Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not legal for stock class autocross. Must be available in the US.

I should note, all my comments are coming from a National-Level competitive autocrossing point of view. I do think it's possible to make an early 325is very competitive in GS, on a national level, with some careful prep.
    Chris
    97 M3
    01 325
    Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
      Not legal for stock class autocross. Must be available in the US.

I should note, all my comments are coming from a National-Level competitive autocrossing point of view. I do think it's possible to make an early 325is very competitive in GS, on a national level, with some careful prep.
      does federalization count as available in the us? Not wanting to get into an autox argument as I have never been, would be nice to get some experience especially before HPR open lapping days, which i would love to make sometime...
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

No, it has to have been sold in that configuration, new, in the US.

Honestly, for local autocross I wouldn't sweat it. The first few times you're out, you will not be competitive enough to upset anyone.

Also - the BMWCCA autocrosses offer a lot more bang for your buck. We are having a school in the spring that will be excellent seat time and experience.
        Chris
        97 M3
        01 325
        Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Dude's I'm digging the fantasy builds. I'm def going to do the BMW CCA autocross school next year. I'm on a 24 month plan to buy / build a GTS / German Touring __ NASA / SCCA car. Autocross time will only help with the skill set. I'd like to time trail the M Coupe next year and do as many open track days as possible. I'm thinking camber plates and dedicated wheels / rubber are the most I'll be able to afford through the winter. Then keep my eyes open for a built car after next season. I have a partner who is willing to split the cost. Not sure if it will be an E36, Z3 based Coupe, or E30. My fantasy car would be a salvaged titled S54 powered M Coupe. All the fun and none of the worry of tracking mine.
          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I'd love a GTS4 car:

E36 M3 shell, S54 swap, aero, PFC or Stoptechs, AST5210 or Motons or JRZ, win.

Or, likely,

My car + ITBs + Cams, + exhaust + the price difference to an s54 swap going to fix and update/maintain the car before more silliness happens.

And then enter it in Pikes Peak.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

This was my dream GTS _ car:

PLEASE READ FIRST - This car has a salvage title. If you are not comfortable with that, please read no further. Please keep comments on salvage title out of this thread. I encourage a PPI and will be happy to take car to shop of choice. Car was not hit hard. Had LF damage. No structural damage which ...

It sold for the same price as most prepped E36 spec M3's I've seen.
              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

IMO, stay in GTS3 or slower - GTS4 and GTS5 are a lot more $$ to be competitive, and the Porsche's there tend to be very fast. GTS2 and GTS3 can be dominated by a well driven BMW.

As for Time Trials - Check out the NASA 2012 schedule: http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nas...ead.php?t=4900

Nasa TT webpage: http://www.nasa-tt.com/

I will be at both PMP and HPR weekends, and I may try to make Hallett as well. Also, I will attend at least one NASA-Central event at Hastings (schedule not yet posted.)

My car will be within 1 point of max'd out for TTB next year. I'm pretty excited about next season!
                Chris
                97 M3
                01 325
                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Chris how long does it take to move through HPDE 1-4? I'm assuming I could demonstrate that in the course of one HPDE. I've got a record of running in A group (open passing) at the CCA schools last year and a few instructors that could vouch for me. I would be keen on doing both PMP and HPR. I would love to Hastings too. I've seen that track from the air, it looks awesome.
                  JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

With a conversation with the lead HDPE guy, they would probably start you off in 3. Usually takes a day of running in 3 and another day after a check ride running in 4 to be fully signed off (at which point you can apply for your TT license.) So, it's possible to do it in one weekend, but it does depend on the availability of instructors.

Once you're in HPDE3, you can run a transponder, and HPDE4 runs with TT so there isn't much difference aside from not being able to set track records and collect contingency prizes.
                    Chris
                    97 M3
                    01 325
                    Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Cool. That would be good to get a solid 2 days coming off winter to get current too. I def plan on following that path. I'll have to look at the rule book to see where the M Coupe falls in the GTS power to weight. I know most of the dedicated race cars on Bimmerforums are non-M Z3 Coupes because it is more competitive.
                      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                        Cool. That would be good to get a solid 2 days coming off winter to get current too. I def plan on following that path. I'll have to look at the rule book to see where the M Coupe falls in the GTS power to weight. I know most of the dedicated race cars on Bimmerforums are non-M Z3 Coupes because it is more competitive.
                        You could always de-tune your S54 to make a sh*tload of torque across the board and fit within whatever power window you want. That motor is perfect for NASA GTS, it just needs some rod bearings and ARP hardware.

Comment

I would guess the coupe is a GTS3 car to start (full weight.)

Has to be 11:1 or higher for GTS3.

Figure 280whp out of a stock car, so 3080 on the scales with driver, cage, etc. Seems doable
                          Chris
                          97 M3
                          01 325
                          Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

All these autox classes are confusing me. Where is a quick overview without reading the entire rule book?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                              All these autox classes are confusing me. Where is a quick overview without reading the entire rule book?
                              For SCCA there is no such thing as a quick overview. :/

Comment

The wikipedia article on autocross gives a really quick overview.

Basically: Allowed Modifications

Stock: R-comps on stock size wheels, aftermarket shocks, aftermarket swaybar (front or rear), catback exhaust, drop in air filter.

ST: coilovers, swaybars, intake/header/exhaust/tuning, 140+ treadwear tires only, wheels open to within class limits for width

SP: ST, but with r-comps and no emissions

SM: all allowances from Stock, ST, and SP, plus drivetrain is completely open as long as it is from original manufacturer, suspension must attach to stock mounting but is otherwise open, rear seat can be removed

Prepared/Mod: no idea, those classes have their own rules unrelated to anything else.
                                Chris
                                97 M3
                                01 325
                                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X