X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
    Ugh, super bummed for you Carson. Fucking Ferraris. :(
    Thanks Nate, it'll be okay. Still deciding on what to actually do, spend the money to piece the 135 back together or spend roughly the same, possibly less, to have a fully functional N55 powered E30. Good god, that scares me.
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

Man people in Palo Alto seem kinda douchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

Does anyone have a spare rocker arm retaining clip? Eric, I can trade you my old block for it! (I'm sure you have one or two laying around)

Sold my old head, bought a new engine that was missing one, and id like to install it before fitting the new engine back into my car.

Pic pulled off another thread for reference

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Carson, there's no way those two ideas are remotely in the same price range. Fix the 135i
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Carson, there's no way those two ideas are remotely in the same price range. Fix the 135i
            You'd be surprised, I've taken the 1er to 2 different shops and the estimate came back about the same. I have a lot of friends down in socal, 2M Autowerks is the main one, and they'd be willing to take another look at it and give me their estimate. If it ends up being close to what the 2 local shops are, I see no downside to having a fully functional N55 swapped E30. Other than it's gonna be totally horrifying and probably spin the tires through 3rd gear, but that's minor.
            C6Z
            S2K
            VeloN

Comment

No... No... No... Carson.
              Swap the N55 to the e30 then sell it to me, cheap!
              part out the rest of 135i and buy another one.

Everything will work out fine... trust me
              1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
              1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
              1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
              1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
              2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
              2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
              2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
              2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by wilholl View Post
                No... No... No... Carson.
                Swap the N55 to the e30 then sell it to me, cheap!
                part out the rest of 135i and buy another one.

Everything will work out fine... trust me
                Cheap as in the same price I paid for the 135? Lol the swap is definitely something I'm entertaining, only time will tell!
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

I ask in the least parade-rainy-way: have you done a motor swap before? Do you have experience with the N55 electronics?

I ask because an E30 and an OBD1 E36 are fairly simple, and it was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch to get an S54 to be electrically happy in E36 systems, and that's with very little mechanical fab. An S54 is electrically in the stone age compared to the N55 and DCT stuff. My swap cost roughly double what I had originally anticipated, with my friends and I doing all the labor and fab and R&D. Time-wise, it took us 6 months of literally every spare moment I wasn't working or sleeping. The only reason it went that fast and within that minimal budget overrun because I researched it exhaustively for a good 3+ years before buying parts (Nate can attest to this).

Do you know how to code out the traction control from both the DCT and DME? How will you get a cluster signal? How will you get wheel speed to both the DCT and the DME without DSC? Or, will you swap in DSC, and go through that particular nightmare? DCT requires wheelspeed and communication with the DSC and DME, and E30 wheel speed sensors aren't compatible with E46-era DSC let alone newer stuff, so.....good luck on that one.

I don't mean to necessarily dissuade you, but....this is a HUGE undertaking, and I would hate to be the one paying a shop to do the R&D on it. I don't believe the N55 DME has been nearly as figured out as the S54's, meaning coding out systems will be a much bigger PITA. I also am pretty sure the N55 doesn't bolt up to the same manual transmissions the M5x/S5x series do-- the S55 uses a totally different bolt pattern on the trans so I'd wager the N55 does as well.

An N55 E30 sounds like a cool idea, but to do it even half-assedly will take a giant pile of money and time. If you're going to do it right and have it pass smog, it will take astronomical money and time. Just look at the huge PITA people are having to get S54s through BAR, which is a way simpler swap mechanically, electrically, and emissions-y.

I was not kidding when I said another S54/E36 BAR swap owner I've met, whose swap a very well known shop performed, took two years of work and labor charge, and it cost 2x the originally agreed upon budget. Basic racecar S54/E36 swaps are $10-12k from reputable shops. There is zero way a pioneering N55/DCT/E30 swap won't be at a minimum double that.

Do you have the tools? The electronics (wiring, software, etc) skills? The fabrication skills? The time? Three times the money you think you need? Think this through, this is not a swap to blindly charge into....

If you want to explore it, by all means do. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying really really think about it and know what you're getting into. Also don't do it.
                  Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I have an idea. Buy suspension for the E30, drive it and fix the 135 at your own pace
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have an idea. Buy suspension for the E30, drive it and fix the 135 at your own pace
                      i have an e30 with a suspension that's about to get donated to a veteran's charity in a few days.
                      past:
                      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:
                      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Can't I just wake up one day and walk outside and be on nice suspension? Why does everything have to cost money.
                        C6Z
                        S2K
                        VeloN

Comment

Does anyone know of more custom parts companies than the ones listed below? Or people that make custom parts for any type of car..

AKG
                          Condor
                          UUC
                          CATuned
                          Bav Restoration
                          Garagistic

Feedback!
                          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

if you need a rich data set of manufacturers, let nopi.com be your guide, my son.

they'd be america's autobacs if they'd ever figured out how to have a web presence.

also, look for my build thread, I don't remember every vendor but the list is longer than 6.
                            past:
                            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:
                            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                              Does anyone know of more custom parts companies than the ones listed below? Or people that make custom parts for any type of car..

AKG
                              Condor
                              UUC
                              CATuned
                              Bav Restoration
                              Garagistic
                              Kadunza offers some custom E30 parts (door handles, seat bracket adapters, valve covers, etc.). Ping RobertK.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                                if you need a rich data set of manufacturers, let nopi.com be your guide, my son.

they'd be america's autobacs if they'd ever figured out how to have a web presence.

also, look for my build thread, I don't remember every vendor but the list is longer than 6.
                                wow that website looks like it is straight outa 1995. gawd that's bad
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X