Need help fixing my Electric top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help fixing my Electric top

Have done the research but it still doesn't work. Was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the system.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Have done the research but it still doesn't work. Was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the system.
    Little Cesar from the ol' 318is Mafia.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

provide a little more information than "I did the research"

Firstly, have you made sure all the connecting rods, cables, brackets are intact and in working order?

Where are you at now? what isn't working? is the motor engaged in the trunk? have you calibrated the micro switch adjustment screw?

1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Originally posted by viceversa View Post
        provide a little more information than "I did the research"

Firstly, have you made sure all the connecting rods, cables, brackets are intact and in working order?

Where are you at now? what isn't working? is the motor engaged in the trunk? have you calibrated the micro switch adjustment screw?

http://www.e30ic.com/powertop.htm
        Yes, yes, yes. Motors are working but disengaged. Everything is there except the cable that attaches the lid to the trunk. I can't get the top motor engaged at all for some reason. The teeth seem fine but it just won't mesh but I am more concerned about getting the top cover working. The top cover motor engages but grinds as if the teeth are worn. Before I spend money, I want a local with experience to go over everything incase I am missing something.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

hmm pretty sure both the lid mechanism and the lid motor must both be engaged for it work. Its tricky to get them both hooked up but possible. If it sounds like something is grinding then don't do it! take the motor out and inspect it. Im not an expert but I was able to get my working without issues... but I am down in San Diego.
          1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

I will play around with it some more today but it's difficult to do by myself. I need a helper to activate the power top switch in the dash.

Comment

Okay, so I got the top motor in and it functions fine but the top lid only opens slightly before the gears start grinding. I believe this is the root of the problem. Everything else seems in order. Searching for replacement gear.

Comment

the tonneau cover transmission is blown. very common. just replace it.
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

the smaller one in this photo
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

It's just the motor gear that's worn. I hope I can find a replacement...somewhere or I will have to get creative.

Comment

saw this just popped up:

1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Working...
                    X