2. Put it in my E30
    3. Drive

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      1. find awesome deal on S50 drivetrain
      2. Put it in my E30
      3. Drive
      Yep.

I was talking about BMW, not people wanting to swap their E30.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
        I just doesn't make engineering or financial sense to completly start from sratch for the S50/52/54. But hey, that doesn't stop them and I never actually looked into the subject.
        The S54 is the final, most powerful evolution of the M50 engine line, incorporating individual throttle bodies, drive-by-wire throttle control, and variable valve timing (VANOS) for both intake and exhaust camshafts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S54B32).
        89 325i (Sold)
        95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
        2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
          The S54 is the final, most powerful evolution of the M50 engine line, incorporating individual throttle bodies, drive-by-wire throttle control, and variable valve timing (VANOS) for both intake and exhaust camshafts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S54B32).
          Wikipedia? Seriously?

I'd hardly call it an evolution.... yeah, the oil system might be interchangeable, but beyond that, they're totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by colorado_cabrio View Post
            That's what I'm saying the s50/2 and s60/2 are all pretty closely related to their standard counterparts. They did all evolve from the standard motor.

s14 and s38 did not evolve from the m10/20/30, rather were independently developed along side
            "What makes the S14 engine unique?
            The E30 M3’s S14 engine was designed for racing applications and is therefore compact and high-revving. It combines the basic four-cylinder block from the M10 family with a four-valve head derived from the one used on the six-cylinder M88 and S38 motors. Special features of this engine include individual throttle plates for each cylinder, machined intake and exhaust ports, and a crankshaft with eight counterweights. Like the M88 and S38, the S14 does not have hydraulic lifters, and thus requires periodic valve adjustments."

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Sporting legend
              The sentence has become a legend: "Mr. Rosche", said the BMW Chairman sometime around the beginning of the 1980s, almost as an aside to his engine designer, "we need a sporty engine for the Three Series." Eberhard von Kuenheim knew exactly who he was motivating to take action: Paul Rosche was not only the engineering managing director of M GmbH, he was also the father of the turboengine which had powered Nelson Piquet to victory in the 1983 World Championship, driving a Brabham BMW. And as far as Rosche was concerned, a sporty car had to do one thing: win.
              That was when the M3 was born.

Basic engine as in Formula 1.
              However, the designers of the sports engine weren't exactly standing there empty-handed. The right ingredients for the projected engine were available, the mission was simply to put them together in the right way. The crankcase of the four-cylinder engine was available as a basis. This was being installed as a solid two-litre engine in volume production. Paul Rosche had long since found out about the potential really contained in the grey cast-iron housing.

It was this block that was to form the foundation stone for the champion engine of Formula 1. Four cylinders didn't simply mean less weight and high torque for blue riband performance, but also offered ideal specifications for the projected sports engine. BMW had already introduced the six-cylinder era in the 3 Series. But no matter how smooth and powerful the running of the in-line engine was, it had one major disadvantage for racing given the technology available at the time. As the engine speed increased, the length of the crankshaft meant that it started to vibrate much earlier than the short four-cylinder shaft. The designers therefore designed the crankshaft drive of the M3 as stiff as possible so that it could achieve in excess of 10,000 revolutions per minute. By comparison, at that time the four-cylinder of the 318i delivered its maximum output at 5,500 rpm. The engineers were already aiming for a rated speed of 6,750 rpm for the road version of the M3, i.e. they left plenty of scope upwards.

Development goal Group A racing car.
              However, any plans for a performance-enhancing supercharger had to be put to one side. A turbo was out of the question on homologation grounds. From the start, the fathers of the M3 were also thinking in terms of use as Group A racing cars, with at least 5,000 units having to be manufactured within the space of twelve consecutive months. This meant that the M3 also had to be capable of operating as an everyday road vehicle. It was therefore ideal that the engineers had already enjoyed many years of outstanding success with four-valve technology, most recently with the M1 that had only just been discontinued. Paul Rosche recalls: "We started work immediately. One advantage was that the big six-cylinder originally had the same cylinder gap as the four-cylinder engine. We therefore cut two combustion chambers off the four-cylinder head of the M88 and bolted a panel over the hole on the rear side."

Potential for records: The first engine after two weeks of development time.
              The engineers then increased the capacity even further to 2.3 litres and the first prototype was now ready. Paul Rosche: "Whether you believe it or not - we had created an outstanding four-cylinder engine for the 3 Series within the space of two weeks. Under the development name S14, this engine was to generate headlines in sport and in volume production over the years to come. One Sunday, I drove to von Kuenheim's flat and gave him the car for a test drive. When he came back he said: ‘Good, I like it.' And that's how the M3 came into being."

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/10603317...#ixzz1I8fLGhPh

Comment

Thank you Eric. This is easier and much more enjoyable to read than pointless arguing.

Why was it called the S14? Because it was developed in 14 days...
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post

Why was it called the S14? Because it was developed in 14 days...
                  Yup, I read it in a bimmer or roundel magazine a while back who did an interview with Rousche. They had a running motor in only 14 days. He also said they would scour the junk yards for 02's to use on the turbo F1 cars! Blocks with about 50,000km's were the best to use because the molecules in the metal had time to settle/align, but the block hadn't worn out yet.... did I just give the engineers something else to argue about?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    Yup, I read it in a bimmer or roundel magazine a while back who did an interview with Rousche. They had a running motor in only 14 days. He also said they would scour the junk yards for 02's to use on the turbo F1 cars! Blocks with about 50,000km's were the best to use because the molecules in the metal had time to settle/align, but the block hadn't worn out yet.... did I just give the engineers something else to argue about?

Comment

Edit:

you guys got me on a S14 kick! NOTHING sounds better to me than a S14 with big thumpy cams and a carbon airbox!

Yans car before the engine rebuild

and not the best sound, but a super fast lap around the ring powered by an S14 :)

Comment

That is some awesome info!

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                          Wikipedia? Seriously?

I'd hardly call it an evolution.... yeah, the oil system might be interchangeable, but beyond that, they're totally different.
                          Yea it's the most reliable source in the world....duh its on the internet Bro so it must be truth. But seriously it is getting much better.
                          89 325i (Sold)
                          2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Awesome videos though Eric.
                            89 325i (Sold)
                            2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Hey so I just joined the forum(today) and ran across this thread looking to see if I could find some stuff for the e30 that I had traded for on CL and ended up seeing you guys have seen this iS before, and now have a question(It's the red non-running one).

For the forum member who looked at it, do you think its just the fuel pump and what led you to think that?

When I looked at it the guy said it wasn't the timing belt and said when someone looked at it they said it was just the pump, so I loaded it into the trailer and was on my way and haven't had a chance to look further into it because of work and school. The car is pretty much just going to be a track/mess around/summer project car so I'm not all too concerned about it's looks(and you all know how it looks haha)

Thanks for the time and glad I found this site!
                              Last edited by Supersurfer92; 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM.
                              1972 Datsun 240z - Cancer ridden, sold for parts
                              1990 Nissan 240sx - sold
                              1990 Bmw 325is - sold
                              1993 240sx convertible drift turd - Current Project
                              1992 Ford F150 - traded
                              1992 Jeep Cherokee - Sold
                              1987 Jeep Cherokee - Traded
                              2001 Ford Explorer - traded
                              1995 Subaru Legacy dailydriver

Comment

Originally posted by Supersurfer92 View Post
                                Hey so I just joined the forum(today) and ran across this thread looking to see if I could find some stuff for the e30 that I had traded for on CL and ended up seeing you guys have seen this iS before, and now have a question(It's the red non-running one).

For the forum member who looked at it, do you think its just the fuel pump and what led you to think that?

When I looked at it the guy said it wasn't the timing belt and said when someone looked at it they said it was just the pump, so I loaded it into the trailer and was on my way and haven't had a chance to look further into it because of work and school. The car is pretty much just going to be a track/mess around/summer project car so I'm not all too concerned about it's looks(and you all know how it looks haha)
                                welcome..

and which one?? the one that was in aurora??
                                sigpic
                                HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                                " enjoy the show "

Comment

Working...
                                X