VA: Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA: Garage

Hi everyone, I busted up my ball joints a few weeks ago replacing my struts. So, I really need to replace my control arms this weekend.
    I was wondering if anyone in or around Richmond could lend or rent even their garage for a day.
    Thanks for any help.
    I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

I'm in Richmond and have a garage in the Fan. Although warning, last time I replaced my control arms I broke the only tool that worked to get the passenger side control off of the car. So I might not have the stuff you need to actually do the job. PM Mcgyver (on R3V) as he has a place too that might be better suited for the job.

Also sign up for River City Bimmers and post there too. Lots of BMW guys on there from the 804.
    www.truegearhead.com
    - bad decisions & questionable cars

Comment

Which tool are you referring to?
      I have a pickle fork, hammer, and built up anger to get the ball joints off! Then I planned to use heat and hack saw to remove old bushings, and use 2x4's and a hammer to insert new bushings??
      I thought of asking Jerry but I didnt think he had a garage.
      Also, I tried to join river city but the site said membership was closed!?

Comment

Maybe the clearance is different on an M20 car vs. my M42. I ended up needing to make a big ass extention piece to get to the top bolt of my control arm. I had to briefly jack the engine up a couple of inches to get clearance too. PM me for my phone number and I can let you know where the garage is. I'm going to try to go to the gym in the late morning but should be over there in the afternoon. My buddy (also an R3V'er) has to change the oil on his gay, I mean Boxster, tomorrow too, so we should be around.
        www.truegearhead.com

Comment

Awesome, I'll double check but I think I can get to the top bolt of the inner from the engine bay. Pm sent.

Comment

Hold tight Matt. My buddy just reminded me that we blew the breaker last weekend with the welder and have no light/electricity at the garage. We need to call the Landlord and have him reset the breaker. I'm going to try to do this today, so hold on and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks.
            www.truegearhead.com

Comment

the only tool you should ever need to drop control arms or tie rods is a hand sledge.

you just bang on strut (the metal surrounding the bolt) a crap ton of times and then it pops right out. works every time.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Im in the fan too with a garage. I might be a bit late to the party here but thought Id offer. Im around Sunday/monday
                Ill pm you my cell

zach

Comment

Exciting update, Got the arms done in 1.5 hours.
                  Met a guy that work at dealership that helped me do it on the side for a small fee, and I mean small.

Comment

Congrats. Wish i couldve helped.

Comment

Not that I approve paying for work on my E30, but sometimes having a lift a hand an all the professional tools you can imagine has its benefit and value.
                      If anyone else needs work I highly recommend this guy and would be happy to share his information and rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X