This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
    So I was set on the Direzza Z2's but they don't make them in a 15. I'd like to stick with the 15" wheel but I also really wanna run the Direzza's. Halp. Halp. Halp.
    Er...they totally do: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+ZII+Star+Spec
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
      Huh, I see them there but it won't let me combine the C1's and those as a packace. There's only the DZ102 that comes up in a 205/55/15. I can do 2 transactions though, not worried about it.
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

just get e38 weaves. no, you can't have mine.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          just get e38 weaves. no, you can't have mine.
          Can I have yours?
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

So I was set on the Direzza Z2's but they don't make them in a 15. I'd like to stick with the 15" wheel but I also really wanna run the Direzza's. Halp. Halp. Halp.
            The Hankook RS3s are available in a 225/45/15. These would be my choice if I were in your shoes. When I first got the M3 I was beating guys on Hoosier A7s with them. To me, that says a lot. Even super hot they didn't really get greasy.

I wish I could find a 15 inch wheel that would clear the tie-rod ends with the bump steer spacers installed. Perhaps I should get a set for the Datsun.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
              The Hankook RS3s are available in a 225/45/15. These would be my choice if I were in your shoes. When I first got the M3 I was beating guys on Hoosier A7s with them. To me, that says a lot. Even super hot they didn't really get greasy.

I wish I could find a 15 inch wheel that would clear the tie-rod ends with the bump steer spacers installed. Perhaps I should get a set for the Datsun.

Will
              225 for a 15x7? Or would you recommend a bit more footprint and getting them in a 15x8? Definitely looking at the RS3's too, I've just heard and seen so many people on the Direzza's, it's hard to go against them
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                after 6 continuous hours on track, they get greasy. trust me.
                cars beep boop

Comment

225 for a 15x7? Or would you recommend a bit more footprint and getting them in a 15x8? Definitely looking at the RS3's too, I've just heard and seen so many people on the Direzza's, it's hard to go against them
                  get 205/50r15s. it's more than enough tire for a stockish-motor e30, and they're cheap, and 15x7s are cheap.

many people have done tests on this, 205s on a 7 are about as fast as 225s on an 8. sometimes they are faster.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                    get 205/50r15s. it's more than enough tire for a stockish-motor e30, and they're cheap, and 15x7s are cheap.

many people have done tests on this, 205s on a 7 are about as fast as 225s on an 8. sometimes they are faster.
                    That's what I've read in the SE30 forum and in here. Like a few other people have said already, I don't have enough seat time to really need that .15 of a second a lap faster and I'm still just learning the limits of this E30, I just know that my current tires as total shit and aren't worth even AutoX'ing at this point
                    C6Z
                    S2K
                    VeloN

Comment

Tires are fun to talk about!

RS3 is also great for short open track day 20 minute sessions, but they do get greasy the faster you push them.

I was able to get Z1s greasy as well back when I had no idea what I was doing.

If you're going to be doing a lot of autocrossing, the RS3 might be the better option....but honestly, I'd say buy a set of one, drive them to the cords, buy the other one, then decide. Tires are polarizing, and what works for one driving style/car setup won't necessarily work for someone else.

Personally I prefer the way the Dunlops drive over the RS3/Rivals, but you won't know until you try both. For me, the Dunlops reward more precise driving (less slip angle to get max grip), and force you to not chuck the car in. The RS3/Rivals are the other way, they reward high slip angle with max grip. I tend to drive a lot more Dunlop-y than RS3-y, so that tire works better for me. At the risk of overengineering this, just try a bunch of tires and see which meshes well with your driving style, or, see which tire feel you like and alter your driving style for that. At your level, you want a tire that makes audible happy tire noises and unhappy tire noises, and doesn't immediately give up when it sees a corner. Anything beyond that isn't important until you've got some seat time.

I'm currently debating Z2s vs NT01s. I have a sickness.
                      Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The other problem with the RS3'S is that I can get either get them in a 195/50/15 or a 225/45/15, whereas in the D2 I can get in the 205/50/15, which seems to be the perfect option. But I do like what you said about the RS3'S and how they respond well when you really throw the car into a corner because that's how I drive the E30 for the most part
                        C6Z
                        S2K
                        VeloN

Comment

Rivals. they are amazing tires.

i've always hated the way RS3's let go at the end. rivals recover from stupid stuff much better for my experience.
                          you are also looking at the wrong size for what the tire should be. 205/50-16, is correct. 205/50/-15 is wrong.
                          196/65-14, 205/55-15 are stock sizes for the e30. 225/45-15 are an inch undersized and work only on 8" wide wheels.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                            Rivals. they are amazing tires.

i've always hated the way RS3's let go at the end. rivals recover from stupid stuff much better for my experience.
                            you are also looking at the wrong size for what the tire should be. 205/50-16, is correct. 205/50/-15 is wrong.
                            196/65-14, 205/55-15 are stock sizes for the e30. 225/45-15 are an inch undersized and work only on 8" wide wheels.
                            So for 15x7's, I need a 205/50/16 tire?
                            C6Z
                            S2K
                            VeloN

Comment

Nvm, figured it out
                              C6Z
                              S2K
                              VeloN

Comment

So for 15x7's, I need a 205/50/16 tire?
                                dear god man.
                                i was point out that you will have a F***ed rolling diameter with a 205/50-15.
                                first number is the MM of how wide the tire is.
                                the second number is the % of how wide to how tall the tire is. so 50 is 50% of ~205mm. the last number is the diameter of the rim.
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X