Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad wants a Porsche finally but doesn't have a huge budget. I told him to find a solid 914 but he wants a Boxster. What does r3v think?
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
      My Dad wants a Porsche finally but doesn't have a huge budget. I told him to find a solid 914 but he wants a Boxster. What does r3v think?

Never shoulda sold the m3!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

914 is my personal preference. Total analog car. Boxster is a good car too and a much better car to live with day to day. How often does he plan to drive? Can he wrench? Approx whats his budget?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
          Never shoulda sold the m3!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          914 is my personal preference. Total analog car. Boxster is a good car too and a much better car to live with day to day. How often does he plan to drive? Can he wrench? Approx whats his budget?
          Not a daily driver at all, pretty much gonna be like the M3 is now, a fun once a week or so car. Budget is around 10-12. I like the 914 because they're totally impractical and so raw. He likes the boxster for the total opposite reasons. I can lend a hand on a wrench if he needs it, he's not worried about that though.
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

The trouble with the 914 is the shifter. Finding a gear in a 914 is less that fantastic. The shifter is vague at best. 914s are cool. I dig them, I have a friend with a real 914-6 and another friend with a short stroke 2.6L 6 with a wide body on it (it rips)

Air cooled Porsche's are going up in value fast. Boxters on the other hand are getting downright cheap. You can find them for about the same price as a good E30.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
              Air cooled Porsche's are going up in value fast. Boxters on the other hand are getting downright cheap. You can find them for about the same price as a good E30.

Will
              That's another big reason I'm leaning towards a 914 too. The future will tell!
              Since you're in here Will, there's a couple 1600 roadsters that run and drive and look to be in good shape for sale in my price range and I've always liked them but never thought about owning one, would you advise me to stay away or go for it lol
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for the help guys. I passed smog this afternoon. I took the advice and changed the plugs, fuel filter, and oil. Then drove the car around town at high RPMs and did a few freeway pulls. I used a new station recommended by a couple friends and it passed fairly quickly as the guy running the shop did the test in 2nd gear. At least I'm off the hook for another 2 years :) Here's my numbers for reference. The HC count is still a bit on the high side, but it'll do for the time being.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                  I just wanted to say thanks for the help guys. I passed smog this afternoon. I took the advice and changed the plugs, fuel filter, and oil. Then drove the car around town at high RPMs and did a few freeway pulls. I used a new station recommended by a couple friends and it passed fairly quickly as the guy running the shop did the test in 2nd gear. At least I'm off the hook for another 2 years :) Here's my numbers for reference. The HC count is still a bit on the high side, but it'll do for the time being.
                  Hydrocarbons are certainly getting up there. I have the same thing with my pickup right now. However, congrats on passing!

Comment

That's another big reason I'm leaning towards a 914 too. The future will tell!
                    Since you're in here Will, there's a couple 1600 roadsters that run and drive and look to be in good shape for sale in my price range and I've always liked them but never thought about owning one, would you advise me to stay away or go for it lol
                    What year 1600 are they. 65s are different from 66s are different from 67s are different from 67.5 and the 68-70 are all pretty much the same. There was the annual Datsun roadster show in Solvang today. There were about 80 of them. The cool thing about the 67.5 and later cars is that its very easy to swap the 2L U20 engine in (135 or 150 hp depending on cam and carbs) I can tell you all could want to know about roadsters. They are good reliable cars once they are sorted. Some parts are crazy expensive, some aren't. In the 15 years I've owned mine its only been trailered home broken a handful of times, most commonly the issue was broken axles while racing. Shoot me a PM.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Thanks Will, PM sent!
                      My meet today was astonishing by the way. I got there at 8:45 and barely had a spot, the whole parking lot was BMW's and In N Out said to come back anytime. The most cars we had at one point was 42. Last Sunday of every month, come out next time!!!
                      C6Z
                      S2K
                      VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        Boxters on the other hand are getting downright cheap. You can find them for about the same price as a good E30.
                        damnit will- you're right, and now i kind of want one.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Asking for a friend - anyone have a functional radiator for a late auto 325?
                          Last edited by CarsonE30; 04-25-2016, 10:31 PM.
                          C6Z
                          S2K
                          VeloN

Comment

Who wants it?!
                            C6Z
                            S2K
                            VeloN

Comment

Trade it for the byzanz!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                                Trade it for the byzanz!
                                It's so tempting!!!
                                C6Z
                                S2K
                                VeloN

Comment

Working...
                                X