This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    you can afford a nice engine but can't afford to get it tuned?
    Sigh...
    sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Well, what am I looking at to get it done? I'm fine with paying a shop depending on what it'll cost. I'd just rather learn at the same time too. And I was looking around for Bay Area shops and I couldn't find much at all.
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I think custom tunes start @$500 and go up from there. Really wanna pay some1 who knows what they are doing or *poof*, no more engine.

Also it should be tuned in the car it's going to be ran in. Loads on the engine are going to be different depending on chassis.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
          Well, what am I looking at to get it done? I'm fine with paying a shop depending on what it'll cost. I'd just rather learn at the same time too. And I was looking around for Bay Area shops and I couldn't find much at all.
          Isnt KAmotors on this board tuning his own turbo? Might go to him for some direction or recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            Isnt KAmotors on this board tuning his own turbo? Might go to him for some direction or recommendations.
            Yup Kameron does all his own tuning using TunerStudio and a USB plug into to a laptop. That allows fine tuning of all the MegaSquirt Settings.

WhoDWho on this board sells a Fully Built Plug and Play MegaSquirt 2 setup that is built right in a DME box and allows one to make all the necessary connections.

When you get the box it comes with a "base tune" that will start the car and allow it to run. He then offers excellent customer service to help through the process to learn how to modify the fuel and timing maps so that one can learn how to tune on their own. There is also a piece of software that works with Tuner Studio called MegaLog Viewer that is run while you drive and it logs all the different rpm ranges and throttle positions , etc . Then you just bring that data into Tuner Studio and it helps "autotune" for you.

Do yourself a huge favor and download the sample of Tuner Studio and get familiar with all of its functions and learn what supporting hardware will be needed. ie. Wide Band , AFR , What version of megasquirt you have running, etc. You are on the right track on trying to learn how to properly manipulate the MS Turner Studio so that you can self tune. If you tune from a shop then you are always on the shops "teet" . Not so if you study and learn the ins and outs of tuning yourself. It frees you from those repeat 300 dollar dyno sessions.

Then after you have done your research contact WhoDWho and beg him to give you some pointers for some Paypal funds. Most people are helpful when backed with cash! Dont expect his input unless you are prepared to compensate him for it or have purchased one of his units directly.

Failure to take some or all of these steps will result in a thread like this in the future. "Well Guys I did it- I blew my Turbo M20 and Im pissed."

The Turbo M20 is only part of the equation and with out the other pieces of the puzzle and the willingness to learn and become proficient well there is disaster in the future. Not to put a black cloud over it but there will be some level of failure in the future with a turbo engine anyway as everyone always starts easy on the boost and then becomes turbo crack addicted and boosts the shit out of the engine until POP goes the fricken weasel.

Thats a learning opportunity though! :)

Congrats on the turbo M20 ! I would like to know its specs and see it running sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
              Yes he is, has an insane build too. He seems to know a lot about spark timing and stuff that I wanna learn.
              Originally posted by e30vert View Post
              Yup Kameron does all his own tuning using TunerStudio and a USB plug into to a laptop. That allows fine tuning of all the MegaSquirt Settings.

WhoDWho on this board sells a Fully Built Plug and Play MegaSquirt 2 setup that is built right in a DME box and allows one to make all the necessary connections.

When you get the box it comes with a "base tune" that will start the car and allow it to run. He then offers excellent customer service to help through the process to learn how to modify the fuel and timing maps so that one can learn how to tune on their own. There is also a piece of software that works with Tuner Studio called MegaLog Viewer that is run while you drive and it logs all the different rpm ranges and throttle positions , etc . Then you just bring that data into Tuner Studio and it helps "autotune" for you.

Do yourself a huge favor and download the sample of Tuner Studio and get familiar with all of its functions and learn what supporting hardware will be needed. ie. Wide Band , AFR , What version of megasquirt you have running, etc. You are on the right track on trying to learn how to properly manipulate the MS Turner Studio so that you can self tune. If you tune from a shop then you are always on the shops "teet" . Not so if you study and learn the ins and outs of tuning yourself. It frees you from those repeat 300 dollar dyno sessions.

Then after you have done your research contact WhoDWho and beg him to give you some pointers for some Paypal funds. Most people are helpful when backed with cash! Dont expect his input unless you are prepared to compensate him for it or have purchased one of his units directly.

Failure to take some or all of these steps will result in a thread like this in the future. "Well Guys I did it- I blew my Turbo M20 and Im pissed."

The Turbo M20 is only part of the equation and with out the other pieces of the puzzle and the willingness to learn and become proficient well there is disaster in the future. Not to put a black cloud over it but there will be some level of failure in the future with a turbo engine anyway as everyone always starts easy on the boost and then becomes turbo crack addicted and boosts the shit out of the engine until POP goes the fricken weasel.

Thats a learning opportunity though! :)

Congrats on the turbo M20 ! I would like to know its specs and see it running sometime!
              I have all that set up :) I just really want to learn it all rather than simply pay someone to do it. I have a tuning laptop in the e34 I just haven't had time to play with anything at all. I got home at 4:30am from buying the car in LA and left for a 10 day trip at 6:30. I'm in salinas right now and ill be heading to LA again tomorrow morning. I'm really excited about it all im just a bit intimidated.
              Originally posted by golde30 View Post
              I think custom tunes start @$500 and go up from there. Really wanna pay some1 who knows what they are doing or *poof*, no more engine.

Also it should be tuned in the car it's going to be ran in. Loads on the engine are going to be different depending on chassis.
              Thanks. I really want to learn about it because tunes are so temporary. If I adjust one thing I'm gonna be spending a few hundred every time.
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Great if you have a tuning setup then small changes are best. ;P
                Research as much as possible and get some help from WhoDWho or Kameron if you dont take it to a local tuner.

Comment

Great if you have a tuning setup then small changes are best. ;P
                  Research as much as possible and get some help from WhoDWho or Kameron if you dont take it to a local tuner.

Comment

New wheels.
                    Jonny saved my butt this morning when he helped me change my blown timing tensioner. PS there is mad oil all over the streets of Campbell this morning.

new wheels

Untitled
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Lol calling EPA on u.

Looks 10x better without those fugly style19.
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Looks so good Eric.

Comment

Hey to install a euro filler on my e30 I would need to drill? And the same for a US filler?

Someone is trying to sell me a "new" used u.s filler for 80 and a euro one for 50 aren't those prices a bit high?

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ
                            changing my major again..which means one more year at home.
                            i.suck.at.life.
                            OH WELL lol
                            noice. lemme guess, bus admin?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

anyone have a thin-wall deep 30mm socket?
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Wow, a few nuts were loose in the engine bay on the body harness and the car is all good now.

Yay

Comment

Working...
                                X