Manual transmission rebuild shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual transmission rebuild shop

Good morning does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a manual transmission rebuilt in the Pacific Northwest?? I have a 260 that the 4th gear sincro has gone out and I'm looking to see if there's someone in the area that can go through the Box?

As far as I know the only place to get them rebuilt is through condor speed shop (if it's still available) or metric mechanic.

I would love to know though if anyone else has had theirs rebuilt locally

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Ask Hank at AdvancedAutoFab. He's out in Spokanistan, but if anyone's rebuilding/repairing them, Hank'll know.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

AlNwbmwfan if you find out can you report back here?

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

So after doing some research the only options I have found so far where Condor Speed Shop and Metric Mechanic. I spoke with Terry at Metric he was extremely helpful and their write up of what they do to the transmission really explains the work that they put into it. I think I'm going to go in that direction unless someone knows anyone else in the Pacific Northwest that will rebuild.
          P.S. I called the shop in Spokane I forgot the guys name but he said they no longer do it due to not be able to supply consistent rebuild results. He said that a good portion come back with issues. Not sure what he's experiencing but thought I should add that. Thank you everyone for making the suggestions lets see if there is someone else.

Comment

Yeah, there have been issues with the synchronizer rings, I heard. As in, they're made of cheapshittium and break apart.

It must have been a real problem for Hank not to have solved it- he's pretty resourceful and industrious. And he drives a big truck...

The other local resources to ask would be Kevin Doyle at KD Motorsports, or Bryce and Jordan Allen- and, shit, I'm spacing their shop's name. You can find them at raceronrails.com, tho.

But I don't know what you'll find- as of a couple of years ago, even the BMW remans were exploding. David Lumbra down in Eugene built me a 4 speed that was better
            than anything BMW ever pooped out- but he's been gone for almost a decade...

t
            this shit's getting old!
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              Yeah, there have been issues with the synchronizer rings, I heard. As in, they're made of cheapshittium and break apart.

It must have been a real problem for Hank not to have solved it- he's pretty resourceful and industrious. And he drives a big truck...

The other local resources to ask would be Kevin Doyle at KD Motorsports, or Bryce and Jordan Allen- and, shit, I'm spacing their shop's name. You can find them at raceronrails.com, tho.

But I don't know what you'll find- as of a couple of years ago, even the BMW remans were exploding. David Lumbra down in Eugene built me a 4 speed that was better
              than anything BMW ever pooped out- but he's been gone for almost a decade...

t
              this shit's getting old!
              Lumbra succumbed to cancer in 2015 or 2016. sucks watching all these old guys go away, especially if they never passed their knowledge on to the next generation. my mentor used to rebuild all the old Getrag boxes, but his memory is totally gone now... :/
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
              X