• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bene View Post
    I wish but seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Bene View Post
      Should be used on all subarus. They might not be as ugly afterwards.
      89 325i (Sold)
      95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
      2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
        Should be used on all subarus. They might not be as ugly afterwards.
        Or bouncy.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
          Eh. The rear suspension arms on the early cars are short, so the camber curve is a little exciting. I'm sure it can be made to handle well. I would get a later S14, they were the best (but also the heaviest.)

The R32 time attack cars are almost all GTRs. Apples:Oranges.

RWD from Japan.. G35/350Z is getting cheap. Same with S2000. Depends on your budget and how much you want to spend after the fact on parts, maint, and mods... and how fast you want to go.

It's really hard to beat an E36 M3 dollar-for-dollar if you need to drive the car on the street much.
          Could the later arms be put on, or aftermarket arms fix that? I know the time attack cars are GTRs, but they still use the same rear suspension from what I have read.

My budget is not that high. The M3 is too expensive. I don't really want an e36 and I have one e30. I want something different. If there is anything similar rwd to the 240 that is the same price I am all ears. I am really attracted to the 240 because of the immense aftermarket and the easily swapped in turbo engine, I have wanted turbo for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
            Could the later arms be put on, or aftermarket arms fix that? I know the time attack cars are GTRs, but they still use the same rear suspension from what I have read.

My budget is not that high. The M3 is too expensive. I don't really want an e36 and I have one e30. I want something different. If there is anything similar rwd to the 240 that is the same price I am all ears. I am really attracted to the 240 because of the immense aftermarket and the easily swapped in turbo engine, I have wanted turbo for a long time.
            Lemme tell you a story of the young not-yet-bearded broke college student who bought an E30 as a track car. The young sophomore bought the e30 thinking it would be a great starting track car, and that simple coilovers and 24v would make it eat up e36s and other cars on track. Then young sophomore rode in a track prepped E36, and began to add up costs. Over and over and over, the student visited bimmerworld, ground control, vorshlag, and turner. Over and over and over, he added up prices for suspension, brake, tires, wheels, interior, and finally engine swap and performance costs. Finally, he realized that it would cost far more money to make his E30 70% as capable as a barely modded E36 on track than it would cost to just buy an E36, and already have the motor he wanted with the brakes he wanted with the suspension he wanted with the ability to fit tires like he wanted. The student cried out, "Goddamn it, I don't like the e36, they don't look like E30s, wah wah wah," but there was no answer, only the knowing smirk of people who had gone down that road before. Then the student did the smart thing: he saved up and bought an E36 M3 for far less money than it would have cost to make an E30 even near it in terms of performance. Now, that young broke college student is happy and content with his decision, and realizes he should have just bought the E36 from the get-go.

Now, I tell you this long and rambling tale in the hopes you'll see something in it. Buying an S13/14 with the plan to motor swap it, 5-lug swap it, put coilovers in it, brace the crap out of the chassis, and so on sounds exactly like what I wanted to do to my E30. If you go down that road, you will have spent much more money on a car that ultimately will handle and brake worse than an E36, be much less livable as a DD and much less fun, forgiving, and competitive as a track/autox car.

Do it right the first time: save up longer and buy an E36. You really cannot go wrong with one. Don't be penny wise but pound foolish.

Or buy an S2000. Those are insanely awesome cars too.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

MHW's take forever to find! I hate my "period-correct-rare-overpriced-parts" hobby.

Last edited by blefevre; 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

HDR tone mapped hipster photo.....because I am bored...

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Chris, I was thinking of putting together a Subaru for a next track car but I'm not sure if that's what I really want... It was toss up between an e36 or just buying like an 05 STi... Now... I hadn't remembered / considered the S2K until now... I'm very familiar with the Subaru world, but between the M3 and S2K, which one's PROBABLY more reliable, cheaper, more fun, etc. etc. etc. on track. I don't mind the vert, unless I can find the Spoon hard top, I'd just put in a cage / bar right away.... I've never driven an S2K but I'd imagine it'd make me smile.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                  Originally posted by DTM190
                  "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                    MHW's take forever to find! I hate my "period-correct-rare-overpriced-parts" hobby.

Looks good, MHW's are nice but now you need some color like a bright ass momo to help with the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                      Chris, I was thinking of putting together a Subaru for a next track car but I'm not sure if that's what I really want... It was toss up between an e36 or just buying like an 05 STi... Now... I hadn't remembered / considered the S2K until now... I'm very familiar with the Subaru world, but between the M3 and S2K, which one's PROBABLY more reliable, cheaper, more fun, etc. etc. etc. on track. I don't mind the vert, unless I can find the Spoon hard top, I'd just put in a cage / bar right away.... I've never driven an S2K but I'd imagine it'd make me smile.
                      The S2000's power will not make you smile. The only way you can tell they are quick at all is by looking at the speedo as you accelerate. In a straight line, most any S2000 will be slower than a bolt-on E36 M3.

However - The handling of the S2000 is absolutely criminal. It's unbelieveably good, especially once it is setup well.

Reliability: The Honda wins. No question. The front brakes are a little undersize, but that's a simple fix. And everything else is bulletproof. You can break a rear diff in the S2000 if you are launching it a lot, but that's about it. They are also very stout motors and can handle a fair amount of boost without being built. I've tuned a turbo S2000 with a GT30R on an otherwise stock motor and it was really fast even at 10psi.

Overall I think the M3 is a little more novice-friendly, the platform tends to be very forgiving (read: understeers at the limit) and it does have a lot more power when you aren't at 9-trillion RPM.

The S2000 can run the same 255/40-17 tires as the M3, and an AP1 or AP2 S2000 with typical bolt-ons will weigh between 2550 and 2700lbs with fuel and no driver. Very well balanced. Easy on tires, reasonably easy on brakes (better if you duct to the fronts and/or do a brake upgrade of some kind.)

I'm still tempted to buy an S2000 instead of my M3 as a track car, but I've already got so much invested in my car that it would be a waste to not use it.
                      Chris
                      97 M3
                      01 325
                      Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

I hear ya, and coming from an e30 I think an s2k would be silly fun.... I'm just wondering what would be better for ME when set up... I know the M would be cheaper but the motor in the s2k draws my attention, and I'd most likely do some simple bolt ons and focus on brakes and suspension... But an M would be faster and prolly cheaper... Relatively speaking

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                        Originally posted by DTM190
                        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Now I'm just having fun arguing, I haven't been around m y brother in over a week.

I guess my question was: what Japanese car for similar money to the s13/14 is going to be fun on the track and better than the E30? I am not looking for a race car. I want something that is fun, and Japanese. I think the S13 fits that pretty well. I read an article on Sport Compact's website that talked about putting the foamy stuff they use in factory Acura chassis for stiffening. It was about $100 and they said it made a significant difference in stiffness. I almost want this car just as much for tinkering with all of the aftermarket support as I do for the track.

Comment

a Datsun 510
                            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy2g3 View Post
                              I can't seem to get the axles off my ix so I can pull the engine. Any advice?

pull harder. there is a snap ring on the passenger side. its a bitch, but will come. try a slide hammer.

Comment

Scoob passed with oem suspension installed this time.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X