This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
    1.2k posts and your only NOW ever been to a yard..?
    I keed, I keed haha

Haven't started pulling and selling myself, but I just follow this rule

1. Pay $2
    2. Swoope all the parts you can
    3. ???????
    4. Profit
    I know...I went once with my dad/little brother and sister, and had to wait with them outside. The second time I was with my GF who looks kinda young and they weren't buying that we were 16. This time she didn't even ask. What do you mean by swoope the parts? Steal them? Teach me your ways :)
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Small parts like switches and stuff... Your gonna get charged like $3-$5 for them EACH. That outrageous. I mostly just swoope small parts that I rule a crime to get overcharged for anyway (switches, fuses, relays, wiring harnesses). The yards generally don't care because they make a killing charging top premium for bit-ticket items (body panels, engines, trannys, window/antenna motors, etc.), so I use it as justification for whenever I hit the yard up for a couples screws or two. Your technically paying $2 just to get in right..?

Other things like OBCs, radios, wheels/tires, and stuff that's generally cheap and fetches good return you can get for pretty reasonable prices for what you can sell them for on the boards, so I legitimize those by paying for them

EDIT: Mind you, I used "swoope" interchangeably for alot of my adjectives; sometimes it means steal, but most of the time it means get for an insane deal or find exactly what you need at a yard and pull it. Just gotta look at the context lol ;)
      I'll try to be more specific next time though
      Last edited by JinormusJ; 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I took a door handle and lug bolts. As well as a Pacer emblem off a Pacer because I love the movie Cars and I thought I would never see one again. It was a souvenier.

Comment

E36 switches are probably my personal favorite thing to get though. Probably just cause I like the look for them so much in my e30. Really easy to take out, and theres always a market for them, and really easy/cheap to ship

And if you already haven't, invest in a pair of cargo pants. Theyre social and fashion suicide, but are an extreme asset to any yard-goer if ya no wut I meen ;)

Comment

I'll stick anything that fits into my pocket from now on. I had a few things in the toolbox that i 'forgot' about but the guard searched it all. He did miss a fog switch and 325 emblem that I got for my brother though. I think the best part about getting a full e32/34 toolkit is that you could pass off all the tools as being yours and only buy the bucket part.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I would make a secret compartment in my toolbox If I was going that direction.

Make some kind of removeable tray in the bottom with about 2-3 inches of clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                I would make a secret compartment in my toolbox If I was going that direction.

Make some kind of removeable tray in the bottom with about 2-3 inches of clearance.
                i have a rubber mesh sorta thing that works fine for my pigtails when covered by my tools. Generally, I only hide small, easily stowed items in the box since it gets checked. Anything else, is pockets.

@Vivek
                That's why whenever you open the tool box and any yard'd e30, all the tools are swooped ;)
                I was lucky enough to find a cheater bar and metal rod in a tool box a week ago, and I've been yarding for the passed 4 months. And yeah, it's pretty much free; you'd look awfully silly going up to the cashier to by tools from the yard and not parts lol

Tools generally go for $2-5, so it's pure profit, but there's much less a market for them as people usually wait just to find a set they can swoope themselves

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                  And if you already haven't, invest in a pair of cargo pants. Theyre social and fashion suicide, but are an extreme asset to any yard-goer if ya no wut I meen ;)
                  Baahahah! Dude, you're creeping me out now ... I'm a frequent yarder, and cargo pants/baggy jeans are DEF your friend when you're trying to save yourself some money ;)

Don't forget a very messy and ful toolbox where you can hide parts in..

Err I mean.. Walking off with parts from the junkyard?? Who would do such a thing?!

Comment

I want m30b35 swap e30.

Comment

I need to go there more often. When I get a license I can afford to stop by for like 20 min on a weekday but now maybe i'll go next weekend with my dad again. It really is kinda fun to rip shit apart without stressing over things. I could spend 5 seconds pulling an OBC at a yard that would take me forever on my car. But I'm respectful and don't screw up good dashes and stuff.

Oh, and I saw like 3-4 m30b35's there along with a couple m50's, one being in an e34. What should you look for on an engine?

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Yeah.. Ish like that is lame.. I was in the market for a good throttle body boot and every single one I saw that would have been good was cut to take the ICV out.. All you need to do is undo the clip and it comes right out without needing to go berserk with the cutters. Some yard-goers just don't make sense to me

Comment

I used to love going to pnp to check stuff out. Its also about 2 mins from my house too. Sucks that they have been raping me for parts lately. Everything seems so expensive,well at least comparing to what they were before. Also, depending on who is working the cashier, you can either be charged differently when they try to guess what part you actually have.

Comment

Go on the site and research what to "call" your part when thou tell them what it is
                            That way you know exactly what you should be getting charged and for "what"

...ifyanowutimeen ;)

Comment

Sneaky dog you.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                                Hey guys, going to start looking for a roller four door if anyone has one for sale.

BTW, went on a drive to winters -> Monticello damn -> Rockville today with my girl.
                                Was a great drive. I love the windy road with trees overhanging them and shade on the road.
                                you should drive the stretch of monticello between fairfield and napa,
                                AMAZING.

Comment

Working...
                                X