This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Project

I wanted to take the M20 out over the winter to check it out and fix any issues that arose. Thus far, things have been looking good. I got the head pulled off last night, and there is definitely some deposits that I'll be glad to be cleaning off. The motor was UNBELIEVABLY dirty. Like, 1/4 inch think mixture of oil and dirty everywhere dirty. The area around the timing belt looked like a birds nest of shit. Nonetheless, here is what 170k of wear can look like.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Anyone have some good suggestions on how to remove those deposits without scratching anything?

1989 325i Alpine White
    69 STX

Comment

I'd just take the head to a shop and get a valve job done, have them replace the guides if they need it. They'll clean it all up for you while they work on it. Heads by Drew in Aurora is my go to place to get a head worked on.

Comment

Drew at Heads by Drew is a cool guy, I had him machine down the mating surface of my head and he and pressure washed it and checked my valve guides for free. He had just got a flow bench when I picked up my head about a year ago.
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Awesome. I live pretty close to that. I'll give him a call. Thanks!
          Estimated cost?

1989 325i Alpine White
          69 STX

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMiniS View Post
            Awesome. I live pretty close to that. I'll give him a call. Thanks!
            Estimated cost?
            Couldn't say, I've only had dohc heads done (and he's always been cheaper than anyone else I've asked). My incredibly complex S38 head was only $725 to rebuild, and he replaced the exhaust valve guides, resurfaced the head, cut the valve seats, and set the valve lash on all 24 valves. Everyone else I talked to wanted $1000+

I'm probably dropping off a volvo head there tomorrow.

Comment

My blizzak w60 story... On my way home last night the rear end started vibrating like crazy and here is why.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	7163945
              Turns out a 3rd season was not in the mileage chart...
              sigpic

Comment

Hey all, new E30 owner! I live in the Wash Park area (just south of it, but who's counting?) and pumped to finally get my E30 project rolling. First step is a set of 15x7's. Anyone have some lying around? :)

I'll have to swing by a meet sometime. The D&B meet might be fun to go to this weekend...

My 318is:
                Exomotive Exocet
                1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Originally posted by bcausey View Post
                  My blizzak w60 story... On my way home last night the rear end started vibrating like crazy and here is why.[ATTACH]81151[/ATTACH]
                  Turns out a 3rd season was not in the mileage chart...
                  yikes. any idea of what caused it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                    No idea- they quote 12-15k on the miles. Must have been close enough. The whole thing shredded on both inside and outside of the sidewall.
                    As you can see there was tread there. Luckily no damage to the ix. Strong like bull. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7163946
                    I'd like to think it was the overpowering m20 with tires not able to keep up.
                    Last edited by bcausey; 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bcausey View Post
                      I'd like to think it was the overpowering m20 with tires not able to keep up.
                      definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by BTD View Post
                        Hey all, new E30 owner! I live in the Wash Park area (just south of it, but who's counting?) and pumped to finally get my E30 project rolling. First step is a set of 15x7's. Anyone have some lying around? :)

I'll have to swing by a meet sometime. The D&B meet might be fun to go to this weekend...

My 318is:
                        hey man, I'm just a little west of wash park so I'm sure I'll see you rolling around! Welcome to the fold.

Comment

Welcome BTD!
                          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                            When I see things like that, its almost always because it was driven on with low tire pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by S14pwrdE30 View Post
                              When I see things like that, its almost always because it was driven on with low tire pressure.
                              Maybe but unlikely - all 3 others are same pressure and mileage. This one just shredded at 70mph. As if the tire separated from the sidewall. Could have had a small undetected defect somewhere. Who knows. Good thing is the ix held up fine. Not sure if the rim is ok yet. Thank goodness for spares.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have the BMW spring tool for adjusting E30 valve eccentrics? I can pick it up and return it today.
                                JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
                                X