Reputable Machine Shops near Annapolis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reputable Machine Shops near Annapolis?

Hey, I am looking for a reputable machine shop in the Annapolis/Glen Burnie/Laurel area. Most machine shops I have talk to don't seem like they bother with imports and focus their efforts on Muscle Car builds. I mainly need to have my flywheel resurfaced and lightened (but very specifically lightened to M3 Evo specs). Also, may need some engine work and/or engine inspections in the near future.

Any ideas?
    sigpic

Not exactly in your area but not that far away.
    Bob Berger @ Berger's Machine and Marine
    This guy is awesome. Used to do driveshaft work for PTG I have been told.

What I do know is when no one could build me a driveshaft that wouldn't vibrate at high RPM, Bob Berger did it on the first try.

Berger's Machine and Marine  
    21843 Millers Church Rd,
    Hagerstown, MD 21742
    Phone: (301) 790-3511
    Jimmy P.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
    98 318Ti Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Woody at Bert's garage in Mayo. CGM Motorsport in Millersville. I'm sure Stauffer's could recommend more.

Comment

CGM is right by me. Do you have experience with them. Year ago I had to get a crank pulley milled fown for a swap in my Corrado, and they said they didnt have the right machine for it. I feel like they just didnt want to deal with a small custom job. Maybe I just got a bad salesperson. I dunno. But I would love to go to them as they are so local.
        sigpic

Comment

CGM worked on one of my heads and helped me with another. They are not cheap but they know what they are doing and aren't just going for the money. If they say they don't have the tool for the job believe them. They don't do pistons but when I needed work on some pistons they recommend a good shop. Try asking them for a recommendation. The piston shop was behind the owners house. Word of mouth seemed the only advertising.

Comment

RRT is out by Dulles Airport. I'm sure they could recommend someone. I have not lived in DC in 12 years so tough knowing who is open or closed these days.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I will call CGM in the morning and report back. Closer to me the better.
              sigpic

Comment

Burtonsville Machine is next to Laurel. They resurfaced my head, done in a day, only $85. They really seemed to know what they were talking about. I will be going back to them whenever I need machine work.

AWD > RWD

Comment

I called CGM this morning and they said they can lighten and balance flywheels. But once I told them it was a dual mass flywheel, they told me they don't mess with those. Soooo I will keep looking.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    Burtonsville Machine is next to Laurel. They resurfaced my head, done in a day, only $85. They really seemed to know what they were talking about. I will be going back to them whenever I need machine work.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...!4d-76.9168956
                    I called Burtonsville Machine and they said they will resurface, but wont balance or lighten it as its a dual mass flywheel. This is becoming quite a pain.
                    sigpic

Comment

The E30M3 flywheel is not dual mass. Its a solid lump of steel.
                      Jimmy P.
                      98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

After further inspection, my oem flywheel is in fact damaged. And a new unit (or replacement) will be needed. So no machine shop needed in the meantime. Thanks everyone for your help.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                          Take them off your list.
                          The E30M3 flywheel is not dual mass. If they don't know that you don't want them touching your flywheel anyway.

Give Bob Berger a call, its only 90 mins Annapolis to Hagerstown and I am betting he will have all the facilities to do it.
                          I thought E30 M3 flywheels were dual mass but Evo flywheels were single. This is strictly going off ECS Tunings website which says OEM dual mass flywheel.

sigpic

Comment

Nope, I can state with the same certainty as I know my own birthday that S14 flywheels are single mass.

I believe some regular E30s had dual mass units,,, not 100% sure, but I do know S14s and S14 flywheels are single mass.
                            Jimmy P.
                            98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Well good t know. Thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...