Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
    It makes 400ftlbs of torque stock ;)

But honestly, as much as I don't want to be ruining these types of tags for other enthusiast such as you, and so many more, the laws also don't make sense to me. Buy an electric car that has destroyed parts of Canada to mine for batteries,
    Nobody cares about destroying Canada. True Story.

As far I know, many other states have 2 different kinds of plates for old/ vintage/ historic vehicles. One for low milage, pampered vehicles and the other simply for old, regularly driven vehicles. Am I correct on that?

Yes, you are correct about that, but IDK if you've actually read the regulations for it:

Example: In Virginia you have two options if you want antique/historic tags:

1. You can get them and NOT DD the car, and go by the regulations (car club activities, shows, etc and "occasional pleasure driving")

2. You can get historic tags (just for the looks) and DD your car. If you do this, your car STILL have to pass emissions and safety inspection.

This is the case in most states. There are only a few states that just let you "own an old car and not have to worry about safety or emissions," and IIRC those are all states with low population density where the pollution and safety aspect is mitigated.

It really isn't about raising revenue. My 318 is vintage tagged and CAN pass emissions/safety inspection. I could register it that way, with my vintage plates, and daily drive it. I don't need (or want) to daily drive it though, so I'm allowed to get the plates with no inspections, since the state knows I'm only going to drive it occasionally.

If the state really wanted to raise revenue, they could start having required "vintage car inspections" even for vintage plates - it would be reasonable for the state to say "we want to make sure your vintage car is safe to drive and not a danger to others on the road, even if it is old"

No, it wouldn't require airbags, or shoulder belts, or 5mph bumpers....but it would make sure cars had working lights, signals, brakes, etc....

Btw, I'm surprised any of you can take me seriously, I keep laughing whenever I see my avatar.
    I'm going to stay on you about this until I get me sunroof parts. Then I'll leave you alone
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      I can read edits btw.
      That ok, I edit my posts to prevent myself from coming off as an asshole. Thanks for acknowledging that I in fact edited and corrected myself. ;)

It will cost more money, as I will have to pay double to register my car under regular tags.

Then I have to pay for emissions testing every year, and the one time inspection.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

if this goes through, keep it historic, just keep all the parts needed to make it pass inspection.

hell, the ONLY factor should be smog if you actually keep up your car. we all do fresh bushings, take care of our brakes, and fix leaking steering/oil/fluids when we can.

and if there are any lights on your cluster, easy, just turn them off or black them out.

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
          hell, the ONLY factor should be smog
          Smog is the biggest fear. It takes more than a good cat to pass emissions.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            Smog is the biggest fear. It takes more than a good cat to pass emissions.

shit, i was thinking about the stuff you dump in your gas, but im gonna have a rebuilt motor soon, not gonna want to put anything other than what should go into in there, ya know.

w/e
            i know a few places that will hook a guy up ;)

Comment

In the past I have gotten 2 year waivers just by talking to the guy in the office and being cool. Can't count on it though...
              No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                Nobody cares about destroying Canada. True Story.
                :( Dangit. I know that, I laugh at America's Hatt just as much as the rest of the world, but its the place that has been most ravaged by mining... Heck, I didn't believe Canada existed until a few years ago

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

It makes 400ftlbs of torque stock ;)
                  As far I know, many other states have 2 different kinds of plates for old/ vintage/ historic vehicles. One for low milage, pampered vehicles and the other simply for old, regularly driven vehicles. Am I correct on that?
                  I love wisconsin. My sig car has these. None of our plates have mileage restrictions.

I don't have anything else to contribute though. Sorry.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I think I know where I may be moving...

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

I just submitted this to the maryland reddit to get the word out to more people.
                      http://www.reddit.com/r/maryland/com...igibility_for/
                      Last edited by VinniE30; 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM.
                      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

link not working.^^^

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

^ fixed :)
                          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

The law is going to suck for some guys (ones with Camaros, Mustangs, Some BMWs, and other "car guy" background orianted cars/trucks.) But will be a blessing to see the ones who abuse it with their trucks they use to hual junk in as dailys. Its a big problem around here... The frames on them are rusted and the trucks are bent into V's lol. And the same with the cars! Its like, wow! How is that even staying on the road? I still dont see this as going after Historic cars/trucks. But to get some of the junk off the road.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I see a number of pluses and minuses with this bill.

On the Positive side it will remove a lot of the heavy abuse by people who own broken down junk cars. That's great, I'd rather have them off the road to begin with.

My biggest concern is mileage restrictions - both on the insurance and state law side. I fully plan to use my future e30 as a weekender. I have my daily and I'm not getting rid of it any time soon. BUT I also fully plan on taking my e30 on long drives, WELL over the alotted yearly mileage for most antique insurance apps. I have no intention of dd'ing my e30 but, for instance, if I can't drive it to Yellowstone Park for a vacation, or up to New Hampshire for the BavAuto show and shine, I'm gonna be pissed as hell!!

It also has a lot to do with revenue for the state. By raising the age limit from 20-25 and requiring full inspection and emissions, the state stands to gain a ton of money!

Standard 2-year registration costs double what Historic registration costs. Raising the age limit now requires a large number of cars to be registered as "Standard" instead of historic. They just effectively doubled their registration revenues for the previously historic cars. Thats a lot of money.

The car is now required to comply with emissions testing every few years, where as a historic car is not tested at all. Even at $25 or whatever the cost was, that also a major jump in revenue that they state did not previously have.

The state also makes money off of inspections.... you see where I'm going with this.

In the end, the state stands to have a huge upside: lots of revenue & significantly reduced abuse. The enthusiasts, who historics are meant for, are severely limited in their ability to operate their cars. So this bill stands to do nothing for the citizens and everything for the state.

I'm building a turbo 2.7i e30, now I'm going to have to make sure that I have a separate exhaust system built just to pass emissions every few years. Why would I want to register my weekend car in this state if I can't drive it every weekend?
                              stephenbrody.com

Comment

MOM crushes Maryland. Again. Between this and the gas tax increase driving could very well suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X