No announcement yet.

M30 5spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, just got back from the dealer, back to work.

Comment

Progress, let's just say FTMFL, I'll let Jean provide pics.

Comment

Day 1.

We got the stock drivetrain out of the car in about 2 hours. That's the exhaust, driveshaft, and complete engine/tranny with all of it's wiring/hoses.

Weight of the m10 engine + tranny is = 395 lb

M30 manifold was tapped and a 2nd nipple for a vacuum was installed, then manifold was installed on the engine along with the starter/alternator wiring for the positive side (battery post).

We installed the flywheel and then fucktard moment #1 happened. I did not have a pilot bearing on hand, and since my car came out of an automatic 735i probably had a little to do with it..... about 2 hours were wasted trying to locate one.

Bearing was installed, clutch installed, tranny attached to the engine.

M30 engine w/o exhaust manifold + g260 tranny weight is 540lb.

We then started installing the engine with the tranny as one unit. Removed a/c bracket and power steering pump to make room. After about an hour or so we manhandled the engine in the car. There is no fucking room at the back of the head, we ended up removing the passenger side mount to get the engine in the car. Lifted the car up, got the tranny side mounted to the car and then got the passenger side mount connected.

This fucking thing is BIG

Here comes fucktard moment #2. Throwout bearing is sitting on the trunk of the car!

SOB!!!

The engine is in the car but now needs to come out!!!

Now, did I mention clearance? There is no ROOM to get the top to tranny to engine bolts once this big chunk of engine is in the car!

I voted for dropping the subframe to get the engine/tranny out. We drop the whole thing out of the car, took about 30 minutes to do. Pull the tranny out, install the throwout bearing and install the tranny.

I don't know why I am smiling lol

Ready to go back UP....

End of day 1.
        Last edited by Jean; 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Where's the fucking pics.:hitler:

Comment

Haha awesome. Reminds me of trying to shoehorn my engine in without having a cherry picker so I had to suspend it from the beams in our barn and move the car back and forth to try and get the engine in. We put it in and took it out at least 5 times. Finally I just beat the ever living shit out of the firewall, taking out mhy frustration on the car and got it to fit. Good luck, keep the pics coming!
            Originally posted by LJ851
            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

that's awesome man. i like your osha approved foot protection.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
                that's awesome man. i like your osha approved foot protection.

They only know what I teach them, I wear sandals for everything, got married it Tevas wearing a kilt in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinepig View Post
                  They only know what I teach them, I wear sandals for everything, got married it Tevas wearing a kilt in Scotland.
                  i wear sandals for just about everything too, except for the really heavy duty stuff - then i wear running shoes.
                  i got married in the west indies in sandals, too.

Comment

I weld with sandals
                    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Thing of beauty! Can't wait to see a video of this running.
                      sigpic
                      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Your smiling because you have a lift. Good Work!
                        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          M30 engine w/o exhaust manifold + g260 tranny weight is 540lb.

Saved for future reference! Thanks man!
                          $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                            I weld with sandals
                            Me too.

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                            Your smiling because you have a lift. Good Work!

It aint his lift.

Running and out of the shop.

Comment

Those fucktard moments made me lol Jean. #2 was quite epic :p

Glad to see some progress was made. It wouldn't be a proper swap project without a few unforseen "moments" along the way.

Jon
                              Rides...
                              1991 325i - sold :(
                              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Car moved on it's own M30 power out of the garage, no exhaust on the car and it sounds pretty damn sweet! lol.

We started at 9am and in just over an hour or so had the engine/tranny back in the car. I'll have to say if you are doing this swap and have access to the lift, do it from under the car.

Issues that had to be addressed along the way.

1) passenger side brake line had to be moved out of the way or the back of the head would come in contact with it. Too close for comfort there.

2) high pressure power steering hose had to be extended, so buy 2 ft. of that.

3) I used e34 radiator hoses and e28 5speed radiator. Top hose fits fine, but the bottom hose needs to be longer. So you have to either extend the hose or get something else that would fit. The closest thing we could find at Car Quest is Radiator hose #22043.

I used g260/6 and b35 mounts and the big guibo driveshaft. The driveshaft was about 3/4" too short. Had to undo the center nut to extend the driveshaft, the sleeve end has about 2.5 or so inches of movement there.

e34 harness is short, barely enough to get the ecu end inside the car. I will be moving the battery to the trunk and keep the ECU and 2 relays in the engine bay (aka e32/e34 style).

Moving on it's own power

Huge thanks goes out to Pinepig, without his help this wouldn't be possible.
                                Thanks to Frank, Joe and others (you know who you are)I have exchanged many messages and emails with regarding this swap.
                                Last edited by Jean; 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM.
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X