Subaru people - 11' WRX owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
    So the center must be viscous then. It isn't locked 50/50.
    True, it is viscous. Under most conditions it is near 50/50. There is considerable debate on how close it is, but the car doesn't turn into a FWD car when slip happens (like VW), so I'm pretty sure it keeps 50/50 as best it can.

I really want the STi's driveline in my scoob, but I've never been in a position where I needed it.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

A proper center and a LSD rear is good enough for street driving anyways. You have to be pretty dumb to mess up with that setup.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

In July I considered buying a new car. Of the new cars I considered: VW GTI 5 door, Mustang 5.0 and WRX 5-door. Here is a quick and dirty on all of them. Take it with a grain of salt as it's hard to fully judge in a 15 minute test drive.

VW GTI fit like a glove. Seating position near perfect. Seats, steering wheel ... perfect. Pedals 90% of a BMW. Shifter a little clickie, but it’s FWD. Tons and tons of room for a car it's size. Could fit four adults and the dogs. Interior fit and finish were superb. As much or more room than an e36. Drove like a nimble go kart on city roads. Did not have much body roll but I could still tell it was FWD. One wheel peal/no LSD :( Turbo 2.0l had plenty of power and low torque. 4th gear pulls with revs down low and you can still feel the pull. 3080 pounds with 12.1” front brakes. Stripped version no options ~25.5k

Ford Mustang GT – seats sucked balls, totally soft kock. Shifter sucked balls, way too short of throw, hard to find gears. Zero room for anything or anyone. MOTOR was GOD!!!! New 5.0 = MO POWWAAA. Steering felt like a BMW in the front. Well that’s because they pretty much copied the BMW front suspension set up – NO joke, they look nearly identical. Still felt like an American car Stripped version 29.5-31K 3600 pounds heavy pig. Big negative Transmission made of glass. Read this: http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=10539
        Positive… one of the last big V8s that will ever go in a new sports car that I could afford.

2011 WRX base not an STI – Steering wheel would not go high enough. Legs were close to hitting the bottom of the wheel in all positions. Seats, ok but no where near as good as the VW. Shifter very, very sloppy. Power was insane. Handling felt good, but suspension is still mushy with lots of body roll. Could be a track car but must stay 100% stock. Any mods and they overheat, blow head gaskets etc. Also heard they have oil starvation in long sweepers such as corner 1 at pueblo. Many people that track have had to replace motors. Room as good as the VW. Looks, too ricer :(. But 4WD is better than FWD. 3241 pounds with 11.6” front brakes. Brakes would not hold up to track abuse. Would have to upgrade to STi brakes. Stripped with no options ~26.5K

Overall, if I had to pull the trigger it would be the VW all the way. I’d lose the drift fun in winter and have to learn to except under steer at the track. I only track about 3-5 times max a year so in everyday life, the GTI would put the smile on my face more often.
        Metal Mover @ www.milehighcarhelper.com

Comment

Your thoughts on the GTI and WRX were almost the exact same as mine. As good as the GTI is, I just can't see buying it over the AWD and faster WRX for the same price. I can live with the FWD of the Abarth only because it is 170hp and 2200 pounds and unique, and hopefully cheaper.

I will say though, the more I think about it the more I am liking the idea of the WRX. I still am not convinced on the boy racer looks, but behind the wheel is a much more rewarding experience.

My test drive was 45 minutes with no sales man, I got to test it really well.

I was going to drive the Mustang 5.0. I just didnt mention it here because most people would go insane. But it's too much money for an unpractical car. I will gladly buy one in 5 years.

Edit: None of these cars are intended to be tracked. If I get an abarth I will do autoX, but that's it. A WRX will be a DD and nothing more.

Comment

For a DD and best bang for the buck, the WRX is a good CO car. What dealer are you working through? I bet you could have them bid against one another. If you want another contact, I went to GO off Arapahoe and can forward the person that was working with me.

Comment

How is the new car shopping going?

Comment

Originally posted by kablammo View Post
                How is the new car shopping going?
                I am waiting for the Abarth to be released on Nov 16th.

Comment

Working...
                X