Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that list of parts shouldn't add up to $2k. Unless he bought it all straight from BMW.

Comment

What do you guys think of this?

How difficult/expensive is a 5 speed swap?

I was reading it up and I found this list of things you need.

Originally posted by nando View Post
      transmission, clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate, flywheel
      5 speed pedal box (these are different depending on if you have an airbag or not)
      clutch master/slave cylinders & lines
      rear driveshaft
      shifter assembly
      The guy firmly believed that the M20 has a timing chain, despite me telling him it is a belt...is that a bad sign? Seems like he has taken good care of it...

$1750 seems like a decent price given the auto and the miles. I'll hopefully be checking it out soon.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

oooo...

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

the e30 could be sweet with some different wheels and a few things done to it, seems like a decent buy, good condition if you can live with an auto for a while...

That 5er is niiice!
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post

The guy firmly believed that the M20 has a timing chain, despite me telling him it is a belt...is that a bad sign? Seems like he has taken good care of it...
            Even if he firmly asserted that it has a timing chain even after you told him that your are an E30 enthusiast, part of an E30 online forum, and that you and everyone else knows for a fact that every M20 came with a timing belt, dude, i dunno. At that point I would have told him he is an idiot, and to take the dang timing cover off and PROVE it's a chain.

But seriously, go take a look. 5-speed swap can't be that hard. It is just literally bolt-on.

Comment

Dang! A fer real Euro E24 for a good price. And look at that interior!!

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                Even if he firmly asserted that it has a timing chain even after you told him that your are an E30 enthusiast, part of an E30 online forum, and that you and everyone else knows for a fact that every M20 came with a timing belt, dude, i dunno. At that point I would have told him he is an idiot, and to take the dang timing cover off and PROVE it's a chain.

But seriously, go take a look. 5-speed swap can't be that hard. It is just literally bolt-on.
                How difficult would a 5 speed swap be with jack stands? Also, how long would it take?

Comment

How difficult would a 5 speed swap be with jack stands? Also, how long would it take?
                  Dunno... if I had all the parts, and somehow didn't run into any ridiculous snags, rough estimate for me to do it would be a solid day, morning to evening. So 8-12 hrs roughly.

how difficult? About as difficult as swapping an engine, I would assume, which took me and a buddy approx 12-14 hrs (which doesn't include us going out and getting the motor from a junk yard).

Disclaimer: I have never done a 5-speed swap before, but it seems pretty straightforward. Just yank out drivetrain past the motor back to the axles, put in flywheel/clutch, bolt in the manual drivetrain back to the rear axles. Then slap in manual pedal bracket assembly and run clutch fluid line through the firewall to connect master cylinder to slave.

Comment

Kind of a long shot, but if someone is looking for a small camper we have one for sale.

Comment

lol

Comment

buy it for your e30

on another note, would anybody be interested in two 15inch hartge wheels and 4 new 205/55/15 tires? Two already mounted
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

is this guy out of his fucking mind!!!
                          sigpic
                          HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                          " enjoy the show "

Comment

Originally posted by hyperE30 View Post
                            http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2397074207.html
                            Offer 200 and see what kind of shenanigans follow lol

Comment

Originally posted by hyperE30 View Post
                              http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2397074207.html
                              All signs point to Yes, Very.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Offer 200 and see what kind of shenanigans follow lol
                                never, trying to get rid of mine

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                                All signs point to Yes, Very.
                                people that don't know shit like this idiot that thought they would fit his iX and then sell them for double than what he bought them for...
                                sigpic
                                HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                                " enjoy the show "

Comment

Working...
                                X