I think its time for an engine swap... Knoxville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its time for an engine swap... Knoxville

Now that I have a daily (04 Jetta TDI), I can have the 86 eta down for quite some time.
    So, where should I look for an engine? I am open to anything modern (m50 and newer), but it will be my first engine swap so I'd like something well documented -- or help :p.

Where should I look to find a good engine? Any of you local guys have something sitting on the side? Robert, I'm sure you know the good spots to look -- or may have something in the corner. I don't think the wife will let me take the N52.

Here she is (had it since 2002)... Now it is time to move onto the engine :)

I want to sell my complete S52 swap this winter, possibly. It would come with absolutely everything, and I'm in Knoxville! Beautiful early model, btw. I love euro bumpers.

Comment

There you go. More than adequate hp and tq.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Love your car man. Just so clean and classy looking.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You'd be getting a 260 getrag with an e30 m3 clutch setup, a 323i flywheel (~12lbs), an S52 converted for OBD1, probably somewhere near 100k miles, S50 thermostat, upgraded water pump, M/S50 manifold, TRM chip, 3.5" intake + hfm setup, polished throttle body, euro SS rep headers into a dual 2.5" straight midsection into a UUC System U, the whole engine harness, brake booster and master cylinder, engine mounts, the works.

I'm still pricing out my replacement, but if you're interested, let me know. Hell, I'm local so I could let you drive my car, hahaha.

Comment

OP, i still remember you from the roadfly days! good to see you still have your e30!

Honestly, why not keep the car period correct and maybe upgrade you m20 to a stroker instead of the newer motors like everyone else has, or maybe a m30 swap?

Sure the power wont' be as high as a newer engine would produce, OR give you increased MPG's, but consideirng this is a hobby car does it really matter?

IMHO, stay period correct...it'll be far more unique.
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
              You'd be getting a 260 getrag with an e30 m3 clutch setup, a 323i flywheel (~12lbs), an S52 converted for OBD1, probably somewhere near 100k miles, S50 thermostat, upgraded water pump, M/S50 manifold, TRM chip, 3.5" intake + hfm setup, polished throttle body, euro SS rep headers into a dual 2.5" straight midsection into a UUC System U, the whole engine harness, brake booster and master cylinder, engine mounts, the works.

I'm still pricing out my replacement, but if you're interested, let me know. Hell, I'm local so I could let you drive my car, hahaha.
              Sounds like perfect timing! I'm definitely interested and would love to get together and talk about it / drive it. :-) Let me know when you're ready.

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              OP, i still remember you from the roadfly days! good to see you still have your e30!

Honestly, why not keep the car period correct and maybe upgrade you m20 to a stroker instead of the newer motors like everyone else has, or maybe a m30 swap?

Sure the power wont' be as high as a newer engine would produce, OR give you increased MPG's, but consideirng this is a hobby car does it really matter?

IMHO, stay period correct...it'll be far more unique.
              I remember you from the roadfly days too! I've thought about keeping the m20 and was leaning that way at one point, but I think I've settled on an updated motor. It'll be fun in either case!

Comment

Amazingly awesome car! Haven't seen you on the roads here, but I'm not sure I'd be risking a loss in daily travel. :)

Comment

Originally posted by recall View Post
                  Amazingly awesome car! Haven't seen you on the roads here, but I'm not sure I'd be risking a loss in daily travel. :)
                  Thanks for the compliments. It was my only car for 9 years but doesn't get driven much anymore. I'm excited now that I can have it down for extended time without worry.
                  Last edited by netcsk; 10-10-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I have a M52, M54B30 and S52 in my possession currently. Picking up a S54 this weekend. I had a S50 but my brother snatched it up for his swap.

Also have leads on a freshly honed M20 w/ shaved & race balance M52 crank, pistons, and balanced rods for a fun 2.8l M20 stroker build.

What's your budget look like?

BTW.. still rocking out Josh's old 540?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                      I have a M52, M54B30 and S52 in my possession currently. Picking up a S54 this weekend. I had a S50 but my brother snatched it up for his swap.

Also have leads on a freshly honed M20 w/ shaved & race balance M52 crank, pistons, and balanced rods for a fun 2.8l M20 stroker build.

What's your budget look like?

BTW.. still rocking out Josh's old 540?
                      Sounds like you have the selection! I'm wanting to go with something that isn't too hard (documented) but has good reward - don't want to feel like I want a new engine in a few months. I'm thinking of spending up to $5k or so depending on what all is provided.

The 540 got caught up in the hail damage. Insurance payed out more than we payed for it from Josh (I worked them pretty hard) and I let them take it despite a very low buy-back, which was probably a bad move. The engine had developed some kind of hesitation/noise under constant load that neither I nor EAG could pin down and the radiator let go a couple weeks after the hail storm. We were looking to sell it after picking up an e90 to replace it so it worked out pretty well.

Comment

The M52 would fit a tight budget.. Could do a few things like S52 cams to beef it up down the road. I maybe able to grab the OBDI swap harness and sensors but will still need to find an oil pan and a few other items to complete the swap.

The S52 is a very clean quiet engine currently sitting in an auto 98 M3 with bad transmission I plan to part very soon but I'm asking a bit more for it than the M52.

I also have 2 ZF 320 transmissions and an extra Getrag 260 depending on what route you want to go there.

Comment

The M52 would fit a tight budget.. Could do a few things like S52 cams to beef it up down the road. I maybe able to grab the OBDI swap harness and sensors but will still need to find an oil pan and a few other items to complete the swap.

The S52 is a very clean quiet engine currently sitting in an auto 98 M3 with bad transmission I plan to part very soon but I'm asking a bit more for it than the M52.

I also have 2 ZF 320 transmissions and an extra Getrag 260 depending on what route you want to go there.
                          I think at this point I'm going to go with Mr Two's swap that he is pulling. If something falls through, I'll certainly contact you and see what you've got.

Comment

NP, you coming to the rally before you pull that engine?

Comment

NP, you coming to the rally before you pull that engine?
                              I had thought about meeting up with you guys for a day (the wife isn't into camping), but I'm going down with my dad and a couple friends to Alabama for the weekend for Bama game.

Comment

Working...
                              X