This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewdown View Post
    Thats cool. That nursing program is brand new, right? I got a good break on tuition also, as the child of a vet. What is the PA program though?

Where are you looking at for your house?
    Yeah, I think they just started it last year, so their looking for good nurses who know how to teach. My mom has been a charge-lead RN for the pased 7 years now, so she's got the know how, and the experience.

Physicians Assistant; were pretty much the Doctor's lackeys and spend our days making casts, telling people to say "Ahhhhh", and playing solitaire. Super chill low stress medical job with all the perks. Obama says "Not Bad" :D

Somewhere on the outskirts of Antelope. It'll be about 15 miles out form Davis, but we have 3 other houses were currently looking at too, all of which are roughly the same distance from UCD

Originally posted by Drewdown View Post
    By the way, Sorry guys if I have invaded your NGC thread. Usama sucked me in... so blame him Anywho, I'm Drew and the white 318is in my sig is my girlfriends, which I maintain... or try to Its a pleasure to be here in your fine general chat thread
    THIS x2 :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
      Yeah, I think they just started it last year, so their looking for good nurses who know how to teach. My mom has been a charge-lead RN for the pased 7 years now, so she's got the know how, and the experience.

Physicians Assistant; were pretty much the Doctor's lackeys and spend our days making casts, telling people to say "Ahhhhh", and playing solitaire. Super chill low stress medical job with all the perks. Obama says "Not Bad" :D

Somewhere on the outskirts of Antelope. It'll be about 15 miles out form Davis, but we have 3 other houses were currently looking at too, all of which are roughly the same distance from UCD

THIS x2 :rofl:
      Nice... thats probably good to get involved in a program early on.

:up: Is it less blood and gross stuff then being say a nurse or doctor? I was a lifeguard so I got basic first aid training... but all that gross stuff always prevented me from getting any further medical training like an emt license or anything :rofl:

Hmm, not familiar. I was actually in davis. I loved it... its was such a mellow little town. I wouldnt mind moving back some day.

Comment

The nastiest stuff you deal with is broken bones. It'll take a lot of getting used to for me, but I feel like I can handle blood now.. Guts not so much lol
        EMT is actually a pre-requisite for the PA program, but it's a chill job cause you just drive around all day; your not a licensed paramedic, so you don't handle any of the needles and stuff. For me it's an excuse to drive fast like I have a purpose and blow red lights like they're nothing. Where you at now PoPo:5-0..? :-P

Comment

The nastiest stuff you deal with is broken bones. It'll take a lot of getting used to for me, but I feel like I can handle blood now.. Guts not so much lol
          EMT is actually a pre-requisite for the PA program, but it's a chill job cause you just drive around all day; your not a licensed paramedic, so you don't handle any of the needles and stuff. For me it's an excuse to drive fast like I have a purpose and blow red lights like they're nothing. Where you at now PoPo:5-0..? :-P
          :rofl: yeah.. but isnt there also all the other gross stuff that comes with hospitals like crazy and gross people, poop, puke, and whatnot?

needles would be the least of my worries. When I worked at my pool the local firefighters used to come to train us and man did we here some freaking gross stories. One guy I worked with went on to be an emt and he told this story about how when he was on his ride along they got called out to this house and when they get there the guy who called is sitting calmly on his porch. The asked him what was wrong and he tells them that he just cut off his penis. Of course they didnt believe him, but he told them it was in the fridge and tells them to go inside and look and sure enough they went in and looked and it was in there Heard this other one from the firefighters about a traffic collision call they went to where this woman in a ford focus was following too close behind a semi. Well when she rear ended the semi the truck peeled the hood of her car back and it rolled up and went through the windshield and went right through her forehead :( I dont think I could ever deal with that kind of stuff... but I guess you get used to it. My dad worked in a coroners office back in high school. He used to assist on autopsies. He said you get pretty used to it.

/cool story bro

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            Realistically, how hard is it to get into college? My dad is fully convinced that nothing I do is adequate, he things I'm super fucking smart and I should have above a 4.0, but I'm struggling right now and have like a mid 3.something. Average acceptance for UCLA from my school is a 4.4, and according to him most people go to SJ State or comparable schools (from my high school). Any thoughts?
            Vivek, I probably cannot be of any help to you because I was a recruited athlete. However, I had a 1880 sat, and 3.95 gpa, and I got into UCSD.

I have a bunch of friends here that when to schools in your area (Mitty, LGHS, Bellarmine, Presentation (lol slutsss)) and they never struck me as being particularly smart.

Come visit, talk to counselors, and all that bullshit.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

BTW, i drank 3 cups of peet's this afternoon.
              I just blazed through a 5 page paper, finished it, now im working on calculus.
              I have to wake up at 5 am tommorrow. what le farrrrrcccckkk

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

@Drewdown
                Those stories are straight gross yo lol

I did some volunteering following some PAs around. Their jobs is generally chill; you deal mostly with broken bones, stitches, writing prescriptions and small stuff like ordering the lower-downs around the hospital, and of course whatever the Doctor has for you to do. Nurses and doctors handle the really gross stuff, but generally, PAs are kinda along for the ride, chilling in the back seat

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                  Vivek, I probably cannot be of any help to you because I was a recruited athlete. However, I had a 1880 sat, and 3.95 gpa, and I got into UCSD.

I have a bunch of friends here that when to schools in your area (Mitty, LGHS, Bellarmine, Presentation (lol slutsss)) and they never struck me as being particularly smart.

Come visit, talk to counselors, and all that bullshit.
                  Those are both very good, but it seems like from the statistics (average accepted GPAs and such) those scores and maybe average extra circulars won't get you into a good UC. I feel like you basically described 90% of the people around here. They're not particularly smart and don't work particularly hard. But honestly maybe the numbers are just fucking with me, because if you'd say that average people get into like UCSD...shit I'd love to go there.

Based on what the sites say and stuff, like 90% of people would be going to community college which obviously isn't true. Hopefully if I do better junior year ill be okay. What's your recommendation on taking 3 years of a foreign language? I'm in french 2 and I have like a B. I don't think I can take french 2 honors next year, but that'd be awesome because it's an honors course and i already sort of learned most of it. Do all UC's require 3 years?

And yes, every girl at pres is a horny little slut.
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

@Drewdown
                    Those stories are straight gross yo lol

I did some volunteering following some PAs around. Their jobs is generally chill; you deal mostly with broken bones, stitches, writing prescriptions and small stuff like ordering the lower-downs around the hospital, and of course whatever the Doctor has for you to do. Nurses and doctors handle the really gross stuff, but generally, PAs are kinda along for the ride, chilling in the back seat

Sounds like a decent gig. I guess most gross stuff would be more major care that would be done by doctors and nurses anyways. :up:

Comment

I got ahold of the guy, Alex B. Car is sold.

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
                      count me in to cum to the circle jerk too guys.

also

..potential steal if 5 spd??

Comment

Those are both very good, but it seems like from the statistics (average accepted GPAs and such) those scores and maybe average extra circulars won't get you into a good UC. I feel like you basically described 90% of the people around here. They're not particularly smart and don't work particularly hard. But honestly maybe the numbers are just fucking with me, because if you'd say that average people get into like UCSD...shit I'd love to go there.
                        Universities are required by the state of California to admit from all GPA ranges; however, the higher you are on the GPA scale, the better. Less people are at the higher "tier" so it means less competition, and more people admitted. Don't count yourself out just cause you had a mid 3.x, if you've got some extra-curriculars and took good classes, that'll speak for a lot on your application.

Your only a soph and your tripping about college? Much more focused than I was when I was in your shoes. Barely started wishing up mid-junior year, but I had good grades as it was, so it only contributed to my GPA. I ended up having a 1850 with a 3.5 cause I was lazy lol
                        You've got a bright future; I wouldn't be worried about you ;)

I took 3 years of Language; I'd do it again too. Looks good on college aps and it gets you out of having to take a foreign language class in College

Comment

BTW, i drank 3 cups of peet's this afternoon.
                          I just blazed through a 5 page paper, finished it, now im working on calculus.
                          I have to wake up at 5 am tommorrow. what le farrrrrcccckkk
                          Calculus is harrddd. Im a junior in high school. I usually have straight A's but this year I am falling behind /:

I need help in calculus for sure.

Comment

Based on what the sites say and stuff, like 90% of people would be going to community college which obviously isn't true. Hopefully if I do better junior year ill be okay. What's your recommendation on taking 3 years of a foreign language? I'm in french 2 and I have like a B. I don't think I can take french 2 honors next year, but that'd be awesome because it's an honors course and i already sort of learned most of it. Do all UC's require 3 years?

And yes, every girl at pres is a horny little slut.
                            haha amen to that last statement, but this weekend i found out that valley christian beezies are some freaks too :mrgreen:

What i forgot to mention was that most of the people from school in your area are non-athletes.

Regarding Language: Last septemeber, i took a placement test and was placed into Spanish 1C (3rd quarter) and would have only needed to take 2 quarters of Spanish to fufill the requirement.

I chose alternatively: I decided to take Persian heritage (there are a variety of heriatge language series here at ucsd) that you can take if you are of a certain hertiage (my parents were born in Iran), and only ONE quarter fufills the whole god damn thang.
                            I'm gonna take 3 quarters of it though, so i can simultaneously fufill my regional specilization for roosevelt college in Middle Eastern studies..

(its a seperate requirement from your major)

I'm an Econ major here, and if you are gonna be an econ major, i recommend taking ECON IN HIGH SCHOOL.
                            My first quarter i took micro with a shitty ass fobby ass professor, and she couldnt speak fucking english.

Right now my caluclus teacher does not speak engrish. But you learn to deal with that type of shit.
                            I also wish I had taken CALCULUS in high school instead of a USELESS ASS AP STATS

and this long post was brought to you by Peet' coffee

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                              Calculus is harrddd. Im a junior in high school. I usually have straight A's but this year I am falling behind /:

I need help in calculus for sure.
                              That one kinda caught me off guard. I kinda imagined you as like a 45 year old based on your lack of a sig/avatar and generally mature posts (mine are fairly mature too, but I can be myself a bit more on this forum compared to others).
                              haha amen to that last statement, but this weekend i found out that valley christian beezies are some freaks too :mrgreen:

What i forgot to mention was that most of the people from school in your area are non-athletes.

Regarding Language: Last septemeber, i took a placement test and was placed into Spanish 1C (3rd quarter) and would have only needed to take 2 quarters of Spanish to fufill the requirement.

I chose alternatively: I decided to take Persian heritage (there are a variety of heriatge language series here at ucsd) that you can take if you are of a certain hertiage (my parents were born in Iran), and only ONE quarter fufills the whole god damn thang.
                              I'm gonna take 3 quarters of it though, so i can simultaneously fufill my regional specilization for roosevelt college in Middle Eastern studies..

(its a seperate requirement from your major)

I'm an Econ major here, and if you are gonna be an econ major, i recommend taking ECON IN HIGH SCHOOL.
                              My first quarter i took micro with a shitty ass fobby ass professor, and she couldnt speak fucking english.

Right now my caluclus teacher does not speak engrish. But you learn to deal with that type of shit.
                              I also wish I had taken CALCULUS in high school instead of a USELESS ASS AP STATS

and this long post was brought to you by Peet' coffee
                              Did you take one or two years of spanish in HS? My mom wants me to drop it next year because it'll likely help my gpa if I don't take it, and I'd rather not take it because then i'd have only 6 classes (out of 8 periods) as opposed to 7 like I've had all 4 semesters so far. But i'd rather take it than not if it'll help me with college.
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Did you take one or two years of spanish in HS? My mom wants me to drop it next year because it'll likely help my gpa if I don't take it, and I'd rather not take it because then i'd have only 6 classes (out of 8 periods) as opposed to 7 like I've had all 4 semesters so far. But i'd rather take it than not if it'll help me with college.
                                I took spanish 3 as a freshman and 4 as a sophmore since i came from a private k-8 in the oakland hills. i was le awkward freshman in a sea of upperclassmen :giggle:

ya man go for it. but dont stop until youve taken ap, so you can get the whole shit done with and not have to do it in college at all

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X