Oxford Ohio German Car Rally this Summer - feeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxford Ohio German Car Rally this Summer - feeler

Hey folks. I'm actually located in Richmond VA but was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a German car rally/event/boon-doggle in Oxford OH this summer. Background:

I am an alumnus of Miami of Ohio and for the last few years they've held a car show there every summer, Porsche to Oxford, for Porsche cars. It was a great car show and Oxford is a blast to visit in the summer; plenty of bars to go to and no lines to wait in. This year they moved the show to Granville Ohio, which is not nearly as cool of a town, so I don't want to go. My buddy (who is also on R3V) took his Boxster up there last year, so that was our in. However, with them moving the show and me having an E30 I thought, why not organize a German car event. Here is how I envision events transpiring:

Friday PM: Non-required pre-meet. My friend and I will be coming in to town Friday night because it’s a 9 hour drive from Richmond VA. However, anyone who wants to meet for dinner and drinks in Oxford is more than welcome. There a few hotels right in town; if enough people are interested I'll try to see about negotiating group rates.

Saturday AM: Late morning meet-up for brunch at a local spot. Everyone can get some food in their bellies and poke around the other peoples' cars in the parking lot.

Saturday Noon-ish: Depart the brunch spot and drive through the country (approximate 60-90 minute drive) in route to a local vineyard/winery/TBD ?? This is the afternoon entertainment. Visit said destination for an hour or so and then drive back (more country roads) to Oxford.

Saturday 4:30ish: Meet back in town and relax after a fun afternoon with your new friends.

Saturday Dinner: German beer and food tasting at a German Restaurant right in town. I think this place has like 12 or so German pulls on tap and the food is pretty good.

Saturday PM: Enjoy all of the fun of a great college town without dealing with thousands of train wreck college kids. There is still a pretty sizeable group of students that stays in town during the summer, so the place isn't a ghost town, but you won't have to wait in any lines either. Uptown Oxford is a blast and it is a very easy walk to/from the hotels. There is always a possibility of cigars in the Hotel parking lot after hours...

Sunday late AM: Optional meet-up for breakfast, good byes, and send offs with hopefully some new friends you were able to meet.

This event could be a lot of fun, even if just a few people want to get in. The only restrictions would be you'd need to have a German car and be 21 if you want to drink. Other than that, bring your friends/girlfriends/wife/dog/call girl etc.

The Porsche event was a lot of fun, but the event organizers never in my opinion took full advantage of the venue. With the show exiting Oxford, I kind of see this as an opportunity to make the event what me and hopefully some other people always wished it could have been. Thanks so much R3V and just reply to the forum if you think this might be something you want to do. It'll definitely take a few months to organize in order to be a success; hence why I'm doing this now.

Cheers,

Rob
    www.truegearhead.com
    - bad decisions & questionable cars

Sign my wife and me up for this. She is Miami alum so I bet she'd love to visit.
    sigpic

2003 BMW 540i/6 M Sport
    1997 M3 (sold)
    1989 320i Touring (sold)
    1990 325i (sold)
    1991 535i/5 (sold)
    1986 325es (sold)

http://etasport.tripod.com
    http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/bm...library/Public

Comment

Great to hear! At some point PM your email address so I can start forming a distribution list. I've heard from some other Porsche folks that they're interested too.

If you're in Chicago, you're probably over-run with Miami grads. They seem to congregate there.
      www.truegearhead.com

Comment

sounds like fun, im down. when is it??

98 540 MSport
        89 325 ix

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post

If you're in Chicago, you're probably over-run with Miami grads. They seem to congregate there.
          Thanks for sure. PM sent...
          sigpic

2003 BMW 540i/6 M Sport
          1997 M3 (sold)
          1989 320i Touring (sold)
          1990 325i (sold)
          1991 535i/5 (sold)
          1986 325es (sold)

http://etasport.tripod.com
          http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/bm...library/Public

Comment

Oxfords 20 mins from my house so I'm down forsure.

Comment

Great to hear all of the interest guys. I'll be setting dates for this very soon (next few weeks) so I'll keep you all updated. Right now we're thinking late June/early July.

I'm also planning on building a dedicated website for the event (also to come in a few weeks). Finally my buddy and I were trying to come up with a name for the event. Right now the best one is:

OxCar-berfest. Thoughts? Thanks again and there will be many more details to come.

-Rob
              www.truegearhead.com

Comment

I'm definitely in!

Comment

Edit: Due to hotel availability we're also looking at August as well. Should have a date set soon. Thanks R3V!!
                  www.truegearhead.com

Comment

Update:

Crappy google powered blog site is up. We're semi-legitimate now folks! I hope to have dates set tomorrow. Thanks.

www.truegearhead.com

Comment

Update:

I called the Best Western in town and was able to get a group rate of $115 per night for the rooms. We'll need a minimum of 5 rooms to qualify as a group. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to all the bars and restaurants in Uptown Oxford. I'll update the website with more detailed information today. Also I'll post up the finalized dates here in a few hours. Thanks.
                      www.truegearhead.com

Comment

The dates have been announced. Ox-Carberfest will officially occur the weekend of 8/10-8/12. Visit the website for more details including lodging and a tentative schedule. Thanks to all who have shown interest. Have a good weekend.

www.truegearhead.com

Comment

What are your ideas for the day trip on Saturday? I'am interested in coming around for this and may have a few places that are a good drive.

Comment

I'm in
                            just doin track stuff :-P

"When was the last time you drove an e30 without a smile on your face?"

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
                              The dates have been announced. Ox-Carberfest will officially occur the weekend of 8/10-8/12. Visit the website for more details including lodging and a tentative schedule. Thanks to all who have shown interest. Have a good weekend.

http://oxcarberfest.blogspot.com/
                              I am in Dayton. I like to come down and meet. E30 mandatory or can bring other BMW? My E30 should be ready by then but can't be so sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X