X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterMiniS View Post
    Well that is just complete bullshit. Read down

Discount Tire will not mount tires that are over 10 years because one of their employees was airing one (years ago) up that they did mount and the tire exploded in the kids face and killed him. No scary myth to cover their ass, it happened.

I know tire technology has come a long way over the years and this becomes less and less likely, but it does happen. I have personally seen a tire with an impact separation being aired backup that exploded (in a tire cage, thankfully). So, being negligent of tires is not a good idea. Companies do not deal with old tires for very valid reasons.
    Well you're complete bullshit.

;)

Seriously though, I agree. With the above and what Chris said earlier. 3 years old, ok. but a freaking decade???? yeah I dunno. When I think about it, i really don't want tires that were made when I was 15.

As far as politics, walmart won't mount anything over 2 years old (or 3?) which is a little BS-ish. 10 years, yeah I understand.

so ANYWAY, offered the guy $60, he turned it down, prob for the better. I was relieved to be honest. So I quenched my need for buying shit by taking a look at an '88 635CSi in Boulder for $900. Yep, runs and drives, straight body, not terrible interior, needs TLC in general though, like a new shift lever and tires and a battery.

Comment

So even though you understand why tire shops won't mount old ass tires and agreeing that it probably isn't safe you still offered to buy the old ass tires? Is it just me or did you not follow your own logic?
      89 325i (Sold)
      95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
      2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
        So even though you understand why tire shops won't mount old ass tires and agreeing that it probably isn't safe you still offered to buy the old ass tires? Is it just me or did you not follow your own logic?
        You realize this is Sam, and the tires are cheap, right?
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I offered to buy the tires long before I read and posted above.

anyway, case closed.

Comment

on the other hand, when I was in europe, I saw loads of traffic taking old tires and cars to Africa. That top gear episode where they cross the sahara... where do you think those cars came from?

My second house I lived in, was above a shop and my landlord used the shop to fix up and sell cars in the below $5,000 range. Because of this he had lots of africans (from the continent, no racist) comming by all the time to buy old mercedes and BMW's.

I also saw them buying truckloads full of used tires from a tire shop I regularly visited. I told the owner that I'd never again pay a "disposal" fee for him to turn around and sell them in bulk to africans.

When I went scuba diving in Egypt, I saw a few tire shops in town and guess what... NO new tires!

So while I think the risk of installing old tires is higher, I think there are millions of people in other nations doing it every day. Don't go to a major tire shop, take them to a bit more shaddy place that looks like its selling used tires. The type of place where you can pay the guy in a cube of natty ice.
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              on the other hand, when I was in europe, I saw loads of traffic taking old tires and cars to Africa. That top gear episode where they cross the sahara... where do you think those cars came from?

My second house I lived in, was above a shop and my landlord used the shop to fix up and sell cars in the below $5,000 range. Because of this he had lots of africans (from the continent, no racist) comming by all the time to buy old mercedes and BMW's.

I also saw them buying truckloads full of used tires from a tire shop I regularly visited. I told the owner that I'd never again pay a "disposal" fee for him to turn around and sell them in bulk to africans.

When I went scuba diving in Egypt, I saw a few tire shops in town and guess what... NO new tires!

So while I think the risk of installing old tires is higher, I think there are millions of people in other nations doing it every day. Don't go to a major tire shop, take them to a bit more shaddy place that looks like its selling used tires. The type of place where you can pay the guy in a cube of natty ice.
              bingo. when i had new tires put on my 240, i took it to "los broncos tire shop" on Colfax and Raleigh. Got some used michelins put on for ~$150 out the door and they took my old tires for free. That being said, for the BMWs, I'm a bit more picky. It's also very surprising how much of our tires are sent down south to Mexico and central america.

Comment

Take them to a mexican tire shop or peerless...
                sigpic
                HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                " enjoy the show "

Comment

he wouldn't take my offer, it is a moot point. No tires.

Comment

2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

Comment

Fucking Epic

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                        Originally posted by DTM190
                        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                          Originally posted by DTM190
                          "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Hahahaa, wtf are these "because race car" photos comming from? What started it?
                            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                              rofl....literally
                              89 325i (Sold)
                              95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                              2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                Hahahaa, wtf are these "because race car" photos comming from? What started it?

No idea but its hilarious...
                                sigpic
                                HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                                " enjoy the show "

Comment

Working...
                                X