86 e30 5sp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 e30 5sp

Alright so I don't know know where to start so Ill just get on with it.

I bought this 86 e model about 2 months ago thinking everything was fine. Boy was I wrong.

On the way home started to overheat, pulled over come to find out the top radiator hose had came off the radiator. (Turns out a bit of the mounting hole for the top hose was broke) Put it back on and tightened it extra tight. Happened a couple more times but got home. No over heating.

Couple days later find a good working radiator. Removed and replaced old one. Still over heats.

At that point still would turn on and run but once it go to operating temp it would overheat.

Turn it on every day for less then 5 mins. Never dailyd it or nothing.

Then one day it doesn't turn on. I concluded it had a couple vacuum leaks specifically the intake mani gasket. Since it would run while I gave it gas once I let go of gas it would studder and die.

So I replace the intake mani gasket Tb gasket and put everything back together and at first it would run. Rough just like before so I let it be as to at that point still didn't know why it was overheating. Go to turn it on again a week ago and now it doesn't run again. While under load it will keep going. Once I let off gas I just dies.

DONT KNOW WHAT THE F*** is going on but I need to get this car going. Any help would be appreciated....

What I'm looking for is some one to help me diagnose. And repair if possible. If someone knows of anyone that would be willing to take a look that would be great if someone knows of a shop or private mechanic that would be cool too. Just need to get this car going.

Thanks Benito

Head gasket.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

do a compression check to see if the head gasket is bad,
      look at the motor oil to see if it looks like oil and not a chocolate milk shake which would also tell you the head gasket is blown and leaking coolant into the oil.
      are you losing coolant?

where the heck is MCM?
      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the input. Haven't been able to check compression but the oil looks fine. I'm taking it to a mechanic this sat and he'll diagnose it. I just don't have time

Comment

Checking compression takes 5min...

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Yea and I don't have a gauge. I need to get one first thanks tho

Comment

Originally posted by UgkNW* View Post
              Yea and I don't have a gauge. I need to get one first thanks tho
              I think O'rielys rents compression testers for the day for a few bucks.
              2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

So turns out my fan clutch was bad. I had a another vacuum leak from a ripped hose. Thanks for everyone's input ..

But now I'm in search of a radiator for my 5speed 86.

Recently bought one off Craig's but that shit leaked.

I stay in McMinnville or. And work in woodburn if that helps any. The thanks

Comment

I have a late model but sadly that wont work for you and I gave my early one away with the motor I just sold
                  Originally posted by bmwm42
                  PNW vulture pm me for parts
                  Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by UgkNW* View Post
                    So turns out my fan clutch was bad. I had a another vacuum leak from a ripped hose. Thanks for everyone's input ..

But now I'm in search of a radiator for my 5speed 86.

Recently bought one off Craig's but that shit leaked.

I stay in McMinnville or. And work in woodburn if that helps any. The thanks

Ebay 100$ aluminum

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Oh shit. Yup Just checked. Would the later model one work. thats mostly what's therrrrr.
                      Thanks.

Comment

I don't think it will work if it's still an Eta. You will have the early style cooling setup (where the return hose runs down by the Alternator and the overflow tank is on the Passenger fender..)

You'll need an early style, but it's the same as the 5 series M20 setups from the same vintage.
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

You could convert to an '88+ cooling system and use the eBay aluminum radiator, but that seems a little redundant.

You might try calling 1-800-Radiator or Discount Import Parts for a new unit for your '86. I know both can get one today, but I don't know your budget. Good luck.
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            I don't think it will work if it's still an Eta. You will have the early style cooling setup (where the return hose runs down by the Alternator and the overflow tank is on the Passenger fender..)

You'll need an early style, but it's the same as the 5 series M20 setups from the same vintage.
                            Yea I don't have the car in front of me but Yup everything is on opposite sides. But I did find some aluminum ones on eBay Ima probably just get on off there. Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                              You could convert to an '88+ cooling system and use the eBay aluminum radiator, but that seems a little redundant.

You might try calling 1-800-Radiator or Discount Import Parts for a new unit for your '86. I know both can get one today, but I don't know your budget. Good luck.
                              Yea I just remembered there different. And discount import wants 230 Ima just look on eBay and wait might as well. Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                              X