local driveshaft rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

local driveshaft rebuild

So my e28 has a driveshaft with very worn ujoints, surprise! Never saw that coming on a 30 year old car... haha

I would like a quick turn around time so am looking at places locally, anybody have experience with local shops and how much was the cost? I def. want a design that could be serviceable in the future, and would like to do it myself, but I dont have the tools or experience frankly.

I know Drivelines of Portland is super common, what type of joints do they use, though? I would love a upgraded unit but its just an eta and I do not plan on swapping the engine so whats the point...

pic of the car with my new ducati muffler!

Just got off the phone with Portland Drivelines, and times have changed.

They no longer have replaceable style u-joint driveshafts. They now make BMW OE style shafts that cost $495 with a $95 core charge.

Blunttech has a rebuildable driveshaft that they sell for the same price pretty much... anybody else have any experience with this locally?

really no input yet?!?! :(

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post

They no longer have replaceable style u-joint driveshafts. They now make BMW OE style shafts that cost $495 with a $95 core charge.
      yeah i called them last year to get a shaft shortened for a swap and they said they dont do that but offered me the same deal.
      my lady's grandfather told me about a place off 82nd in Portland that does drive shafts but i dont recall the name, ill try to find out
      WTB:m60b40 in PNW
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post

Blunttech has a rebuildable driveshaft that they sell for the same price pretty much... anybody else have any experience with this locally?

really no input yet?!?! :(
        but you're getting a really nice driveshaft for $500 lol
        '99 e46 323i - wrecked
        '87 e30 325iS - sold
        '91 e30 325i - sold
        '89 e30 M3 - fun car
        '09 e91 328i - sold
        '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
        '08 impreza - new rally car
        '01 996 tt - more fun car
        '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Dang. The one I bought from them was $360 a couple of years ago.

Comment

I'm watching this also, I will need a driveshaft for my M60B40/getreg 420g swap. Although I am leaning towards the Garagistic unit when the time comes.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Drivelines NW is telling me they can do a dana 2.5" conversion pretty easily, similar to what people here on the forum have done. Said it wouldnt be over 500

Thinking about going this route.

Comment

Call i5 driveline.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I5 told me they won't touch my driveline to get it shortened, and they don't have a jig for the two piece drivelines to balance them. Maybe the dude just didn't want to deal with mine..

Comment

I-5 told me they don't touch anything that is line welded

Comment

Going to resurrect this bad boy.

Anyone, have any recent experiences with getting their driveshaft rebuilt in the greater Portland area? Just looking to get the U-joints replaced, nothing fancy.

Comment

Driveshaft Services of Portland is the only one i know of that will still work with BMW driveshafts, and they don't even do them in house anymore.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                        X