Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New keys cut

Hey all,

New to the site, don't mind the newbie stuff. I'm wondering if anybody could share their experiences in getting a new key cut for their e30? I have the illuminate fob/key which has cracked, key still works but I want to fix the fob and get a spare key made, dealership in Canada quoted me $180, ish, said it could be more... Mentioned they had to order the blank from Germany, which I could understand but they can't cut the key on site, they had to send the key out. Thought's? Stupid question?

The regular cut key costs about US $140 from a dealership.
    Yes, a dealership will order the key from BMW. You must provide the title or registration.

You can order a blank key and try to find a locksmith. People say the E30 keys are made of steel compared to modern keys made of brass.

Comment

Thanks Vincenze, I’ll give the dealership a call and go through the process.

Comment

Here is a thread with information about E30 keys.

If your key is worn out, BMW will provide you a new key according to your VIN. But make sure that your locks have never been changed.

I got a new regular key. It works perfectly and matches my other keys.
        I don't have a key with the light.

Comment

I would probably ignore the dealer, but they aren't being completely unreasonable, providing you get an actual cost before going ahead.

Alternately, find a new illuminated key blank PN 51211900894 $80-100USD and get it cut at a local locksmith. At the same time you can get a couple of spares done, which retail for under $20 USD and still come out below dealer cost.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            I would probably ignore the dealer, but they aren't being completely unreasonable, providing you get an actual cost before going ahead.

Alternately, find a new illuminated key blank PN 51211900894 $80-100USD and get it cut at a local locksmith. At the same time you can get a couple of spares done, which retail for under $20 USD and still come out below dealer cost.
            Would this require me pulling the locks and him trying to figure it out?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post

Would this require me pulling the locks and him trying to figure it out?
              A locksmith will use a copying machine to create a duplicate of your key. Reading the topic above, not every locksmith has a copying machine for steel keys.
              If a copy doesn't work, he can't do much.

BMW will make a new key that matches your VIN.

Comment

Working...
              X