This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
    Yeah the ABA swaps are popular. Well if Oliver is fa sho gonna take it, I'll text him tomorrow, I'm totally fine. If however his mind has changed, I'm down to put money into it for some god forsaken reason.
    the ABA is an 8V, and it'll still be faster than the car originally was, but you want the 16V. if i were to do it again, i'd finish what i started last time and replace the CIS fueling with megasquirt.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      the ABA is an 8V, and it'll still be faster than the car originally was, but you want the 16V. if i were to do it again, i'd finish what i started last time and replace the CIS fueling with megasquirt.
      Obviously talking hypothetically because I personally don't see it happening, would an M42 or similar swap even be possible? Or would everything, I mean everything, have to be relocated, modified and/or built from scratch?
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

well, you're talking about adapting a RWD engine to a FWD platform... you'd have to start by seeing if you could get someone to make you an adapter plate to mount the M42 with some FWD transaxle into the VW chassis.

given that the 9A (2.0-16V) makes the same peak power as an M42, with more area under the curve and a lot more power to be had from relatively simple bolt-ons (chip for the motronic ignition, megasquirt instead of CIS), that sounds like a giant waste of time/money.
        past:
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:

Comment

well, you're talking about adapting a RWD engine to a FWD platform... you'd have to start by seeing if you could get someone to make you an adapter plate to mount the M42 with some FWD transaxle into the VW chassis.

given that the 9A (2.0-16V) makes the same peak power as an M42, with more area under the curve and a lot more power to be had from relatively simple bolt-ons (chip for the motronic ignition, megasquirt instead of CIS), that sounds like a giant waste of time/money.
          Yeah the RWD to FWD would be my main question. I'm not gonna do it and to my knowledge, no one else has except for the Audi V8/AWD monster. Alright well I'll see if I end up keeping it. My goal for it now then would be to have a reliable GTI with some engine work here and there and maybe 180-200HP at the wheels
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

look into engine code ABF. it's a 2.0-16V that used the taller block from the ABA, and the longer rods that went with it. we didn't get it stateside, but you can put one together from available parts, and i think you might need the better rod:stroke ratio to make that kind of power, and probably headwork as well.

the RWD/AWD conversion golf chassis are all guys who've got lots of money to spend, like dahlbach. but that kind of money isn't really necessary to make one of these chassis fast and fun. they weigh 2000lbs if you take a little weight out... just put some more power in.
            past:
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:

Comment

look into engine code ABF. it's a 2.0-16V that used the taller block from the ABA, and the longer rods that went with it. we didn't get it stateside, but you can put one together from available parts, and i think you might need the better rod:stroke ratio to make that kind of power, and probably headwork as well.

the RWD/AWD conversion golf chassis are all guys who've got lots of money to spend, like dahlbach. but that kind of money isn't really necessary to make one of these chassis fast and fun. they weigh 2000lbs if you take a little weight out... just put some more power in.
              Yeah, well that power would be long term plan, not priority for sure. It's already been sitting for months anyway. Why is it that r3v knows more about VW's than VWVortex? Just remembered why I hate that place, everyone is an ruhtard
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
                Why is it that r3v knows more about VW's than VWVortex?
                i learned to work on cars with 1980s-era RWD toyotas and FWD vws. wonderfully simple and light little cars compared to what you get out of the box these days.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

i learned to work on cars with 1980s-era RWD toyotas and FWD vws. wonderfully simple and light little cars compared to what you get out of the box these days.
                  This is true, it is easy as hell to wrench on and probably the reason I can't move past mid 90's when searching for stuff
                  C6Z
                  S2K
                  VeloN

Comment

I cut my teeth on mk1s and mk2s, I owned 2 mk3s and one became the donor car for my first money pit, my 89 gti vr6. 5 lug swap, mk3 dash conversion, 2.9L cam'd VR6. I wish I moved over to E30s earlier but I also felt like BMW guys were douches and VW guys were more legit. As I got older, I saw that FWD has a ~200bhp limit and anything beyond that is a waste. I feel like the 24v swap in a E30 is very similar to a VR6 swap in a mk2, but better in every way
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

mk4 jetta was my second car. it was the worst car i have ever owned.

Comment

mk4 were mostly garbage #inb4cabrioletsayshowgreattheyare
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                          mk4 jetta was my second car. it was the worst car i have ever owned.
                          Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          mk4 were mostly garbage #inb4cabrioletsayshowgreattheyare
                          they arent. i liked the mk3 a lot better.
                          the crayon smell, the clutch is 3" taller than the brake pedal and that is taller than the gas pedal. and the ABA has a better power band than the AEG.
                          -terrible headlights
                          -terrible exhaust noise
                          -slow
                          mk4s suck
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

its kinda sad really. grew around air cooled and mk1s. it really turned me off to volkswagens

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                              its kinda sad really. grew around air cooled and mk1s. it really turned me off to volkswagens
                              i want my cabby back so much. or a 16v mk2.
                              I've had a lot of e30s but i dont really want any of them back. I dont even like the one i have. it always feels like something is off. my current one needs the wheels straightened. and i hate 4 doors. my m3 i hated the motor. my 325is' engine was rough and i hated the z3 rack. my mtech2 had too much wind noise and always leaked in the rain and the body was too soft. my 325 needed ac and paint. and my first e30 the red 325es got sold before i knew anything about e30s.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Eric, I will trade you straight up for mine ;)
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X