Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a shop/ mechanic in NoVA/DC/S. MD

Team R3V,
    My 325is is due for some routine maintenance. I am looking to complete a full tune up, fix a couple of oil leaks, flush the coolant and rear diff & possibly (if needed) have the valves adjusted.
    For the past twenty years, the car has gone to Alexandria Bavarian Service. While I know this is a great shop with an awesome reputation, I can't help but think they are overpriced looking at the past receipts - especially considering the simplicity of the M20 & E30 chassis.

I have heard good things about Einstein in College Park, MD. How are their prices? Also, are there any ASE certified mechanics on here that would want to work on it on the side? Time is not an issue for me if you have a regular job and need more time to complete.

Before everyone tells me to learn and to do it myself, understand I live in an apt. complex that will not allow me to wrench on my own car. I am new to the area and don't have any friends that have access to a garage or tools for that matter. I also searched before posting but most requests I found were around Baltimore.

Cliffnotes: Looking for a cheap garage/mechanic with decent mechanical know-how of E30

Thanks in advance!
    1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
    SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
    Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Might I suggest more or less demanding a reduced rate from ABS? After all, the car has been going there for 20 years and I know they don't want to lose customers.

Alternately, if you go the independent operator route be sure to have all the parts you need in advance (even the fluids) otherwise you will end up with cheapies on/in the car or a wait of a few days and extra shipping expenses.

Comment

If you are a member of the BMW CCA, you could accomplish some of these tasks easily at our monthly DIYs. A coolant flush or doing fluids (diff, MTL, brake, etc.), would be a good place to start.

Next DIY is March 9th and sign up is later this week.

See: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/content.php

Comment

Have you looked at J&F Motors in Arlington? I don't think they're SUPER excited to work on E30s, but I think that's because they assume that if you're driving a 25 year-old car, you're a cheap ass. But, after spending $10k there in 6 months, I think they're coming around.

I get the impression they do a lot of volume, so to squeeze me in I leave mine there for longer periods of time and they work on it in their spare time for a reduced rate. I haven't been able to figure out how much it's reduced, though. I've thought about asking for the full rate and getting put to the top of the list, but I know it doesn't work that way; you want to make as many people happy as possible as quickly as possible.

They ain't cheap, but they've certainly treated me right. The first time I showed up there, I had given up on a project - I had the entire dashboard in the trunk. After a few weeks, the dash was back in and everything worked. Every single light bulb was working, every button, the odo and spedo gears fixed, tiny plastic screws were added where the PO had used freaking wood screws, the top of the inside of the glovebox was MIA, so they put one in...all kinds of little things were just added gratis.

Talk to Mike at the front desk and tell him I said Hi. Unless you're showing up without a dashboard.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by franziskaner View Post
          Have you looked at J&F Motors in Arlington? I don't think they're SUPER excited to work on E30s, but I think that's because they assume that if you're driving a 25 year-old car, you're a cheap ass. But, after spending $10k there in 6 months, I think they're coming around.

I get the impression they do a lot of volume, so to squeeze me in I leave mine there for longer periods of time and they work on it in their spare time for a reduced rate. I haven't been able to figure out how much it's reduced, though. I've thought about asking for the full rate and getting put to the top of the list, but I know it doesn't work that way; you want to make as many people happy as possible as quickly as possible.

They ain't cheap, but they've certainly treated me right. The first time I showed up there, I had given up on a project - I had the entire dashboard in the trunk. After a few weeks, the dash was back in and everything worked. Every single light bulb was working, every button, the odo and spedo gears fixed, tiny plastic screws were added where the PO had used freaking wood screws, the top of the inside of the glovebox was MIA, so they put one in...all kinds of little things were just added gratis.

Talk to Mike at the front desk and tell him I said Hi. Unless you're showing up without a dashboard.

Nate
          If I remember correctly the labor rate is like $120 an hour and they also charge you 1 hour for diagnostic fee before they will do any work. Do they do good work? Yes and they know their stuff. Are they hella expensive, absolutely.

$10,000, WTF??? Besides the dash what else did they do? You would have been better off driving to NJ and leaving your car at GutenParts. I can only imagine what kind of overhaul Levent would have been able to do with half that cash.
          1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
          1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
          September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
          Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Sorry, they did a ton of other stuff including rebuilding the entire top end of the engine, new radiator and hoses, A/C repair and a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember right now.

Comment

My car was serviced at J & F most of its life. They did some fucked up stuff, like cutting/splicing the injector harness. I understand this was all more than a decade ago, but I still wouldn't take a car there.
              --Will

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am probably going to stay away from J&F - They sound pretty spendy and have some mixed reviews.

I am planning on joining the BMW CCA & hopefully will have the opportunity to come out to some of the DIY events.

A forum member reached out to me and is going to start working on the car. I have already ordered a complete tune-up kit form FCP Thanks for everyone's input!

SOLD

Comment

i work at don beyer volvo/subaru/kia as a kia technician. one of the nice things is my bosses are cool and allow us to have friends come in after hours if they need work done on their cars.
                  me and a buddy just stretched some 185's on a 13x8's for an e21 last night. the fenders needed some rolling with a 2x4 but it looked pretty sick when we were done and didnt rub anywhere..yet.

if u want to come by one day we can get it in the air, figure out exactly what u want to do and we can come up with a cost. u can even chill in the shop while im working on the car
                  m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
                  build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

I use Stauffers Auto in Millersville, Md ... They are an independent shop specializing in german cars. The owner and every employee are e30 fanatics. Their rates are very reasonable, they are honest, and do the job the right way. They have a warehouse of just about any e30 part you would ever need or want whether you have a 2.5, 2.7, or 24v swap. It is just my opinion but any bmw owner within driving distance that needs a mechanic or parts should be using these guys. I was referred to them 3 years ago when I got my first e30 and can not imagine using anyone else.

Give them a call... (410) 729-0121

Comment

Originally posted by swingard View Post
                      I use Stauffers Auto in Millersville, Md ... They are an independent shop specializing in german cars. The owner and every employee are e30 fanatics. Their rates are very reasonable, they are honest, and do the job the right way. They have a warehouse of just about any e30 part you would ever need or want whether you have a 2.5, 2.7, or 24v swap. It is just my opinion but any bmw owner within driving distance that needs a mechanic or parts should be using these guys. I was referred to them 3 years ago when I got my first e30 and can not imagine using anyone else.

Give them a call... (410) 729-0121
                      Thanks for the heads up! It sounds like a valuable resource and definitely worth checking out.
                      Right now, e30mpg (Jimmy) is handling a tune up on my car. I appreciate everyone's support and advice.

Cheers

SOLD

Comment

jimmy!
                        cool guy
                        m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
                        build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

European Auto in Silver Spring. They do what needs to be done at a good price. And they race them,or have, so they know them inside and out. I've been taking mine there since I got it.
                          astiv43
                          '89 Zinoberrot 325i 'vert, auto

Comment

I cannot say enough about Gary Martin at Martin Motorsports in Alexandria. Honest service. He doesn't do extra work, but he also does enough to make sure your car is not going to breakdown on you!

Best mechanic I have had in 20 years... been going there for over 2 years now, after doing the work myself for the last 10. I know when someone is BSing me. I have never thought that about Gary... and that is #1 in my book. Honesty.

Comment

I do my own maintenance but my neighbor and several people I work with use Pete at Euro Motors. 703-928-7722.

Autoy and Autowerke in Rockville are great but I always end up spending way too much money when I've taken a car there. 301-770-0700.

Comment

Working...
                              X