For Gods Sake Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
    I am localish, live in Bloomfield Hills, work in Northville and I am in grad school at Oakland. Daily Driver is a Sprint Blue B7 S4, wife DD's a 2004.5 S40 T5. I just bought my 89 325i vert with a bad timing belt, 3 bent valves and a broken rocker. This was bought to replace our 69 triumph I sold a few months ago. Pulled the head yesterday and I am working on locating a nice rebuilt or pulled unit on the cheap, local would be great to avoid shipping a heavy chunk of metal. I ordered up the full head gasket set and timing setup last night. Would be great to get this thing together before the snow flies just so I know it is ready to go come spring.
    There is not too much for Michigan e30s. I would suggest rebuilding or going to Parts Galore in Warren (they usually have a few e30s) and just pull a head. The problem with that is it can be real hit and miss unless there are a bunch of random parts your looking for. Right now there is a perfect condition 5 series w/ an M20 motor, not sure if it is the right head though. Your other good option is a guy called Charbal (not sure if I spelled that right) that has tons of old BMW parts. Only problem is I don't have his number. Someone else on here may be able to help w/ that or I might be able to find and post it in a few days.

PS: I added you to the MI e30 map
    '87 5-speed 325is
    The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
    Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
    Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

Thanks.

I'll probably just end up buying up a rebuilt head form a guy in Georgia that I have been talking to. Cleaned magnafluxed, machined and re-assembled with seals/guides/seats as needed. Considering the offers for pulled head I have been getting are about $350 to my door this guys is atleast cleaned up checked and machined for about $100 more, then I can either sell of my original head as is or have it looked over and sell it off rebuilt after replacing a few parts.
      Last edited by Jorgen; 09-01-2011, 06:32 AM.
      2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
        Thanks.

I'll probably just end up buying up a rebuilt head form a guy in Georgia that I have been talking to. Cleaned magnafluxed, machined and re-assembled with seals/guides/seats as needed. Considering the offers for pulled head I have been getting are about $350 to my door this guys is atleast cleaned up checked and machined for abotu $100 more, then I can either sell of my original head as is or have it looked over and sell it off rebuilt after replacing a few parts.
        That works too. Personally I just always go the cheap but more work route cause I'm a college student lacking the funds to go the easy route.

I still haven't found a phone number for Charbel, but his facebook is http://www.facebook.com/people/Charbel-Haddad/505618590
        He is local but anything he has probably hasn't been cleaned up quite as nice as from the guy in Georgia
        '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Thanks for the details. I haven't fully decided what to do yet. I am going to tear down the head this weekend and see what the status is then. At this point I am leaning to rebuilding the head and having it machined.

I can udnerstand the cheap route sometimes. With work, a 2 year old, house work and grad school free time is somethign that is fairly limited for me these days. The car work I enjoy so I will likely find the time to take care of more things with the car than originally planned.
          2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

put me on the map !
            i'm in the clio/mt.morris area.
            i have a bronzitbeige 89 325is.
            @ Jorgen: Charbel does a lot of bmw work,check with him on that head.

Comment

Originally posted by 762mm View Post
              put me on the map !
              i'm in the clio/mt.morris area.
              i have a bronzitbeige 89 325is.
              @ Jorgen: Charbel does a lot of bmw work,check with him on that head.
              You are now on the map

What is the best way to get a hold of Charbel/do you have his number?
              '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

greetings from the armpit of detroit, downriver. well not really armpit, I think we're a bit cleaner with less crime. But not very worldly

put me on the map as well, gotta represent

I've got a 89 brilliantrot 325 ix. with so many things wrong with it i don't know where to start. but the engine runs , tranny works and the brakes stop it. I work way too much and don't have a lot of time to work on it, but i try.
                Red-ish 89 325ix with dent in the door, bad paint, missing center caps, broken defrost, broken ac, p/s pump may be going, brake pad sensors missing. On the plus side i just had the trannie and tc fixed for 2 grand!!

Comment

i talk to Charbel on Facebook, i don't know him well. i just know he does a lot of work on bmw's and he likes to go drifting at auto city on thursdays

Comment

Originally posted by catoichi View Post
                    greetings from the armpit of detroit, downriver. well not really armpit, I think we're a bit cleaner with less crime. But not very worldly

put me on the map as well, gotta represent

I've got a 89 brilliantrot 325 ix. with so many things wrong with it i don't know where to start. but the engine runs , tranny works and the brakes stop it. I work way too much and don't have a lot of time to work on it, but i try.
                    You are now on the map. It has been growing a little recently.

Hey, gotta start somewhere. Just get a Bentley manual and start reading.

Side note: Mid October meet? Any thoughts/interest?
                    '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyJew89 View Post

Side note: Mid October meet? Any thoughts/interest?

How about Sept 25th out at Waterford Hills Raceway?????? Open Track Day, and Thelma's big review!

And I'm down for a meet sometime in Oct too.

Also up for mid-week beer just about anytime as long as its at a craft-brew / brewery type place.

What say, you? SE Michigan R3V E30 Brewery Tour?
                      Ben
                      Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                      April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                      May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                      October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                      October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                      Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

I don't have time or money for an open track day unfortunately. However, a mid-week beer may be workable. Almost every Wednesday I go out to a bar/restaurant called McVees w/ friends. Not the best beer selection but they have an amazing 1/2 pound burger w/ fries for $3.50. Your welcome to join us if you want.
                        '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Hey guys, I got the ball rolling on an October meet.

Check it out: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109355
                          '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

i'm currently in chicago for school, but put me on the map for Lapeer. I'll be back by spring time

i've got an 87 325e with 885 head and i harness. Running, driving, continual work in progress...
                            1989 JDM-Tech 2
                            2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Originally posted by Simple_Smith View Post
                              i'm currently in chicago for school, but put me on the map for Lapeer. I'll be back by spring time

i've got an 87 325e with 885 head and i harness. Running, driving, continual work in progress...
                              Added ;)
                              '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

So, who had the red E30 out at Waterford on the 25th??????

I meant to come by and say hi, but our little bronzit chumpster had some teething problems...

1st session, CPS came unplugged, stranded the driver in turn 6 after just 3 laps.

2nd session, I got into a nice rhythm, running a nice conservative pace, not pushing very hard (still had street brakes on the car) and was pulling consistent low 1:26's (for reference, I run 1:18-1:19 in my Spec Miata on full race susp and RA1s). Then on the last lap the exhaust note dramatically changed. Broke a rocker arm, #6 exhaust. Back in the pits, the oil filter housing decided to start leaking and we discovered the new left front hub is loose.... So, car on the trailer and home to tear the engine down for rocker replacement....
                                Ben
                                Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                                April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                                May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                                October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                                October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                                Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X