Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was my thought, just kinda asking as many questions as I can. Fixing cars doesn't bother me at all, I love working on my car almost as much as I like driving it.

Comment

I do too, but you don't wanna spend more time under it than in it... If I were going to do it, id find a 92 325is with as solid a platform as possible, drive it and learn it. General maintain. and upgrade key parts. Then down the road, after learning to not suck on track in a cheap car, you throw on bumpers and trim, motor and trans, and continue down the path.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

I'm glad the E34 track car idea only lasted a page and a half. The E34 is a nice car, but too heavy for track use, and if you get sticky tires then you will shred the suspension joints was faster than the already fast rate of wear!

A 4 door E36 would be dirt cheap to find. might I suggest looking for a $1500 E36 in socal + $500 plane ticket/gas instead of a $2000 colorado car that has seen winter use...
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

A 4 door E36 would be dirt cheap to find. might I suggest looking for a $1500 E36 in socal + $500 plane ticket/gas instead of a $2000 colorado car that has seen winter use...
          A 4door is what I want, there isn't any weight difference besides window mechanisms and what not is there? I like the SOCAL Idea. Maybe over fall break, I love it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            What's wrong with a Colorado car? we have a very dry climate (dryer than SoCal), and don't use salt on our roads. The underside of my car has absolutely 0 rust, and was someones year-round Colorado DD until 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
              A 4door is what I want, there isn't any weight difference besides window mechanisms and what not is there? I like the SOCAL Idea. Maybe over fall break, I love it there.
              4 doors are marginally heavier, but it comes down to options ordered really. The difference is usually in the double digits only, not something you'll notice. If you can find one without a sunroof, that's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                4 doors are marginally heavier, but it comes down to options ordered really. The difference is usually in the double digits only, not something you'll notice. If you can find one without a sunroof, that's the way to go.
                Cool, I know with the E30 the four door is a little stiffer chassis. No sun roof is what I was looking for, I only tilt mine anyways.

I know this is a touchy subject. If I were to go with a roll bar, fixed back seats and a 5 or 6 point harness, could I still drive it on the street? I know the back seat is useless, I have only had more than 2 people in a car about 5 times.

Lambo, up for a flight and road trip to socal?

Comment

I know this is a touchy subject. If I were to go with a roll bar, fixed back seats and a 5 or 6 point harness, could I still drive it on the street? I know the back seat is useless, I have only had more than 2 people in a car about 5 times.
                  As long as you don't roll it, you should be fine. If you're going to be at risk of rolling it, you need to be rolling with a helmet on, but the only time you should be driving like that is at the track anyways. Pretty hard to roll an E36 on tarmac.

Comment

Let's do it.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Roland, on the Doubles vs Singles-- I'd go with doubles since adjusting compression is really nice to have. Not necessary, no....but I know a few folks who wish they went with the doubles the first time around.

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                      You'll spend more money and time fixing it than driving it, David may or may not agree. If you grab a healthy e36 and go to the track, then you'll be a much faster driver once you can quickly and properly put an M together... Or swap the regular e36 and you'll be upgrading a car you're already familiar with and the insurance and stuff, like it was mentioned before, would be cheaper
                      This. I agree entirely, mine had some issues that cropped up in the PPI, some that didn't until a year later. I spent a long time dealing with them until I had the car the way I wanted it.

Cool, I know with the E30 the four door is a little stiffer chassis. No sun roof is what I was looking for, I only tilt mine anyways.

I DD mine with a roll bar, fixed back seat, and 6pt harness.

Be aware though, that to do ^^ correctly in any car is EXPENSIVE. Seats are $800 each, mounts are another $300 each, harnesses are $350-400 each, roll bar is $400-800....it adds up QUICK. That's where the vast majority of my mod money has gone, interior safety. This is also NOT an area to skimp out on, either do it right or stay stock until you can.

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                      I do too, but you don't wanna spend more time under it than in it... If I were going to do it, id find a 92 325is with as solid a platform as possible, drive it and learn it. General maintain. and upgrade key parts. Then down the road, after learning to not suck on track in a cheap car, you throw on bumpers and trim, motor and trans, and continue down the path.
                      That.

Oh, and Ben....you say I'd approve of your Subaru plan. Does it involve H6?
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

As long as you don't roll it, you should be fine. If you're going to be at risk of rolling it, you need to be rolling with a helmet on, but the only time you should be driving like that is at the track anyways. Pretty hard to roll an E36 on tarmac.
                        I don't drive that fast generally. I don't think I am gonna try and drive fast enough on the street to roll it. For that matter I don't really ever want to roll a car.

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                        Let's do it.
                        There are a ton of E36's there.

auto, a manual tranny isn't that expensive is it?

Just a cursory scan.

Comment

manual trans is ~$300, $400 with warranty and low miles from a recycler.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

What's wrong with a Colorado car? we have a very dry climate (dryer than SoCal), and don't use salt on our roads. The underside of my car has absolutely 0 rust, and was someones year-round Colorado DD until 2008.
                            I just took my last 5 years in germany with the wretched salt machines, and colorado's proximity to the midwest/rust belt as a bad sign. Forgot you guys use sand/river rocks instead of salt. Without the rust problem, I'd bet you get more car for the dollar in CA.

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                            I DD mine with a roll bar, fixed back seat, and 6pt harness.

Be aware though, that to do ^^ correctly in any car is EXPENSIVE. Seats are $800 each, mounts are another $300 each, harnesses are $350-400 each, roll bar is $400-800....it adds up QUICK. That's where the vast majority of my mod money has gone, interior safety. This is also NOT an area to skimp out on, either do it right or stay stock until you can.
                            True story! My interior is at about the same level as yours and it for sure wasn't cheap!

Oh and I'm DDing the E30 right now, and it's a total PITA to drive.:(
                            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Even if Colorado cars are rust free I still want to go back to socal, I like it a lot, and a road trip sounds fun.

I am not planning on a cage anytime soon, I was just curious, there is a lot of crap floating around about that kinda stuff.

A manual swap really widens the search possibilities.

Comment

A manual swap really widens the search possibilities.
                                A manual swap in the college parking lot sounds like a surefire way to attract women.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X