Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got the steering rack I bought off another r3v member. It was supposed to be a purple tag #678, but instead has a yellow tag and the part number ends in #712.

For those of you knowledgeable on steering racks, this is the early model one right?

Edit: Okay doing a little research the 712 and 678 are both late model ZHP racks, but they have a different feel. As to which one is the better one for an e30. I do not know.

Yellow tag pn reads 7852 974 712
    Stamped pn on rack reads 7852 501 656 071
    Last edited by mbonanni; 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      is .3MM really that much to worry about when the stock CR is ~8:1? I would run the Goetze headgasket you have now ...
      m20b25 885 head = 8.8:1 brosef
      The issue is if it has been decked too far. "no depth divots left" you will have interference issues.

you can see 2 in my photo
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

That is what I first assumed, interference. Looks like I will just keep looking for a head. I might call around to see if anyone else makes a +.3mm head gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
          Just got the steering rack I bought off another r3v member. It was supposed to be a purple tag #678, but instead has a yellow tag and the part number ends in #712.

For those of you knowledgeable on steering racks, this is the early model one right?

Edit: Okay doing a little research the 712 and 678 are both late model ZHP racks, but they have a different feel. As to which one is the better one for an e30. I do not know.

Yellow tag pn reads 7852 974 712
          Stamped pn on rack reads 7852 501 656 071

Check this out:

The yellow tag "712" rack is what you want off the ZHP. This is the more desirable rack. This is what my rack has on it, and this was purchased from Rack Doctor. The other "678" rack is supposedly a standard late model 330 rack. Kind of confusing to follow all the differences, but if you have the 712 rack, then you're in good shape.

Comment

I just read that three times before you posted. Took me awhile to realize which racks he was comparing the whole time. I think the seller was given incorrect information about the rack part numbers.

I have a yellow tag 712 rack, so I am good to go.

So, you have done this swap. Anything to look out for? Tips?

Comment

I just read that three times before you posted. Took me awhile to realize which racks he was comparing the whole time. I think the seller was given incorrect information about the rack part numbers.

I have a yellow tag 712 rack, so I am good to go.

So, you have done this swap. Anything to look out for? Tips?
              Make sure the rack is centered, get new crush washers for the power steering lines, and if you have leaky lines, probably best to replace those too. I also bought new tie rod ends since the rack came with the inner tie rods only. It'll nickel and dime you, but new parts means you don't have to worry about saving the 20+ year old odds and end that will probably fight you upon removal. I also replaced the rag joint on mine as well, but not necessary. Don't for get to bleed the system!

Comment

Thank you. I bought both inner and out tie rods, as that is what blunt recommended I use on the rack. Hopefully the inner tie rods are interchangeable.

Comment

Thank you. I bought both inner and out tie rods, as that is what blunt recommended I use on the rack. Hopefully the inner tie rods are interchangeable.
                  the e36+ cars have male inner tie rods. you will need e36 outters or do what i do and remove the inner tie-rod and screw in the e30 ones.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Oops yeah. I bought full e30 inner/outers.

Comment

Any e30 meets soon? My e30 passed smog and is legal to drive on the roads once again. :)

@mbonanni I need some of those!

Comment

Some what?

Comment

E30 tie rods. I'll just seeing if you were selling them but I'll just hit up blunt

Comment

whos down for a meet this friday???

please see san jose meet thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              m20b25 885 head = 8.8:1 brosef
                              The issue is if it has been decked too far. "no depth divots left" you will have interference issues.
                              It drops when you use the 885 head on an eta bottom end... either way under 9:1 is low compression. I dont pretend to be a M20 expert, but anyways... carry on
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                It drops when you use the 885 head on an eta bottom end... either way under 9:1 is low compression. I dont pretend to be a M20 expert, but anyways... carry on
                                doh i missed it if that was said. was thinking stock m20b25 numbers.
                                atleast get the seta pistons 8:1 CR is a bad choice.
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X