Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He said door cards and seats were M3..........
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      god damn you people... havin careers and aspirations and shit
      Dude, I am just as lost as the next guy. Frankly I just have an engineering degree and a shitty quasi-engineering job... I am trying for mechatronics because I felt I was better with mechanical/computer stuff despite getting an EE degree and mech has applications in ABS/stability control etc which is fascinating stuff to me.

My job pays shit, I live in the bay area and have expensive hobbies and I simply can't afford them while still having a normal life and a savings account. Since I've basically painted myself into a corner keeping this shitty job for so many years this seems like the most logical way forward in terms of progress and overall potential.

/r3v overshare

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        what about those of us who dont have FB???

@Nate, I will end up spending almost $500 on university applications and transcripts... Those deadlines and every schools different requirements are a pain in the ass, I missed the deadline last year and had to wait a year to try again. Time to act grown up :hitler:
        Dude, the GRE, which again is a pretty worthless test which runs on insanely outdated software, cost over $200 now. They just bump the price $10 every year.

Comment

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
          Those arent M3 seats eihter. M3 seats have double horizontal stitching. The vertical stitching are just regular sport seats.
          Told him they were just normal sports and bla bla bla and he said "Ok thanks"
          If I didn't want the car, I'd give him a lot of shot for posting "I know what I have" and not knowing what he has.
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by Steven View Post
            Lol do not change to a business major, everyone has a business degree. An engineering major will make you stick out and get you a 10x better job out of college.

I mean the job outlook is far better, I agree with that. But I'm not sure if it's what I'd like to do. With engineering, I instantly think of working on some pipeline or designing pumps or working on stuff I generally don't care about. The cool projects are out there, like working on new products with startup companies, but the downside is a smaller salary when working with these startups. Meanwhile you are guaranteed a much higher pay contributing on a much smaller portion of a project working for a big company or firm. The fun awesome jobs are out there, but you really have to stand out to get them, and I'm not sure if I will be that much better at math based concepts than others. Engineering no doubt is the safest major to achieve, because you'll always have work and every company needs an engineer's outlook and expertise.

If I don't continue with engineering, I'd like to explore my entrepreneur side. I'd like a business administration degree with a focus in marketing and advertising, while also developing and employing my graphic design and photography skills.
            Either way, I'll be taking technical classes often seen in engineering majors such as welding, design, manufacturing, etc.
            I feel even if I don't continue with the degree, I can supplement the business major with my other skills and hopefully be able to implement that into whatever I end up perusing a career in.

I'm not making any decisions right now, I have a little time while I'm here at my local JC. I'm taking a wide verity of classes (that fall under my GE requirements) and once I decide I'll work on my prerequisites and continue with whatever major it is I choose!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

I have to say, one of the blessings of working for big corporations was that they sponsored me to get my Series 7 License (for selling Securities, like stocks, not Pall Blart). That cost me nothing, but it was a 7 hour test that royally kicked my ass studying for, but once its done its done. Im currently trying to finish my Finance degree because my supervisors make more than me and are idiots, but they have a degree in addition to the license.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                Dude, I am just as lost as the next guy. Frankly I just have an engineering degree and a shitty quasi-engineering job... I am trying for mechatronics because I felt I was better with mechanical/computer stuff despite getting an EE degree and mech has applications in ABS/stability control etc which is fascinating stuff to me.

My job pays shit, I live in the bay area and have expensive hobbies and I simply can't afford them while still having a normal life and a savings account. Since I've basically painted myself into a corner keeping this shitty job for so many years this seems like the most logical way forward in terms of progress and overall potential.

/r3v overshare
                i thought i was making it obvious that i was just giving you a hard time, man. no judgment at all. even as a SW Eng i have trouble building up savings, so i completely understand.

also, while i was on the way back from picking up Simon's fenders, i got a call for a stage-hand gig. $150 for a few hours out in santa cruz, so i get to flog the BRZ on 17 for the first time. edit again: and i just got another final-interview request for a finance company in SF. karma is real :)
                Last edited by decay; 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM.
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

what are savings?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                    what are savings?
                    they're this thing you can have if you don't have a collection of cars
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                      what are savings?
                      Yeah I don't know either.

Comment

Lmao "m3 interior"

Bish there is not a trace of m3 parts inside or outside of that car.

"M3 door cards" lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                          I mean the job outlook is far better, I agree with that. But I'm not sure if it's what I'd like to do. With engineering, I instantly think of working on some pipeline or designing pumps or working on stuff I generally don't care about. The cool projects are out there, like working on new products with startup companies, but the downside is a smaller salary when working with these startups. Meanwhile you are guaranteed a much higher pay contributing on a much smaller portion of a project working for a big company or firm. The fun awesome jobs are out there, but you really have to stand out to get them, and I'm not sure if I will be that much better at math based concepts than others. Engineering no doubt is the safest major to achieve, because you'll always have work and every company needs an engineer's outlook and expertise.

If I don't continue with engineering, I'd like to explore my entrepreneur side. I'd like a business administration degree with a focus in marketing and advertising, while also developing and employing my graphic design and photography skills.
                          Either way, I'll be taking technical classes often seen in engineering majors such as welding, design, manufacturing, etc.
                          I feel even if I don't continue with the degree, I can supplement the business major with my other skills and hopefully be able to implement that into whatever I end up perusing a career in.

I'm not making any decisions right now, I have a little time while I'm here at my local JC. I'm taking a wide verity of classes (that fall under my GE requirements) and once I decide I'll work on my prerequisites and continue with whatever major it is I choose!
                          You're at JC now--what engineering classes and projects have you worked on? I didn't care for engineering for the first couple years of classwork courses, but loved the project courses.

I would also strongly disagree with your salary vs company size argument. If you're a mediocre engineer, you will get paid crap no matter where you are. If you're talented, you'll be well compensated, especially at a startup if your skills and expertise fill a missing void. If you're just one of a hundred people titled 'Pipeline Engineer I' you're a replaceable cog in a cubicle, and you will be paid accordingly. I've found the trend follows a bell curve. The tiny and largest companies either can't afford to pay you more or don't care whether you work for them, so they provide a lower salary, with a bell curve distribution of pay vs size in between the extremes.

Take entrepreneurship courses during engineering school! You don't need a business degree, and if you think about it, who will a startup hire to help get whiz-bang disruptive buzzword hashtag product out the door? The guy with the technical expertise in the area of interest, or some business guy who knows which end of the wrench to hold, but no design/analysis skills?

The point is: don't aim to be a mediocre engineer. You're absolutely right in that you need to distinguish yourself to get the cool jobs, so learn the skills, do the projects, and excel academically (this is not negotiable) to get the job you want and avoid cubicle hell. Also, work part time during school at actual engineering companies to gain experience to avoid the training wheel entry level jobs.

-engineer with a cool job who also screens and hires people
                          Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Hey Oliver, are you planning on using the M42's cat-conv in your 2002?
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

it's a 74 he doesn't need to

2man i'm back in SF tomorrow night, can pick up your fenders on Saturday if DK can't make it happen
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

-engineer with a cool job who also screens and hires people
                                who also has the only E36 I would want. Quickly went through your thread... and .... wow. Im very jealous of your setup, that car will be a beast on the track too.

I really need to finish getting mine BAR legal. Stupid cosmetic issues...
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X