This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 and 5 are both valid points :)

I just don't think a stock 325is with stock gearing has enough power, at this elevation, to not have enough traction. That is a weird sentence.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
      Correct, any size tire that you want to wedge onto stock size wheels. You can't touch the fenders.

IMO, an "is" is a better platform than an "ix." The IX is tall and heavy.
      the ix is 145lbs heavier than the is. And isn't the weight minimum the cars weight including the driver? So I can get the car down to 3010 with me inside it correct?

Roland, what the E36 318is, and what is option 704?
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Correct, any size tire that you want to wedge onto stock size wheels. You can't touch the fenders.

IMO, an "is" is a better platform than an "ix." The IX is tall and heavy.
        Please stop.The ix is not that much heavier, about 150lbs.It is about the same height as a stock is as well, maybe a little taller.

Comment

Dude, I've been autocrossing a long time. And I'm pretty good at it. So, if you'd prefer I not offer my (educated, valid) opinion, that's just fine. But maybe you should realize that I'm not singling your car out and saying why it isn't the best car in the world for everything, and understand that I'm showing you valid reasons why it isn't the car I would start with.

The ix IS taller. And heavier. Both of these are bad for stock-class autocrossing. There's guys that will buy and sell cars just to get the right option packages to save 10-20 lbs or get an extra 0.5 degree of negative camber.
          Chris
          97 M3
          01 325
          Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            1 and 5 are both valid points :)
            right?!!

I passed up on a manual 325ix touring back in germany. It was awesome, and i'm sad I didn't buy it! Retard chick that bought it wrecked it a few months later.

ix or is, i think it would be fun to build one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              the ix is 145lbs heavier than the is. And isn't the weight minimum the cars weight including the driver? So I can get the car down to 3010 with me inside it correct?
              No minimum weight in stock class.
              Chris
              97 M3
              01 325
              Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Roland, what the E36 318is, and what is option 704?
                -15x7 wheels (225/45/15 Hoosiers)
                -50/50 weight distribution
                -RWD
                -2600lbs
                -LSD
                -Option 704 (sport package) includes stiffer springs, stiffer swaybars, lower ride height (all HS legal)
                -1993 was the lightest of all the E36 318is (that were available with LSD and sport package, not offered in 1992).
                -No shitty E30 rear suspension

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                Please stop.The ix is not that much heavier, about 150lbs.It is about the same height as a stock is as well, maybe a little taller.
                150lbs is A LOT. iX is significantly taller too to where it would matter.
                Last edited by Roland H; 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

21mm taller for the IX, according to this site.

The gearing doesn't look real good for autocrossing either, with the shorter final drive ratio. Although, to be honest, neither car has particularly good gearing for autox with second gear ending well under 60 mph.
                  Chris
                  97 M3
                  01 325
                  Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

No minimum weight in stock class.
                    but it has to keep the full interior correct?

Roland, that 318is sounds good!

Comment

Roland, that 318is sounds good!
                      It's a cheap car that can do extremely well in stock class for not much money.

Disclaimer: I don't actually have one. That's just my semi-realistic autox car if I ever get back into it. That or an FSP 2002.

Comment

but it has to keep the full interior correct?
                        Yes, the only things you can remove in stock class are the floormats, spare tire and jack, and tools from the toolkit. Stock is pretty limited on allowances.
                        Chris
                        97 M3
                        01 325
                        Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                          Dude, Chris has a national autocross championship to his name. I'd listen when he talks.

Chris, what class do you think a Z4M coupe would be best in autocrossing? I'm thinking with epic tune/csl box/headers/3.5" it would be ~350whp without going inside the motor, so combine that with semi-e36 wheelbase/track dimensions, it might be pretty awesome fun in BSP.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I think the real question is where the Abarth will be placed :P I can see myself getting into Autox with it.
                            Last edited by blefevre; 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

I think the Abarth will make a great autox car.

I also think the forthcoming Toyota-baru FT86 will be spectacular IF they keep it as light as they are claiming (2425 lbs, 200hp).

I haven't ever driven a Z4M but it seems to have a good recipe for success. Depends on how wide it is, and how well it can put power down. Although, 285-315s usually fix any power application problems.
                              Chris
                              97 M3
                              01 325
                              Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

21mm taller for the IX, according to this site.

The gearing doesn't look real good for autocrossing either, with the shorter final drive ratio. Although, to be honest, neither car has particularly good gearing for autox with second gear ending well under 60 mph.
                                3.64 euro iX gears ;)
                                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                                X