NEW PNW 318is OWNER :) Looking for parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW PNW 318is OWNER :) Looking for parts

Hey there guys. Names alex. I recently bought a 1991 318is for 1300 bucks. Drive it home to federal way from mercer island. Parked it, 2 days later it starts but dies after like 3 seconds. If i floor it, sometimes it will rev up like mad, other times it will die right away. vacuum leak? Looking for a new intake boot, rear valence, coil overs, climate control plastic part with clock, stock IS lip and maybe some ellipsoids. :) let me know what you got. Im in federal way but am willing to travel depending on what you got. can't wait to meet some folks on the forum and get a little wisdom from you guys. I used to be a honda guy. No more.

forgot to add exhaust on the list. mine is toast. full exhaust needed as well

Comment

I have depo elips ... PM me if you are interested.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Sounds like infamous M42 vacuum leaks.

Do this

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2742

Comment

There is a hose on the throttle body, on the left side. Probably 1/8" big. Check that. Sounds exactly like what was happening on my buddy's M42.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
            Sounds like infamous M42 vacuum leaks.

Do this

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2742
            I saw this and was looking into doing so. Just to make it clear though, is he swapping out all those hoses for just 1 hose? It was a bit confusing for me. Lol maybe I'm just being dumbdumb

When I get a chance ill check on that vacuum hose too. By left do you mean me standing on the driver side looking at the motor from the driver fender? Thanks for the help

Comment

Yes sir.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

you end up consolidating a bunch of hoses into one or two, it's kind of a pain in the dick but way better than the original configuration

it's the most likely cause of any vacuum leaks you'll have

see this post for a better illustration:

Comment

Welcome! M42's are great and super easy to learn on! Simple yet fun engines

post pictures:hitler:

Regarding the vacuum hoses, you can do the delete that everyone talks about or you can just replace that cracked hoses and keep everything the way it rolled off the assembly line ;) I replaced the few hoses that had wear/ cracks.
                  Transaction Feedback: -click here
                  [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
                  [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

good luck man, post some pix up!

1988 325is S50 in-progress.
                    http://www.facebook.com/E30LocalCrew
                    Few pictures:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255061

Comment

Congrats on the car
                      Originally posted by James Crivellone
                      1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Originally posted by That_E30 View Post
                        forgot to add exhaust on the list. mine is toast. full exhaust needed as well
                        I have an M42 cat and downtube if you need that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brilliantrot 318is View Post
                          Welcome! M42's are great and super easy to learn on! Simple yet fun engines

post pictures:hitler:

Regarding the vacuum hoses, you can do the delete that everyone talks about or you can just replace that cracked hoses and keep everything the way it rolled off the assembly line ;) I replaced the few hoses that had wear/ cracks.

x2. I decided to keep everything stock and just replace all the old hoses. The car ran like a dream after - perfect idle and startup, etc.
                          '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Ya, i think I'm going to keep it stock. Will replace whatever hoses look old and go from there. Hopefully nothing too serious. It makes sense that its a vacuum leak cuz i drove it home 30 miles or so. Drove fine. Hesitated at WOT sometimes but drove fine. Parked for 2 days and now its barely starting. Unless the guy that sold it, he was like 70, did some trick or tricked me, i doubt its anything serious. Im thinking the tubes were slightly cracked. when i drove it home, they heated up and when parked for 2 days, they cooled down more causing more cracking. well see. Pics will come soon :) sold the stock basket weave wheels today and slapped some nasty 17 that don't clear the front shocks on. Looking for new wheels and once she's started and rollable, ill roll her out and snap a few. Thanks for the welcomes :) I'm excited to be part of the e30 club haha:D

Comment

Face palm @ you selling your basket weaves. Another thing that won't hurt trying is go to napa or any auto store and buy a can of battery terminal cleaner and spray all your sensors in your engine bay, what happens most of the time is the contacts get corroded and the ecu doesn't get the signal of air coming in thus giving you a bad idle, also take a small brush and clean your spark plugs. If that doesn't fix it change your fuel filter put some injector cleaner in you gas and fix your vacuum leaks!
                              Transaction Feedback: -click here
                              [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
                              [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

Working...
                              X