Springtime Meetup on the Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springtime Meetup on the Mississippi

Alright everyone with the winter ahead of us, we need something to look forward to for spring time. After going down to Import Alliance this July and having an awesome time there I would like to try to setup a Midwest e30/euro meetup in the spring.

First of all, I am open to suggestions for a possible venue/ meeting place. This is by no means set in stone and I'm just trying to gauge interest at this point.

Based on the Midwest e30 Owners Gruppe, the central point for a meet would be somewhere on the Mississippi near the Iowa/Missouri border. I was thinking maybe camping at a state park near there (Shimek State Forest is very near there) for the weekend and get to meet everyone and chill.

This location is ~4 hours from Chicago and Kansas City, just under 5 from Milwaukee, and ~3 hours from St. Louis.

On one hand, I'd like to try to branch out to other euro forums i.e. VWVortex, e46fanatics, Audizine, etc. but then that could turn into a problem with having a bunch of people in one place with no permits etc. On the other hand I'd like to keep it in the e30 community, but I'm afraid most people won't want to drive 4 hours or so just to see a couple e30s

I've never organized something like this before so I would appreciate it if someone that has done this sort of thing could help out with pointers, etc.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Corey
    1989 JDM-Tech 2
    2010 335 D for daily

I think this is an awesome idea, I know that corey and I would be able to bring down around 3-5 cars at least from our group alone, let alone all of Chicago. To make this a substantial/worthwhile event, we will want a good amount of people and cars. We should keep it around that area and meet up at some point where some awesome driving roads start. Most of the time they are in forest preserves and have camping. Depending on the type of crowd, we could keep it kind of close to actual lodging just incase some people are deterred by camping (which would be super lame). I know Kingston is also planning a spring time cruise/vacation and i think it would be great to have the two overlap and since i believe he is also planning on bringing a good amount of the e30 folks with. If anybody has some ideas as to good spots and/or roads around that area to start think about, please do not hesitate to post.

Comment

I think this is a great idea! I am down to help promote this and will definitely be attending. I should be able to bring several other cars with me as well, and hopefully a Car Photographer as well. I will work on putting together a kick-ass route to the meet site as well, in the hopes that I can get more people interested in a back-roads blast rather than a big highway blast
      Originally posted by LJ851
      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
      #teamross
      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

I think you want to make sure that Saturday is the big day for the meet. People could come in Friday and hang out, maybe find a cool bar/restaurant to hang out together, then do a big BBQ on Saturday at the meet spot. I will ask a couple of vendors if I could get any kind of swag from them as well. I don't know that area well, so we'll need to do some research...

#teamross

Comment

kingston... you know im always in..

Comment

Originally posted by 6gen91 View Post
            kingston... you know im always in..
            Now it's a party :) Fugging awesome, dude!

#teamross

Comment

Looks like we'll have a caravan coming from chicago!
              1989 JDM-Tech 2
              2010 335 D for daily

Comment

I would be down to going! Make a weekend out of it, cruisin' with Kingston and the boys, sounds like a good time. Maybe I will think of another fun/crazy paint job to debut around that time. Hahaha

Comment

lets gooooooooooooo you know im going.. ;)

Comment

Alright so definitely a full weekend event. Some people can get there on friday if you can get off work then it'll be just a chill campfire/bar night. The main show/meet will be saturday afternoon giving everyone time to drive in the morning if need be and get there at a reasonable time. Sunday maybe a morning cruise then back to the campsite or hotel, pack up and head out whenever

How does May 16-18th sound?
                    Last edited by Simple_Smith; 10-23-2013, 08:47 PM.
                    1989 JDM-Tech 2
                    2010 335 D for daily

Comment

I'm down for whenever, more than enough time of notice so it doesn't bother me

Comment

Works for me, as long as that's not when GFest is...

#teamross

Comment

Originally posted by Aeirvin_95 View Post
                          I would be down to going! Make a weekend out of it, cruisin' with Kingston and the boys, sounds like a good time. Maybe I will think of another fun/crazy paint job to debut around that time. Hahaha
                          Damn right!

#teamross

Comment

Fort Madison area is 4 hours from me in Mason City. If this really goes down I'd be in to try make it down there. Would also motivate me to get some work done this winter. Count me in.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
                              Fort Madison area is 4 hours from me in Mason City. If this really goes down I'd be in to try make it down there. Would also motivate me to get some work done this winter. Count me in.
                              That's a big reason I want to do this. It will help motivate everyone to get projects done sooner over the winter, which for me will definitely help because like a lot of people on here, I have a lot to accomplish in just a few months. I'm looking forward to seeing all you guys out there!
                              1989 JDM-Tech 2
                              2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Working...
                              X