Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Bay Area - New whip, couple issues

Hello R3v-users,

I've got a new '87 325e that has a couple issues. New to e30s, looking for help in the area.
    Looking for somebody to help out maybe.

Anybody in the east bay we can Skype or something. The car is pretty fresh. Coolant temperature guage does not work, and I believe the car does not pass smog.

I will be doing:
    -- Engine oil / filter
    -- Air filter
    -- Spark plugs/ wires

Car runs each time, but the vehicle sat for quite sometime before a family member gave it to me so the running smooths out after the engine has been on for a minute.

Thanks for reading.

Skip the air filter and engine oil/filter, none of that will get you to pass smog. Getting an old car to pass smog almost always requires a new o2 sensor and catalytic converter.

Your non operating temp gauge is probably due to bad SI board batteries. Read the links in my sig for more info on the SI board and why it affects the temp gauge.

Welcome to R3v.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I passed CA smog with flying colors after I replaced my o2 sensor. I heard it also helps to drive the car like you stole it for about 30 min and then leaving the car on when you're at the smog station.

Comment

It is not just about getting the vehicle to pass smog. It has been sitting for a long time....I need to replace the engine belts as well. I would guess the whole thing needs a refresh. It has not ran in so long.

Comment

Oil/filter, Air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, belts, timing belt/water pump? Seems like u have plenty of projects to keep you busy. Let me know if you need a parts hookup, Oreily auto parts is no bueno.
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

^^^ I will definately be a busy-body! I just want to give the engine a good refresh because it has been sitting for so long - but the car was a gift, and I mean really I dont drive it so it can sit for a month at a time!

I will need a parts hookup! What you got??

I did previously drive the car, only 3 miles, to get it back to my house. The engine didnt hesitate, it was just "cold blooded" as a friend explained to me.

I am not new to cars - My previous vehicle was a B5 S4. I am just new to these cars, I read they are really great, so I am still in my learning curve with them.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLordFreeman View Post
              ^^^ I will definately be a busy-body! I just want to give the engine a good refresh because it has been sitting for so long - but the car was a gift, and I mean really I dont drive it so it can sit for a month at a time!

I will need a parts hookup! What you got??

I did previously drive the car, only 3 miles, to get it back to my house. The engine didnt hesitate, it was just "cold blooded" as a friend explained to me.

I am not new to cars - My previous vehicle was a B5 S4. I am just new to these cars, I read they are really great, so I am still in my learning curve with them.
              I've revived a car that sat for 30 years untouched. You don't necessarily have to go through and replace everything. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, and an oil change are a good place to start, a cooling system flush isn't a bad idea either. I would recommend also bleeding the brakes out with fresh brake fluid.
              I'd also say run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through.

An engine that has been sitting a long time will be grumpy, but assuming everything is solid internally, I'd do the basics and drive it. You might find other issues, you might not. It will clear itself out and run better the more you drive it. You may find that any oil leaks that are present on the car may go away due to the seals being dry and swelling with some use. Why fix something if its not broken?

Just my $0.02,
              Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                I've revived a car that sat for 30 years untouched. You don't necessarily have to go through and replace everything. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, and an oil change are a good place to start, a cooling system flush isn't a bad idea either. I would recommend also bleeding the brakes out with fresh brake fluid.
                I'd also say run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through.

An engine that has been sitting a long time will be grumpy, but assuming everything is solid internally, I'd do the basics and drive it. You might find other issues, you might not. It will clear itself out and run better the more you drive it. You may find that any oil leaks that are present on the car may go away due to the seals being dry and swelling with some use. Why fix something if its not broken?

Just my $0.02,
                Will

I will be replacing all the fluids.
                One of the drive belts has some damage to it - I guess we can call it frayed. The drive belts do not have any visible cracks even small hairline ones, but one of the belts does have a little bit of damage to it. Do you think this would be a good time to replace the timing belt with the T.B. Kit or just the drive belts? I imagine something like the belts would be like a dried out rubber band if you get the idea. So would the timing belt...

I do not want to unnecessarily fix what is not broken - but should I redo the timing belt soon? I do not know when the previous owner has done one.... (Timing belt, drive belts, water pump, thermostat, coolant, etc).

SO to summary things on the list:
                -- Engine oil/filter
                -- Air filter
                -- Spark plugs + wires
                -- Fuel Filter
                -- Coolant
                -- Timing belt kit

For things to do to the engine area. I've been reading from a few sources that changing all fluids is something pretty important when starting/running/driving a car that has been sitting for so long.

When I did drive the car back to my pad, there was not any squeaks, rattles, or grinding noises, or any noise really from the engine/trans.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLordFreeman View Post
                  I will be replacing all the fluids.
                  One of the drive belts has some damage to it - I guess we can call it frayed. The drive belts do not have any visible cracks even small hairline ones, but one of the belts does have a little bit of damage to it. Do you think this would be a good time to replace the timing belt with the T.B. Kit or just the drive belts? I imagine something like the belts would be like a dried out rubber band if you get the idea. So would the timing belt...

I do not want to unnecessarily fix what is not broken - but should I redo the timing belt soon? I do not know when the previous owner has done one.... (Timing belt, drive belts, water pump, thermostat, coolant, etc).

SO to summary things on the list:
                  -- Engine oil/filter
                  -- Air filter
                  -- Spark plugs + wires
                  -- Fuel Filter
                  -- Coolant
                  -- Timing belt kit

For things to do to the engine area. I've been reading from a few sources that changing all fluids is something pretty important when starting/running/driving a car that has been sitting for so long.

When I did drive the car back to my pad, there was not any squeaks, rattles, or grinding noises, or any noise really from the engine/trans.
                  I don't know a thing about changing timing belts, I've never owned a car with one (chains only) When was it last done? As for the other accessory belts, they are cheap and easy enough to do, why not. If the timing belt is due, then yes, fix it and replace anything else that gets replaced at the normal service interval.

It sounds like the car is pretty solid. How long did it actually sit? Don't get me wrong, sitting does nothing good for cars, but it sounds like this one as faired pretty well.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                    I don't know a thing about changing timing belts, I've never owned a car with one (chains only) When was it last done? As for the other accessory belts, they are cheap and easy enough to do, why not. If the timing belt is due, then yes, fix it and replace anything else that gets replaced at the normal service interval.

It sounds like the car is pretty solid. How long did it actually sit? Don't get me wrong, sitting does nothing good for cars, but it sounds like this one as faired pretty well.

Will

The car was purchased three years ago. We drove it back from SF, it sat for one year (my family member took the car out once to smog it (failed) and then again around the block) and it sat for one year.

After a year he moved towns, drove it to the new house, it sat for one year.

After the second year he drove it to the second new pad, for where it sat for another one more year. So 4 short drives in 3 years.

I do not know when the timing belt was last done - everything I have visually inspected on the car looks totally solid. Seems to be very well sorted through. I remember the original owner drove the car every week.

I do feel a timing belt would be in order - due to my rubber band comparison. And the drive belt being damaged partially. I just think the car will need a tune-up. All the things I mentioned and she should be road worthy.....

Comment

Yeah, better safe than sorry with the timing belt. I have a wholesale parts account, so let me know and I can get you maintenance parts for a good price.
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Timing belt replaced = peace of mind

May as well replace the drive belts, they will be off anyways and are inexpensive. The water pump is easy to do as part of the job and will take care of flushing the coolant too.

Where in the East Bay are you? I might be able to help depending on when you have in mind to complete all this.

Comment

^ Danville bruh. Im tryin to get this car back on tha road. How much experience do you have with e30 BMWs? This is my first e30.

Comment

I love D'ville! I'm in Livermore, not too far.

My love for BMWs is a story probably best told over a beer and burger at say Tower Grille or McGah's. I am a dedicated weekend wrencher, but I also worked for an independent BMW shop as a tech for 7 years while getting through high school and college.

Let me know if I can help. Welcome to the world of the E30!

Comment

PMed.

My sister lived in Livermore - and I like to go out to the new paragon outlets. Let's set something up.

Comment

Working...
                              X