• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for moar lows, you will rub less

Comment

at least that's what the stance kids say

Comment

I'm runnning 700# spring rate in the rear so I can run a meatier tire with less rubbing. I have 225/50/26 stuffed all around without fenders rolled and hardly rub even with a full car, well maybe except on mild/hard turns and bad bumps.

I mean I guess Oliver is right about for less rubbing, but I'm not really that low soo yeah.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
          I'm runnning 700# spring rate in the rear so I can run a meatier tire with less rubbing. I have 225/50/26 stuffed all around without fenders rolled and hardly rub even with a full car, well maybe except on mild/hard turns and bad bumps.

Bout to upgrade to 650# rates in the back for moar lows

Feedback!
          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

What suspension are you running Steve?

Shocks/struts wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
              Bout to upgrade to 650# rates in the back for moar lows
              go higher rates. we dd on the 650s and i kinda want stiffer
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

I love the rates I have personally. 550f/700r. I hardly ever have complaints from passengers, and the car handles great.

I really want to switch up my wheels though. Go with a 15x8 front and 15x9 rear.

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                  for moar lows, you will rub less
                  I guess I can understand this, but trying to solve this with heavier springs is like putting using a band-aid to fix a broken arm...
                  Why not just roll the fenders, get different offset wheels, and add a degree more camber?

Messing with the suspension spring geometry (and essentially the handling of the entire car) is hardly what I call a solution to rubbing issues. You could probably handle better running a lower spring rate with 215s and never rub once.

Idk.. I'm beginning to question the holy grail "450f/650r" setup everyone seems to be jumping on the I-love-it-but-can't-explain-why-they-chose-those-spring-rates-other-than-the-cool-kids-are-doing-it bandwagon for.

Just a simple question, just wondering if anyone knew why it's typically wide-spread for e30s to run such high rear spring rates (or.. Much higher than the front that is)
                  Last edited by JinormusJ; 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM.

Comment

my car has mad under steer because I fly into corners to fast
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

@jack

Finding correct offset 4x100 wheels is hard enough as is, not to mention tire sizes are limited on 16" wheels.

Also, your argument of "Messing with the suspension spring geometry (and essentially the handling of the entire car) is hardly what I call a solution to rubbing issues. You could probably handle better running a lower spring rate with 215s and never rub once." Is not really good for those guys wanting lots of traction/meaty tires. Sure the car will rub less with 215's but wont have as much traction.

I am sure there is reasoning/logic as to why stiffer spring rates in the rear are better. Also, why do you say a stiffer spring rate messes with suspension geometry? I highly disagree with that. Lowering the car excessively messes with the geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by e30shmobberr View Post
                        hell-o
                        Are you getting new rear tires soon? If those 225/50's have decent tread left on them I will probably take them off your hands!

Car looks good btw.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Eyed Jack View Post
                          Just a simple question, just wondering if anyone knew why it's typically wide-spread for e30s to run such high rear spring rates (or.. Much higher than the front that is)
                          the rear has a mechanical advantage to the front because the spring is inboard of the half shaft. If you math it out, the effective rates are about equal, which is what you want.

FWIW it probably doesn't matter as much as you'd think. We just completed a race with 600# fronts and H&R sport rears because that's what we had kicking around. Car was neutral.
                          cars beep boop

Comment

I think we had this discussion/argument before

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              the rear has a mechanical advantage to the front because the spring is inboard of the half shaft. If you math it out, the effective rates are about equal, which is what you want.

FWIW it probably doesn't matter as much as you'd think. We just completed a race with 600# fronts and H&R sport rears because that's what we had kicking around. Car was neutral.
                              Actually, the rear is typically much less rate at the wheel than the front with basically all setups ever done on an e30. The motion ratio is ~.65 making the rate at the wheel about 42% of the spring rate. In order to attain equal rates the rear would have to be more than double the front.

The rate does matter, but it's only one variable of many when it comes to handling and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

I usually start by removing the tail and skinning it from the ass end. It makes life simpler that way because of the extraction point in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                                X