NON E30 Content: Maston's IS300/Aristo swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NON E30 Content: Maston's IS300/Aristo swap

So, Someone was asking questions about this build, so I though I would do a quick rundown on what we are doing. Once this project is runner/driver,the E30 M60B40 mayhem starts. (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348287).

When we bought the car it was plastidipped the color of the front in this shot:

It had some hokey ass home made turbo setup, with a MS2 piggyback, that was piss poor at best. One day, after the 1000th wiring demon, and boost spike we couldn't explain, we said fuck it, sold the original drivetrain, and bought this:

It's in, for now, Mostly as a way to store it.

Now comes the Intercooler mock up:

8" off the ground, level with the bottom subframe.

CAD (cardboard aided design) Intercooler mounts:

Flipped the horns, they will fit in the void between the radiator, and the intercooler, also designed a new center support/hood latch support.

Maston had them translated to metal:

So, one of the quirky things about this build, we have to run both ECUs in Parallel, One to actually run the engine, and the other for everything else. we wanted to keep it looking as stock under the hood as we could. This is what I came up with, 2 ECUs 1 Box.

I gotta find someone to make that out of aluminum now. Still quite a bit to do, but it's well on it's way.

As long as the mods don't have an issue with this, I'll keep updating this, as progress happens.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

I'd love to have an altezza. I've contemplated selling my wrx for one but manuals are so hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by camip View Post
      I'd love to have an altezza. I've contemplated selling my wrx for one but manuals are so hard to find.
      This one started life as a Manual. For now, it's going automatic, until we can find a good manual option for the 2JZ-GTE. We sold the original, Weak, manual with the original motor. Right now we are leaning towards a T56 conversion in the future.

We are keeping all the manual bits, and the clutch parts for that reason.
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

What transmission came stock in the is300. Won't a r154 or w58 work?

Comment

I think this one came with a R155, It was the weaker of the 2 5 speeds I know that. The problem with the R154 and the W58 is finding one, and having the $3k+ to buy one. My Buddy had to leave his job, so this has kinda turned into a budget build, Hince one of the reasons we are staying with the stock aristo Auto for now,.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Alot happened recently.
            First, I had to take a 2 week mandatory vacation from here because a Douchebag in the forsale section.

So, Engine is back in, Wiring harness from tweak'd is in, ECU box is done, and installed, Everything except the intercooler is plumed and ready. Also, It now cranks, but no fire yet. Here is a few pictures.

Embedding thing isn't working, so here's a link.

we are having a fuel issue right now. Hopefully we will figure it out soon.
            Last edited by delamaize; 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

The Son of a bitch runs. We were a little excited, Ear rape warning, We got a little TOO excited.....

Video coming soon.

youtube finally got it processed...

IS300/Aristo First start. We got a little too excited.

Again, the embedding isn't working, so here's another link...
              Last edited by delamaize; 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM.
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Went out in the garage this morning, and started it again, Still hard to believe that it's actually running now, especially with the fight we had with it earlier.
                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Update time again! Drive shaft is in, New throttle cable is in, interior is back in, Shifter is situated and installed, actual fuel return line ran, MAF sensor is in a real housing and installed, Temp. Exhaust is installed.....

Got to drive it, at an idle, around the block, because intercooler is still not attached.

We are waiting for the last of the intercooler piping to come in the mail, and button up a few small things, and it's a runner/driver again, but not finished.

Shit's getting interesting now.

IS300 /Aristo swap leaving the garage for the first time in 6 months, alot has been done since this point.

We are having a brake issue though, it's super stiff, almost like the booster isn't working. But sometimes, after you hold it for a bit, it will start to give, like the booster is starting to work, and the brakes will progressively engage more and more, even though you are not pushing the petal any more. I suspect we may have smashed a brake line on the firewall when we installed the motor, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if that would cause this issue. I'm open to ideas!
                  Last edited by delamaize; 09-08-2015, 11:59 PM.
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

That is a mean raspy sound. Sweet build.
                    balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

Comment

A lot happened in the last few days. The last of the intercooler piping showed up, and I did some hacking to the bumper shell, it's runner/driver now, far from finished though.

Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Maston and I decided to do a little paint project today. Took off the last plastidip, and rattle canned the bumper white. Looks a lot better now. We talked about getting the right hardware to put the side skirts back on, strip the plastidip off it also, and rattle can it. Eventually we are going to repaint the whole thing.

Mechanically, we did some diagnosis on the Sequential turbo system. the 2nd turbo hasn't been spooling for some reason. I think we figured out, I think we have a bad actuator, or at least it doesn't have the right resistance. So we are looking for some valves and actuators to hopefully fix the problem.
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Cool project.

Comment

Another sequential setup acquired, with turbos. Eventually, this set will be sent off to be converted to disco potatoes....
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                            X