Shipping a car in NC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the uhaul will want a registered and insured car with plates... just sayin'.
    Really? Is that in the fine print? It must be cuz I rented a trailer to bring back a shell on one and dont remember them sayin that.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Also, keep in mind that the uhaul will want a registered and insured car with plates... just sayin'.

Good luck with transporting that.
      For a dolly not a trailer. Ask a buddy but someone local to you must have a two axle car trailer.

We have a nice rental featherlite on base, daily use is $25 a day.

Also check with your local Ford dealerships, most larger ones have a rental section. I rent from them as well, mine rents dump trucks under 12K GVAW used one last year to bring in soil for the yard. Cost me 100 bucks a day and diesel.

Edit: Dolly requires a plate and insurance because it's physically touching the road. Even though it's being towed.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

It looks like my father (a Range Rover guru) is going to be making the trip from MD this weekend to go pick this thing up with me. He has a friend in Asheville (from his 928 club) who owns a rollback and is going to get it moved to his lot. We'll dig into it there and hopefully have it running enough to get it home. I ordered the maintenance parts I need, along with a set of tires and he's bringing some spares from his '89 that should correlate with what we think is wrong with it. Either way, it's being yanked from the mud and moved tomorrow.

Comment

The good news is the car has been towed from it's muddy location to a friend's garage. The bad news is that when we arrived, the owner of the garage was nowhere to be found. Turns out he had a family emergency that took him out of town and forgot to tell us.

My father had made a 6 hour drive to NC to go with me to get this thing sorted and we had another 2 1/2 hour drive to Asheville and got nothing done.

Trip wasn't a complete bust though, we headed to a local salvage yard and grabbed a newer 4.3 from a '94, as well as a rust-free tailgate and a mint tan interior. All total, we spent $300 bucks for everything. Downside is we took the motor to my house, and not to our newly rented workshop where the work will occur.

Figured I'd toss out an update. Once I get the truck in the shop, a build thread will commence. Looks like this will be another ground-up.

Comment

Damn, I wish I would have seen this. I would have gone and gotten it for you, wouldn't be the first time I towed a classic RR =)

'88 325iX -Totaled
            '97 M3 - Sold
            '85 euro e30 Pete McHenry 2.8L m20 Stroker - Parting out
            '89 325is - Sold
            '95 540i 6spd
            '87 325is M Technic I s50

Comment

Glad to see you got it towed. My cousin is a broker for car haulers around here...

I spent all of high school and the first two years of college working on classic and new land rovers and range rovers. I don't know if you ever heard of a company called Reborn Co. out of Shelby, NC. But anyway, I'm looking forward to your build thread.

P.S. Our shop car at Reborn was a '66 MG with a 4.9 Range rover engine in it running mega squirt.
              sigpic

Comment

Good to hear.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

In other news, I am going to look at another classic this weekend I found on CL. The seller claims it just needs an alternator, but for 2K I have no complaints. I will probably end up flipping one of these to fund the restoration of my e30.

Comment

This thread needs some pictures.

I haven't seen you post the year range you have but by classic, I assume your talking about this body style

This was the parts truck/offroad toy at Reborn. 3 inch lift and at one time it had a diesel motor from a 5 series in it running off vegetable oil.

Here is the MG with the Rover engine in it. At this time it still had the 4.0l.

Here are some of my favorite rovers that we worked on/restored

/photo whoring
                    sigpic

Comment

something us Brits actually did right
                      '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Haha I don't know if I would say Rovers are done right. But they are awesome
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X