Should I rescue a 318ic?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ryann
    replied
    Sounds like a good parts car. Wish you would get me the damn VIN! If it's a '93 it would be 1 of 48. It would have the boss-less e36 style exhaust manifold, the updated AFM, and a 134a A/C system. May also have a small case S4.27.

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by daniel
    i'd say do it if they give it to you. otherwise stay away.
    Why don't you come get it! I'm thinking you still need an E30 in your life, right? ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • daniel
    replied
    i'd say do it if they give it to you. otherwise stay away.

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Small update: unexpected family in town for mothers day gave me less time than I was hoping for. I did sneak out long enough to check out the car quickly. I arrived on the street just in time to see someone pull out of the driveway and drive away. So surprise, no one was home when I got there.

    It's a 91 318ic, with 233,xxx miles on the odometer. This makes it old, but still 50k younger than my own e30 :)

    The bad: the fan that was on the hood has had a rough past. The bearings in the middle are shredded and the edge of the blades look sanded/melted off about an inch. Looks like it spun against something pretty bad. I was hoping it was there because the fan clutch was bad. Looks like it might be a lot worse based on that. The tires are bald and sit on stock bottle caps. The entire car is stock in fact. No really bad and obvious rust, but I didn't snoop too much. I knew I was coming back and the neighbor mowing his lawn across the street was giving me funny looks.

    So, I'm interested in the car if it turns out the owner wants to just get rid of it for cheap. But it probably doesn't run, may or may not roll based on how bad the tires look, and the interior is probably shot due to the hole in the roof. In other words, its a crap shoot. Could be fun though :)

    Do the interiors handle water better than a regular E30? Or is the assumption that they will Never ever see water, and rot out like the rest of our cars?

    Sorry this update wasn't any more substantial!

    Leave a comment:


  • stamar
    replied
    I think the 318 ic is about the most desirable e30 apart from the m3.

    likely to be valuable for many years.

    If it has the vinyl interior though Id transplant into it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    I'll admit that was way too many f#%*ing smilies...

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by Vivek
    They're really not that slow. I mean it's nothing compared to an m20 but not something that you can't have fun in or reasonably drive around. It'll power out of corners, spin the tires, etc, but don't expect to win any drag races.
    Originally posted by freeride53
    Oh yes it is. A properly sorted M42, chipped, with a few mods here and there can dice with a M20 car. I've spent a lot of time/money in my M42 and that bitch pulls.
    Besides, who gives a shit. Yes, albeit verts are heavier, but this car is known for its handling.
    First off, I wouldn't buy a vert so that I could start tearing up the streets. That'd be silly :)
    Second, my 325i is a very well sorted stripped out and chipped track car. My Dad's 325ix feels like a dog to me after driving mine. My expectations for a 318ic are not high. But, I'd want the extra air in my face, since my track car may have the sunroom sealed up soon :(

    I do appreciate that those with an M42 still really like their cars :)

    I'll try and grab the vin when I'm "admiring" the car this weekend :)

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Originally posted by Vivek
    They're really not that slow. I mean it's nothing compared to an m20 but not something that you can't have fun in or reasonably drive around. It'll power out of corners, spin the tires, etc, but don't expect to win any drag races.
    Oh yes it is. A properly sorted M42, chipped, with a few mods here and there can dice with a M20 car. I've spent a lot of time/money in my M42 and that bitch pulls.
    Besides, who gives a shit. Yes, albeit verts are heavier, but this car is known for its handling.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    I would rescue it no questions asked
    This.

    What's the VIN?

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    As far as "real world living" goes, I'm slammed m-f with my job. I'll stock the car and try and be creeper enough on Saturday to get an owner to come out of hiding. If no one comes out, I'll go the extra step and start taking pictures for you guys :)

    Leave a comment:


  • mother_russia
    replied
    Anything new?

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by AbeSonic
    Can you snap some pictures of the car?
    Maybe ;-)

    If I decide there is no way I'm picking the car up, and it's for sale, I'll let you guys know everything.

    Leave a comment:


  • AbeSonic
    replied
    Can you snap some pictures of the car?

    Leave a comment:


  • Gear_Head13
    replied
    I got my 318ic to a decent stopping point about a month ago & took her for little cruise up to Astoria from Eugene. It was awesome getting 30+MPG with the top down, sure it needs a Turbo but she handles like a champ!

    If you can get it for a fair price without a massive amount of work needed, pull the trigger. Summers coming!

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by mother_russia
    Don't EVER offer first..
    You never know.. These guys might think that the car's worth like a couple hundred bucks and give it to you dirt cheap...

    That's how I got my red 1990 325i sedan for $600 :)
    Originally posted by Jboss12
    Agreed. Just talk to him about it for a bit and ask how much he wants for it. If he is selling it of course
    Never fear, I would not walk up and make an offer. I keep hoping I'd catch someone out by the car working on it, as knocking on the door with the intention of chit-chatting about a car that I'm not offering to buy, but might buy if they were willing to sell feels odd.

    Leave a comment:

Working...