AC Conversion in the SF Bay Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Conversion in the SF Bay Area

Looking for a reasonably priced place to get my AC converted and charged. I'm located in San Jose. Any recommendations? Anyone who's done the conversion before want to do it? Contact me plz.

Thanks guys.

you need to do zero to the car.
    fix the leak, buy PAG oil 200, and 2 cans of subzero r134a and the r134a to r12 adapter. $50 and you'll have cold AC.

i got a full r134a system from a wrecked 1993 325ic (they came r134a from factory) it was cheap and easy.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Was is only the '93's that came with r134a?
      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
        Was is only the '93's that came with r134a?
        yes.
        see the AC hoses on my car. they have weird long filling tubes that stick out. that's how you know it's a r134a car.
        IMG_6004 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

Nice. I'll have to keep an eye out. I've heard that there are a lot of differences in the system such as operating pressure, required heat exchanger size, etc. Not sure what truly matters other than having the right oil.

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
            yes.
            see the AC hoses on my car. they have weird long filling tubes that stick out. that's how you know it's a r134a car.
            IMG_6004 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
            Why would you need AC? you don't have a windshield!!!:D:D:D Peace!!!

Comment

Lol

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Hey Eric, you sure? It's a 91. Might just take it to Willow Glen auto electric. They do AC also and my friend recommended it. I'll go get a quote tomo for the job and get you the details tuesday.

Comment

You need to swap out the expansion valve, and all the o-rings in the system. The drier and pressure switch are different too.

r12 to r134a isnt that simple. Your o-rings will break down with 134a and you'll be leaking refrigerant, possibly into your car.

Comment

Tryhttp://www.es-refrigerants.com/

They sell a R12 equivalent that works really well. I've been using it in my car for over 5 years and blow super cold. My AC system is all original R12 still.
                    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                    www.BavRest.com
                    My Feedback Thread
                    Our Facebook!
                    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Found a euro shop with r12 stash. Theyre gonna clean her out and recharge. E30 is there atm so I get back to you guys with the final price.

Edit: $284

Pricey but ice cold and worth it since I'll be commuting in it until I purchase another bike.
                      Last edited by CabbE30; 03-27-2015, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X