Need help with my e21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with my e21

I know there are some e21 knowledgeable guys here along with the e30 guys who think they know everything about all cars (jk). I should have introduced it by now cause I've had it a while. Anyway, the car isn't starting. What do I do? jk it's seriously being a pain in the ass and I'm pretty stumped. I've gone through the entire fuel system and it's most definitely all functioning and feeding enough fuel to the engine. It's also getting spark and there seems to be no vacuum leaks. It's a K-Jetronic fuel system which I know tend to be really sensitive to vacuum leaks and work accordingly to the amount of air/fuel and whatnot. If I spray starter fluid right into the intake it will start for like a second but refuses to stay alive even with some lovin on the gas. Any mothe fuckin suggestions or nice people want to come by and check it out? I'll provide the usual beer and bbq.

1980 320i
    1991 318is
    1997 328i sport

how do you know its feeding enough fuel to the engine? older systems are fairly simple. If there is spark, fuel and compression it should be good to go. Have you checked the timing?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

really need a special fuel pressure gauge set up to test this CIS (continuous injection system)system , need to be able test supply pressure (injectors wont open below certain system pressure)and control side pressure as it warms up. most times people that dont know what they are doing have messed with the mixture adjusting hex screw in the airflow meter ,very sensitive adjustment ,once out will cause all sorts of issues. and most current new techs dont understand the system to diag or have the tools anymore
      Angus
      88 E30M3 X2
      89 325IX
      92 R100GS/PD
      :)

Comment

Does the fuel pump make noise for a few seconds when you turn the key to the "on" position before trying to crank it? If not, the in-tank pump may not be working, or the fuel pump relay may be bad. There is a way to jump the connections to bypass the relay, but I don't know how to do it.

Also, the cold start injector is supposed to kick in for the first 8+ seconds when the car is cold. It helps get enough fuel so it will start. That may be bad. I have an extra one, but it has been sitting a while, so not sure if it works.

Check and CLEAN EVERY fuse. They are sensitive to any corrosion. Make sure all the connections are tight. It helps to sand the ends of the fuses if you aren't going to replace them.

Also, the fuel line from the intank pump to the external pump can be easily overlooked. Mine was soggy to the touch, but visually it looked completely dry and in good shape. Prior to changing that out, the car would start but barely run. Maybe it is as simple as that for you too...

It sounds like a fuel issue, if it won't run any longer than the starter fluid lasts.

Send me a PM with your phone number if you want to discuss...

Tim

Comment

The e21 fuel system isn't exactly simple and definitely ahead of its time, similar to those used on modern economy cars. There's a fuel distributor before the injectors and there is plenty of pressure/fuel getting through, what definitely seems like enough for the engine to start.
          Tim, I did figure out how to jump the fuel pump relay and that wasn't the issue, I also got a new fuel injector relay. My very first guess when this happened was the cold start injector. I would really appreciate it if I could grab that one off you sometime this week

1980 320i
          1991 318is
          1997 328i sport

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

The only problem I've ever seen occur with the cold start injector is operating when it shouldn't be. Sometimes they get leaky and other times the thermo time switch fails causing it to spray during warm starts. Neither would likely cause your issue. Have you pulled a plug and looked at it yet?

A quick and easy way to verify system pressure is to check for fuel flow coming out of the fuel distributor through the regulator. It looks like a banjo bolt with some shims behind it. If you've got a weak pump or restricted filter the regulator won't open.

Comment

E21 fuel systems aren't fun to work on :/

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                Bluebird Bus Conversion
                New Oregon Trail

Comment

Was this a progressing issue or did it occur suddenly? The fuel injector o-rings on CIS systems get overlooked a lot, but if they're the problem you would've been having warm start issues prior to this.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                    E21 fuel systems aren't fun to work on :/
                    Has to be better than SPICA injection.

Comment

I directed the K-Jet mastermind toward this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                        Has to be better than SPICA injection.
                        SPICA's easy. Drive your piece of shit Italian car until it runs like ass, pull the pump and send it off for a rebuild ($1200), put the rebuilt pump back on. Done. :)

While I'm thinking about it, the old CIS SAABs and Rabbits I used to fiddle with had a small black and white cylinder shaped thingamajigger, can't remember it's name or what it does except for that it was mounted on the side of the fuel distributor and is supposed to emit an audible buzz while the key is on. If it's not working it will make the car run like dog shit or possibly not start in combination with other system issues. It had it's own separate relay.

Comment

If the cold start injector isn't working, it will be hard to start when it is cold out...or at least below the temperature where it kicks in (maybe outside temp of 55 degrees, I can't remember).

Comment

Any luck getting it running?

Comment

I'd help - but I only know a lot about 2002s.
                              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Working...
                              X