This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I do it again.... I'm building a Subaru

Also, I'd do what David suggests save for the TCklines... You can always swap in the M bits later if you want, including bumpers.... Queue Roland saying that's a dumb idea

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
    Originally posted by DTM190
    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
      I would highly recommend not getting a modded E36 non-M to start. Get a bone stock with good records, you should be able to get one for $2-4k depending on your budget, condition, miles, etc. The 92 325is has a hotter cammed motor and rips to redline, but the 93+ has vanos, more aftermarket support, more torque and midrange (and fuel econ), but less top end zing. A 328i/is will be $4-7k depending on condition, much more torque, better motor, better body panels....but pricier.

Here is what I would buy:

$3k ish E36 non-M.
      $2500 on TCKline Double Adjustable coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates
      $500 on brake pads/rotors, ss lines, rebuilt calipers, and good fluid
      $1500 on Apex ARC8 17x9 with 255/40/17 Hankook RS3

and drive the utter piss out of it, adding stuff as budget and needs grow.
      I don't know much about the e36 motors, but could the non vanos cams be swapped to the vanos motor for more top end? I like the idea of aftermarket support, the E30 has very little of that.

Would buying a modded car from an enthusiast such as from Bimmerforums be a bad idea?

I don't have a ton of money now but gears are churning.

As much as I love Subarus the only ones I like are expensive. What else is similar to the E36 in terms of tracking ability, I love Japanese cars, BMW has had me sucked in for a while though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
        I would highly recommend not getting a modded E36 non-M to start. Get a bone stock with good records, you should be able to get one for $2-4k depending on your budget, condition, miles, etc. The 92 325is has a hotter cammed motor and rips to redline, but the 93+ has vanos, more aftermarket support, more torque and midrange (and fuel econ), but less top end zing. A 328i/is will be $4-7k depending on condition, much more torque, better motor, better body panels....but pricier.

Here is what I would buy:

$3k ish E36 non-M Sedan (girls don't like climbing over a seat to get in the back, especially if you have fixed backs).
        $1500 on TCKline Single Adjustable coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates
        $500 on brake pads/rotors, ss lines, rebuilt calipers, and good fluid
        $1500 on DForce (they look better) LTW5 17x9 whiles with 255/40/17 Hankook RS3 tires.
        $1000ish on good supportive seats

and drive the utter piss out of it, adding stuff as budget and needs grow.
        Fixed and added a few things.

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
        When I go back into the closet again.... I'm building a Subaru
        fixed.

You can always swap in the M bits later if you want, including bumpers.... Queue Roland saying that's a dumb idea
        Nope, actually a great idea for a track car. The money that you'll save on insuring a 325/328 instead of an M3 will pay for the bumper/mirror/trim swap within a year.

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
        I don't know much about the e36 motors, but could the non vanos cams be swapped to the vanos motor for more top end?
        Nope, wouldn't be worth it anyway, cams in these motors are a waste of money unless you're building it to race in a certain class.

Would buying a modded car from an enthusiast such as from Bimmerforums be a bad idea?
        Depends on who you're buying from. My car is modded, I am an enthusiast, and I'm on bimmerforums.

I don't have a ton of money now but gears are churning.
        Welcome to modding.

Comment

What Subarus do you like? Chances are I've owned it lol... I know what I'm building and it's not what I've previously owned... David'd probably approve

Damn you Roland

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            2. Buy E36 325/328 and have more fun, more comfort, and an uglier car

Comment

What Subarus do you like? Chances are I've owned it lol... I know what I'm building and it's not what I've previously owned... David'd probably approve

Damn you Roland
              I like STI's :). The Hawkeyes and bug eyes are my favorite. Up to '05. I also like the GC8 Impreza's a lot. I can't afford any of them though.

Roland, you make a good point. 4 door it is. Oh and The Apex Arc-8's look better! I haven't looked into suspension much, but I will start researching.

If anyone comes across a nice E36 send me the link please!

Comment

I had an 07 hawkeye STi (06-07 body style) and I had an 03 WRX, bugeye body style (02-03). Lol... My project will probably be building off a GC

Comment

My project will probably be building off a GC
                  Yes yes yes yes....I want a GC8...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I want one of those two, but I want some rwd fun.

Would it be a terrible idea to buy a project M3 that needs shocks, brakes, tires etc if I am just going to replace them?

Comment

Do you have a link? Or just an idea?

If I could find an obd2 M3 with crap paint and decently straight body panels, a trashed set of seats and carpet, needing brake pads, rotors, fluid changes, tires, and had some bent wheels... For like, $2k.... I wouldn't hesitate buying it if the motor and trans seemed strong

Comment

Do you have a link? Or just an idea?

If I could find an obd2 M3 with crap paint and decently straight body panels, a trashed set of seats and carpet, needing brake pads, rotors, fluid changes, tires, and had some bent wheels... For like, $2k.... I wouldn't hesitate buying it if the motor and trans seemed strong
                        I don't have a link, I was just wondering if it would be a bad idea, it seems logical if I am going to replace that stuff.

Comment

Well it really has to be looked at case by case... If you are an experienced driver and you have like $12k cash sitting in the bank of fun money, then yeah, buy a fixer upper and just upgrade everything that needed replacing / upgrading anyway... If it's more like, build it as you go.... Buy the regular e36 and stretch your pennies while you learn to not suck on track

Comment

I am definitely gonna be a penny stretcher, but if I come across a killer deal on a decent M3 I am prolly gonna take that over a regular E36.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                              The exception is a 4door estoril or dakar M3.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

You'll spend more money and time fixing it than driving it, David may or may not agree. If you grab a healthy e36 and go to the track, then you'll be a much faster driver once you can quickly and properly put an M together... Or swap the regular e36 and you'll be upgrading a car you're already familiar with and the insurance and stuff, like it was mentioned before, would be cheaper

Comment

Working...
                                X