No announcement yet.

MD Historic Tags : Sneaking Legislation! ALERT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking more on this today. Id say just put a cut off date of 1976 for Historics and be done with it :p

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      I was thinking more on this today. Id say just put a cut off date of 1976 for Historics and be done with it :p
      Screw that. E30s need to be included in historic. Make it end at 1991 so the E30 is included but nothing newer is. It would be wrong to have historic plates on an E36.
      You'll have to pry my historic plates from my cold dead hands.:)
      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
        Screw that. E30s need to be included in historic. Make it end at 1991 so the E30 is included but nothing newer is. It would be wrong to have historic plates on an E36.
        You'll have to pry my historic plates from my cold dead hands.:)
        hehe, it's probaby just my age, but i dont really see anything from the 80's as Historic. guess i just dont want to say i'm getting older :o lol

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Is everyone reading this wrong or is it just me. It doesnt say anything about emissiins for historic vehicles. Theyre trying ti make it so theyre not on the road. Whats the point of owning a vehicle that you cant drive.
          I cant believe ive heard nothing about this till now. I should check R3v more often again. Im a little worried
          m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
          build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
            Is everyone reading this wrong or is it just me. It doesnt say anything about emissiins for historic vehicles. Theyre trying ti make it so theyre not on the road. Whats the point of owning a vehicle that you cant drive.
            I cant believe ive heard nothing about this till now. I should check R3v more often again. Im a little worried
            Historics are inspection and emission exempt. They just want to push the years back to 25 years or older. And prove that you have "classic/collector" car insurance on your car/truck. The insurance part is what is going to kill alot of people.. Seeing that is said over and over again that people use their historic as a daily driver. I dont live in your fine state. But my state does have the rule for classic insurance on a Historic tagged car. I own and drive a historic car (65 Corvair) I take it out for shows, and on some nice days. It's not off the road compleatly. MD is just wanting to do that, have a Historic car as a Historic car! And i have had "historic cars" as dailys, they was tagged as a regular car and had regular insurance. I'm just wondering when this bill is going to come up for the state to look at?
            Last edited by JasonC; 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Not cool man :hitler:

My parents wouldn't mind seeing me without a historic tag though.

1 71 442
              1 68 Firebird
              1 88 E30.... Just doesn't fit in.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Historics are inspection and emission exempt. They just want to push the years back to 25 years or older. And prove that you have "classic/collector" car insurance on your car/truck. The insurance part is what is going to kill alot of people.. Seeing that is said over and over again that people use their historic as a daily driver. I dont live in your fine state. But my state does have the rule for classic insurance on a Historic tagged car. I own and drive a historic car (65 Corvair) I take it out for shows, and on some nice days. It's not off the road compleatly. MD is just wanting to do that, have a Historic car as a Historic car! And i have had "historic cars" as dailys, they was tagged as a regular car and had regular insurance. I'm just wondering when this bill is going to come up for the state to look at?
                Here's what I don't get about you - why do you want this thing passed so bad? Why do you even care if people drive historic registered cars as their daily? Sure it might be abusing the law, but just from a logical perspective, why is that such a bad thing, besides the fact that it is the law?

The only difference it would make for me is having to reregister my car, put on ugly plates, and figure out a way to "pass" emissions testing. The emissions part is the main thing that gets me mad. I should be exempt as an older car. Relative to the amount of cars on the road the ones that are historic are very small and the extra emissions they put out is insignificant. Not to mention it's just a bullshit environmental thing anyway, not actually doing any harm. It's better for the environment to drive a car already built than contribute to using more resources to build a brand new one.

Are you thinking that it would be worse off for you because to the police it might make you look like just another person daily driving a historic like the rest of them?

To be completely honest I think you should be allowed to daily with historic plates. Maybe they can make something else for show only historic cars. If you really want to stand out from the historic dailyers maybe they can make you some extreme historic plates only for extremely old cars that are driven extremely rarely.:)

Comment

My biggest gripe is that people are putting these tags on piles of junk! I'm talking full size trucks with frames that are rusted so bad that the truck is bent in a V. And cars that belong in the crusher. Its not because of the law. Its almost a safety stand point. People like you and me take care of our cars and dont let them go to where they are a danger to others. But the ones that go out and buy these older cars/trucks so they can slap a historic tag on them just so they dont have to get it to pass an inspection, cause they know it wont pass. Like i said, this is going to suck for car guys that like their late 1980's cars. Or for people who put V8's in their S10's and whatever popular trend there is. But MD is kind of a nazi state when it comes to things. You guys need to get together and figure out what needs to be done. Cause it looks like it finally happened with the people abusing the Historic tags. And now look where it got everyone.
                  Last edited by JasonC; 02-17-2012, 11:28 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    Not cool man :hitler:

My parents wouldn't mind seeing me without a historic tag though.

1 71 442
                    1 68 Firebird
                    1 88 E30.... Just doesn't fit in.
                    lol :)

I seen the 442 in one of your post when you first joined!

The e30 dont really fit in there like you said. But i took my e30 to shows and people still looked at it. I dont know what the car scene is like down there. But alot of late model cars are showing up at shows where it was more of a place for pre 1972 cars. It is nice to see the newer models cause it is a nice change of scenery.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Alright yeah I agree that the old rusty pile of junk belongs in the crusher trucks shouldn't have them.:-)

Comment

Its a hit or miss with me on the trucks. I can see a 1950 Ford truck having Historics. But a 85 Ford??? IDK....

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. Instead of having emissions or inspection they shoupd have a safety check. To at least make sure the car has seatbelts, non busted up/totalled frame and decent tires.
                          Im not for the man telling I cant drive a car I take care of..

Comment

And the whole cut off age point, a 20 year old car is old enough I think. 25yr old cars are definitely old enough to be historic. Making it a certain year for the cut off date would be silly

Comment

I was just having fun with you guys on the year cut off, hense the :p. But yeah, a safety inspection would be great. But you do know that alot of cars didnt have seatbealts in them before 1966, so would they be made to put in? Personaly id keep them out of the car if it wasnt part of the car originaly.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                                Alright yeah I agree that the old rusty pile of junk belongs in the crusher trucks shouldn't have them.:-)
                                I have to agree.

If they made a provision for a basic inspection (lights, wipers, giant gaping rust holes, ect) and no other changes, I would fully support it. I loved the inspections when I lived in WV.
                                No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X