price.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Another issue is that my parents are getting pissed that I am doing work on the car in the garage so I'm going to have to move my car onto the street soon. :|

Comment

Originally posted by turge View Post
                    Another issue is that my parents are getting pissed that I am doing work on the car in the garage.
                    Get your shit together and have Matt do it.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I got a deal, I paid 200.

Look at it this way, spend 700 max vs 1700 for a 24v swap. That 700 would be a refreshed head, all new gaskets and related parts along with a 5speed swap. Thats even if it gets that gigh.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                        Thasss what I said.
                        My buddy who you took home with the m50 turbo sold his arp/mls prepped m50 with ZF for $500.

Granted it's not swap friendly since no e34 pan, I still think he was around a good asking price.
                        I remember this.

Comment

@Mkc

You weren't kidding when you said Lea e 2 solid says for the swap. Not even done at the end of day one.. Not even gonna bother catching up on the rest of the thread cause I'm freakin tired..

Good luck with your m50 @ Turge. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Get your shit together and have Matt do it.
                            True true... that is an option. I should have a plan together by next Friday (since payday is Friday).

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                            I got a deal, I paid 200.

Look at it this way, spend 700 max vs 1700 for a 24v swap. That 700 would be a refreshed head, all new gaskets and related parts along with a 5speed swap. Thats even if it gets that gigh.
                            I see... but spending $700 just to replace that with a 24v swap later on seems kind-of pointless, although I could just sell the engine later when I do the swap. How much do m20's usually go for? $300 - $500?

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                            @Mkc

You weren't kidding when you said Lea e 2 solid says for the swap. Not even done at the end of day one.. Not even gonna bother catching up on the rest of the thread cause I'm freakin tired..

Good luck with your m50 @ Turge. ;)
                            ty good sir.

Comment

A fresh cammed m20 will pwn a stock m50, so why swap?

Comment

by cammed you mean increasing it from a 2.5 - 3.0 or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X