Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nick_S wants to move to SoCal....tell me things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick_S wants to move to SoCal....tell me things.

The more time I spend in the Midwest, the more I loathe the idea of spending another winter cooped up inside for 4 months because of snow and cold weather. I visited the LA area about 1.5 years ago and fell in love with the weather and sheer amount of stuff to do, even if it was just to go to the beach and relax. My GF will likely come with me, possibly another friend. I have the opportunity to fly out and prospect before I make the move and would likely do so. Tell me the good, the bad...anything I should know before I take the plunge and pack my crap into my wagon and drive out. Time frame would be August sometime. Have been looking in the Long Beach area but am open to suggestions. Will likely have enough money to last me a few while I look for work.

Also, how hard is it to get my M50 swapped E30 carb'ed if I end up staying? Will likely bring both cars.

Cheers,
    Nick
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

awesome weather and car scene

Comment

The only thing that sucks here is the DMV and Smog Check. You have the Beach,Valley,Mountains and the Desert all within 2 hours driving.You cant beat the weather !!!
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
        The only thing that sucks here is the DMV and Smog Check. You have the Beach,Valley,Mountains and the Desert all within 2 hours driving.You cant beat the weather !!!
        How difficult is it to get registered, smogged, all that fun stuff? My E34 should pass no questions asked. My E30 is swapped and all stock aside from the exhaust which is some sort of high flow cat and a dynamax muffler. Also anyone know how long I have till I'd need to register it in California? It's currently registered in Ohio till my birthday in December, I assume then?
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

leave your reg in OH. you'll be fine.

traffic is horrible in CA. but other than that smogs, DMV, there isn't a single draw back compared to Ohio.

also you can get real azn food here. not the BS cooked by white people that the call Asian food.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Look into moving into a smog exempt county.

JK, but that is one way to get around the smog checks every 2 years.

Comment

Don't move to a smog exempt county, you'll be in the sticks. Keep your car registered in OH so you don't have to smog it here. What counties are you looking at currently in so cal?

Also, traffic can be worse. People bitch and moan about it, just like when it rains here. Boo fucking who. If you know you're route to work and can supplement a freeway with a shortcut when there's traffic you'll do just fine.
              Originally posted by IRON-E
              Yeah, you're definitely a vw

Comment

Originally posted by blue plates View Post
                Don't move to a smog exempt county, you'll be in the sticks. Keep your car registered in OH so you don't have to smog it here. What counties are you looking at currently in so cal?

Also, traffic can be worse. People bitch and moan about it, just like when it rains here. Boo fucking who. If you know you're route to work and can supplement a freeway with a shortcut when there's traffic you'll do just fine.
                I've been looking at LA county and Orange County. I ideally want to be fairly close to the coast. Have been looking mostly at Long Beach but have been told by a few friends out there to look into Manhattan beach area aswell. I'm really up for any suggestion for a decent, not horribly expensive area to live. I liked Costa Mesa but it seems possibly out of my price range. I've got a pretty good sense of direction so I learn my way around quickly. A quick browse through Long Beach craigslist turned up multiple apartments that seem doable. Finding a space with a garage looks difficult and pricey although I'm used to having to shield my car from the harsh Ohio shit weather.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Long Beach is awesome (I'm a homer). Huntington and Newport Beaches are nice, Garden Grove, Anaheim (if you can deal with all the Disney), Orange, Cerritos, Fountain Valley, there's a ton of places you could find that are close enough to the beach. Although last I checked it was pretty hard to find a place with a garage...

Comment

the cost of living in California is ridiculous. i could afford a mansion in most places for what im paying in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment

Comment

I vote for San Clemente, Dana Point, Costa Mesa/Newport, or Huntington.
                      sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                      1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                      1991 318is - Sold
                      1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                        the cost of living in California is ridiculous. i could afford a mansion in most places for what im paying in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment

This is why I haven't moved home. :( I get home to visit as often as I can.

Comment

Do it!

Trust me, I'm a native SoCal that lived in Cincinnati for about 5 years and still go to Columbus for work at least twice a year. OH vs. SoCal is a total no brainer. Yes the cost of living is higher, but that's because it dosn't suck here.

If you do decide to make the move, leave all your OSU Buckeye shit there. Nobody gives a damn about that here.

Comment

Originally posted by cavpilot View Post
                            Trust me, I'm a native SoCal that lived in Cincinnati for about 5 years and still go to Columbus for work at least twice a year. OH vs. SoCal is a total no brainer. Yes the cost of living is higher, but that's because it dosn't suck here.

If you do decide to make the move, leave all your OSU Buckeye shit there. Nobody gives a damn about that here.
                            Good to hear. Also, I don't like sports ball of any kind. I'm more interested in better weather, endless shit to do, ride lots of bikes, hope to find a career in the action sports industry again and not have to deal with winter ever again. I'm also paying around $850 ( well it's split w/ my roommate) currently. I've found some decent places in Long Beach for around that up to $1000.
                            91 318is M50 swapped
                            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

the long beach area kinda sucks. smells like ass. and you need to check out the hood to make sure you arent moving into a bad hood.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                              X